Author Topic: HEREDITARY discussion (spoilers after first non-spoiler post)  (Read 1072 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
I'm kicking this off with non-spoiler talk.  HEREDITARY is great: feeling a bit like a spiritual sequel of sorts to THE WITCH.  Or, rather, to be more specific BABADOOK + THE WITCH - Black Phillip = HEREDITARY.0
 Every frame of this film drips palpable dread and tension, and I was constantly wondering where the story was going next (I had zero clue what the plot was going in other than “it’s scary/creepy”). All the actors are great, with Toni Collette turning in a brilliantly nuanced performance. The film is a master class in sound design, and utilized the dark & shadows to great effect (something SOLO seemingly strived for but missed the mark): all while expertly setting up the story very deliberately, taking its time to take the audience where it ultimately wants. My Apple Watch “told” me to breathe twice during this film, a pretty rare thing!

Toni Collette is incredible in this film. She's a great, nearly impeccable actress generally, and I think this is a career-best performance for her.

By the time you realize Ari Aster has made a film intended to hurt you, it's too late. You're in it. There is something sinister in its alchemy; by the end of the film, I was wrung out by the palpable feelings of evil I had just experienced.  You don't realize how deep you're in it until you're well past the point of no return, and by then you're compelled to stick it out: if for no other reason you have to see if this poor family makes it out or not.

It's hard to talk about how truly great this film is without talking about plot, but this film works as 'horror' in so many different aspects it really wan't until the last couple of reels when I (and, I suspect, a lot of the audience) truly realized the severity of the situation.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie since I saw it Friday early afternoon, which is always the sign of an incredibly effective film

HEREDITARY feels about as close to a perfect horror movie as it comes.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
Re: HEREDITARY discussion (spoilers after first non-spoiler post)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
SPOILER POST.

It's awesome! Saw it last night. I think it will go the way of the witch and it follows. Early buzz from high critic praise but it won't satisfy general audiences. It's very slow and overly long at 2 hour plus run time. It's more on the artsy side.

That being said, what a payoff for your patience.  Really great final act. They brought it all together in a terrifying way.  I had even wondered why Charlie, the young girl, wasn't all that likeable of a character.  Not that I was at all happy to see a young girl die, I understood the pain of her parents, but figured there had to be a reason her character did some unlikable things.

And definitely some fresh visuals and scares at the end. Although it is slow, the mystery of what is going on keeps u engaged throughout

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

I had heard great things about this movie and I'm afraid I went in with oversized expectations.  I liked it, but I kept expecting MORE, a crazy twist or something.  I do find myself thinking about it, randomly, which means it made a impression on me.  The acting is superb, especially Toni Collette and Ann Dowd.

The two men sitting by me got up and left after the swerving car incident.  Which was totally gross, of course.  And there was grumbling around me at the end.  My daughter saw it and said at her showing there was laughing at the floating headless body scene.

Overall though I'd recommend it.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
This is exactly what I was telling my friend. All the hype about it being the scariest movie ever and all that was going to leave people disappointed. This film was about 4 genres or films rolled into one and incredibly slow for most of the film. People looking for thise scary thrills will get impatient
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SPOILER ALERT

I had heard great things about this movie and I'm afraid I went in with oversized expectations.  I liked it, but I kept expecting MORE, a crazy twist or something.  I do find myself thinking about it, randomly, which means it made a impression on me.  The acting is superb, especially Toni Collette and Ann Dowd.

The two men sitting by me got up and left after the swerving car incident.  Which was totally gross, of course.  And there was grumbling around me at the end.  My daughter saw it and said at her showing there was laughing at the floating headless body scene.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

I heard some huffing in the crowd too. It's for horror movie buffs and ppl who like artsy stuff. It's right up my alley but not what I would call a crowd pleaser

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
This is exactly what I was telling my friend. All the hype about it being the scariest movie ever and all that was going to leave people disappointed. This film was about 4 genres or films rolled into one and incredibly slow for most of the film. People looking for thise scary thrills will get impatient
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed. Really no thrills at all, just a couple little jumps and some grossness. 

I heard some huffing in the crowd too. It's for horror movie buffs and ppl who like artsy stuff. It's right up my alley but not what I would call a crowd pleaser

I think if I'd gone into it with "artsy" in mind I'd have enjoyed it more. But now I kinda want to see it again and be in an "artsy" frame of mind rather than a "scary" frame of mind.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
SPOILER POST.

It's awesome! Saw it last night. I think it will go the way of the witch and it follows. Early buzz from high critic praise but it won't satisfy general audiences. It's very slow and overly long at 2 hour plus run time. It's more on the artsy side.

That being said, what a payoff for your patience.  Really great final act. They brought it all together in a terrifying way.  I had even wondered why Charlie, the young girl, wasn't all that likeable of a character.  Not that I was at all happy to see a young girl die, I understood the pain of her parents, but figured there had to be a reason her character did some unlikable things.

And definitely some fresh visuals and scares at the end. Although it is slow, the mystery of what is going on keeps u engaged throughout

It's definitely deliberately paced.  I LOVE how the film begins similar to BABADOOK where the audience isn't quite sure whether or not these strange goings-on w/the family are dementia/grief/other issues and then the back half of the Third Act/last few reels kick in and it's like "WHOA!"  I loved the pacing, and the feelings of dread and despair are so palpable throughout that for me, at least, it never felt "slow."  The film feels like it's constantly building up to something, and when that "something" hits, the decapitations start multiplying, and the flat-out Kind of Hell demon becomes prominent the film is legit unnerving.

I think many in this thread saying this is not for everyone are 100% correct.  If someone is looking for a mainstream horror film they won't find it here.  Not at all.
And that's OK.  The budget for this film is reportedly around $10 million, and it made around $13 million opening weekend (and currently has made $22ish million) so the movie already found its audience and made money for the studio.  People talking about 'overhype' or whatnot is kind of understandable, though clearly film critics have been overwhelmingly positive with this movie.  The film is a TOUGH one for the marketing department, for sure (though I saw zero trailers before I saw the film - I just went in based on recommendations from friends who saw this at a film festival) and IMO the trailers are very indicative of the tone of the film: right down to setting up the daughter being the witchy one (and she is to an extent), but then shifting focus after the first act.

I love that this film exists, and is clearly (IMO) NOT made for a mainstream audience.  It'll hit enough of the mainstream to make a nice profit (which it already has), but there's no bones this isn't for everyone's tastes.