Author Topic: Nerd HQ Not Happening in 2017  (Read 28017 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: Nerd HQ 2017
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »
I just published an article on the blog. In there I encouraged donating to the cause as a sign of support.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I loved NerdHQ but I hope this is a wake-up call to some. I remember the year they crowdfunded it. My lady friend and I both put money in. But I remember people saying "we're helping him pay for a party for his friends." And yet still went and had a fun time. Now they've learned there won't even be a NerdHQ this year because of people like them. I'm sure if everyone helped, money wouldn't be an issue. It's worth $5 from everybody. Heck I'd chip in more.

I think it's unfair to assume this decision was made because of their inability to meet their goal crowdfunding a few years ago.  It could be made for entirely different reasons.

Also, I think they could have made their crowdfunding goal had they done it the way everyone else does it--with perks for different donation levels.  They thought they could do it a different way and, IMO, that hurt them more than the "party for his friends" issue did.

Funding it through marketing sponsorships, as they've done in all but one year, is a valid way to do it, but, I've noticed over the years that they haven't often gotten the same sponsors two years in a row.  I've always wondered about why.

The reason Nerd HQ never wanted to announce too early is that they had to figure out if the sponsors would come aboard.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Nerd HQ Not Happening in 2017
« Reply #77 on: Today at 02:51:37 AM »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I think it's unfair to assume this decision was made because of their inability to meet their goal crowdfunding a few years ago.  It could be made for entirely different reasons.

Also, I think they could have made their crowdfunding goal had they done it the way everyone else does it--with perks for different donation levels.  They thought they could do it a different way and, IMO, that hurt them more than the "party for his friends" issue did.

Funding it through marketing sponsorships, as they've done in all but one year, is a valid way to do it, but, I've noticed over the years that they haven't often gotten the same sponsors two years in a row.  I've always wondered about why.

The reason Nerd HQ never wanted to announce too early is that they had to figure out if the sponsors would come aboard.
Zachary went on record numerous times that year to explain that the sponsors and financial investors did not pay them back until AFTER the con - sometimes months afterward. He has to lay out the money for the space, equipment, and suppliers and that is not ideal financially by any stretch unless you know you have will cover your out-of-pocket expense.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »
In reflecting on this - I now have a huge void in my schedule. I plan my con around NerdHQ.

Sad news but I have to come to terms that plans and unforeseen changes happen.

Hoping the event returns next year.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
Too bad.  I never went to any panels but had friends who volunteered there.  Guess they have a lot more free time now.  I always respected them for donating to Operation Smile.  Seemed like a good cause to support through this event.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Well, this is sad.....it had become such a huge part of what SDCC was the past few years. If I'm being honest though, it takes away a big stress point for me. I no longer have to worry about getting Conversations tickets and what time they are and how I can make it over there and still see a panel in the Convention Center, ect. I never went to the parties or played the games so I don't know what I'm missing as far as those go. It looks like they are still gonna have a presence, just not a 4 day rental of a huge space for people to come and go.

This bizarre thing was that they DID announce Nerd HQ would be back this year. Something major must have fallen through.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:40:37 PM by Mel »
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »

What you said and two others said are what I have issues with. Why does Zac have to do what others are doing?  Crowdfunding is a fairly new thing. Why does he have to have perks?  To me I put the money in because to me NerdHQ IS the perk. I couldn't care less about posters and other things.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
What you said and two others said are what I have issues with. Why does Zac have to do what others are doing?  Crowdfunding is a fairly new thing. Why does he have to have perks?  To me I put the money in because to me NerdHQ IS the perk. I couldn't care less about posters and other things.

You couldn't, but I guess other people could. Thank you gifts for donations go way back before crowdfunding on the internet. People in general need incentives to part with their pennies. Which is a lesson they learned.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
Zachary went on record numerous times that year to explain that the sponsors and financial investors did not pay them back until AFTER the con - sometimes months afterward. He has to lay out the money for the space, equipment, and suppliers and that is not ideal financially by any stretch unless you know you have will cover your out-of-pocket expense.

Yes.  But, they were able to get sponsors to fill the space in both years at the Children's Museum.  Last year's was almost entirely sponsored by that video game company.  There's something he said about "turning over every rock" in that video tells me the problem likely was getting the sponsors this year.  But, I admit that is speculation based on how he said it and what they've said in the past about the sponsors.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
Well, this should give attendees more time for other off-sites. Hopefully Nerdist comes back with Conival or something similar.

I have a slightly different take on this. With no NerdHQ, it makes other places more crowded. NerdHQ was able to absorb a percentage of the overall con attendees, and now they/we need to spread out to other events.

Me, I always enjoyed Nerd HQ not for the games or panels, but just as a place to hang out away from the convention center. If there was nowhere to go after hours, Nerd HQ was always a good default location. That's what I'll miss the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »

The "why" is simple.  It's what works.  They experimented with a different model, but it didn't work.  I'm sure someone could right a Masters Thesis for MBA school on why it's necessary to give perks.  I won't attempt to explain it.  It's just the way it is.  Plus, a lot of this was debated endlessly back then.

Even so, they collected over $300K.  That's nothing to sneeze about.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »

Because perks (and transparency and the utilization of stretch goals) work.  They have proven time and time again that they lead to a more successful campaign. I donated like $10 (I can't remember but this is my usual default donation to most things) but if they had a perk for like a $20 or $30 donation I'd have given more.  I gave $40 to a start up convention I won't even be attending because I got a cute little binder and a social media shout out. The binder probably cost $5 to make, but it made me more inclined to support the cause even though I didn't benefit from it at all.

It just works.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
I have a slightly different take on this. With no NerdHQ, it makes other places more crowded. NerdHQ was able to absorb a percentage of the overall con attendees, and now they/we need to spread out to other events.

Me, I always enjoyed Nerd HQ not for the games or panels, but just as a place to hang out away from the convention center. If there was nowhere to go after hours, Nerd HQ was always a good default location. That's what I'll miss the most.

But, how many people were in the building at any one time?  A couple of hundred?  If those people spread out evenly to the rest of Downtown, it shouldn't be a problem.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »
I'm really sorry to see this happen, but as several others stated, the vast majority of complaints around his crowdfunding was the strategy and lack of perks.  I know Zac wasn't comfortable with the idea of perks and I completely respect him sticking to his principles.  But this is the consequence.  With adequate perks Nerd HQ could have been sustained for years to come.  Maybe there are some that don't like it or think it isn't fair.  So here we are, not only are the anti-perk people without NerdHQ, but so is everyone else.  And in the end the real loser is Operation Smile.  I hope people do consider donating to show their support.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:30 PM »
I'm really sorry to see this happen, but as several others stated, the vast majority of complaints around his crowdfunding was the strategy and lack of perks.  I know Zac wasn't comfortable with the idea of perks and I completely respect him sticking to his principles.  But this is the consequence.  With adequate perks Nerd HQ could have been sustained for years to come.  Maybe there are some that don't like it or think it isn't fair.  So here we are, not only are the anti-perk people without NerdHQ, but so is everyone else.  And in the end the real loser is Operation Smile.  I hope people do consider donating to show their support.

There's a baking company that's partnered with Nerd HQ and a dollar from every sale goes towards Operation Smile.  Not as much money will be generated this way by a long shot, but at least something is happening.  Still sucks though.   :'(