Author Topic: Permission issues for publishing Com-Con photos  (Read 4102 times)

Offline TheBlackMamba

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
Permission issues for publishing Com-Con photos
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
Hello,

Can't find a discussion on this, so I'll ask it....

What are the legal issues (if any) associated with taking photos of people at Comic-Con and later publishing them?  Most cosplayers enthusiastically want their picture taken and want to see it shared widely.  However, I occasionally have someone say they don't want their picture taken. 

I won't take someone's pic if they ask me not to, but what about all those people who show up in the background of other pics?  Often they are recognizable, and some of them would complain if they saw it.

Does this matter?  Would a recognizable person have legal standing to force the removal of a published picture taken at Comic-Con?

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: Permission issues for publishing Com-Con photos
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
As part of the terms and conditions, it states:

By attending Comic-Con or any part of Comic-Con, you agree to allow Comic-Con International (SDCC), its agents, licensees or assignees, the right to use your image and/or likeness by media now known or hereafter devised for advertising and/or other promotional purposes. You also agree not to take pictures or videos where posted or announced as prohibited and agree that nay permitted photos or videos will not be used for any commercial purposes and will not be made publically available or generally displayed without prior written consent of SDCC.

I am not sure how this affects those who are not "agents, licensees or assignees". Maybe the Wikipedia page will help.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:25:53 AM »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »
Hello,

Can't find a discussion on this, so I'll ask it....

What are the legal issues (if any) associated with taking photos of people at Comic-Con and later publishing them?  Most cosplayers enthusiastically want their picture taken and want to see it shared widely.  However, I occasionally have someone say they don't want their picture taken. 

I won't take someone's pic if they ask me not to, but what about all those people who show up in the background of other pics?  Often they are recognizable, and some of them would complain if they saw it.

Does this matter?  Would a recognizable person have legal standing to force the removal of a published picture taken at Comic-Con?

If they dont wanna be in a pic u take, now days they can always be photoshopped out of it or pic can be doctored so they are coverd at time .

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
I am not a lawyer.  But generally, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.  In big cities, you're photographed all the time - surveillance cameras and the like - and you probably don't know it.

If you wind up being a "face in the crowd" in someone else's photo - you're not the focal point, you just happen to be there - there's nothing you can do.  And, realistically, if you're in the background of a photo someone took of a celebrity or a cosplayer, or even just a general crowd scene, nobody's looking at you anyway.

But it's another thing to just walk up to someone and take their picture without permission.  Legally, you may have the right to do it - again, I'm not a lawyer - but morally, it's rude.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »
If they dont wanna be in a pic u take, now days they can always be photoshopped out of it or pic can be doctored so they are coverd at time .

I try not to post pictures of people unless they are famous.  I block out their faces.