Author Topic: Hall H Wristbands  (Read 10398 times)

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Hall H Wristbands
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can do that with RFID on the badges.  NYCC already does for the main stage.  If you got in via the lottery it was loaded to your badge.  For the other half of the seats, you lined up in the morning, and they tapped your badge, loading the panel to your badge.  Then when it was time to go into the panel, they tapped your badge again.

The half lottery/half lineup idea did work well at NYCC this year. However, IMO it would not work at SDCC - the demand so far outpaces the supply that if they leave any chance that lining up will get you in, so many people would line up that we would still have the same mess we have now.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
You also have the problem that people will still line up anyway, just to sit close to the stage.
And they don't have room for separate lines for each panel.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 01:31:05 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
And seeing how inefficient they were last year at loading...that would be an absolute nightmare.  I know on Thursday I barely made it in before Kingsman started and I went to the line and was in a spot under the tents that normally would have made it in with plenty of time to spare, and when I went in the room was 1/2-2/3 full.  For the first panel of the day they should have the room full before it starts, if not it's just poor planning.

On Friday, I was really only interested in The Big Bang Theory, which was the 1st panel of the day.  I had a wrist band, and got on line at 7:00 am.  I got into Hall-H 10 minutes after the panel started.  I was happy to be there, but a little annoyed their goal isn't to get people with wrist bands in by the first panel.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
This topic is very near and dear to my heart as a person that runs a line group and does Hall H both Fri & Sat each year.  I would be VERY against any type of lottery.  Agree with sefton42 that is would become even more a nightmare than offsites/parties have become.  Every announced party and offsite sells out/maxes out on RSVPs within seconds because everyone has now become accustomed to signing up for everything they can and will show up to what they actually want.  Hall H would be even worse than that.  My group puts in the work to get into Hall H, follows all the rules, and gets rewarded for it every year.  I certainly wouldn't want to miss out because thousands of people were randomly selected for stuff they are half heartly care about.  I can't even fathom the logistics of trying to clear and subsequently fill Hall H to capacity between panels.  Just time wise there would only be like 3 panels that day.

Yes line cutters and sneaky people suck and ruin stuff but don't think there will ever be concrete solutions for that.  My suggestion for Hall H would be keep next day line and wristbands (maybe better ones) the same so people can still leave and come back in morning.  However, since we all know RFID works now and Hall H has seperate entrance when they give you your wristband they should be able to scan your badge and load in the Hall H entrance for that day.  Will make that already slow process even slower but would get rid of the majority of issues.  No more people snagging extra wristbands and counterfeighting wristband would be useless.  Thoughts?
I agree with all of this.  I think better wristbands would be more efficient than RFID, but either solution would be FAR more beneficial than a lottery.  Especially given how kind of last minute some of these panels can come together detail-wise (yes, we know "WB" will likely be first on Sat. but what they chose to bring might not be solidified until after the schedule is announced) your description of events would be even crazier: people sign up for Ballroom 20 panel Sat. at 1pm as a "fallback" if they don't get Hall, then they get both, and that means someone misses out.  Someone wants to be in on the Fox panels and gets that in the lotto, then finds out DAREDEVIL 2 is likely not exhibiting, so they decide to hit the Exhibit Hall instead and someone misses out.  Meanwhile, like you said, there are only a couple of people because it takes a LONG time to clear Hall H (unless it's post-Star Wars pre-Kevin Smith apparently  :P ) so Hall H and Ballroom 20 would be disaster zones all week which NO ONE would want.

I'm not familiar with NYCC so all I can speak of is that what works for one convention doesn't mean it will work for another.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
WOULD KILL FOR THIS TO BE A LOTTERY.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
I think for any kind of lottery to work it would have to be for entry into the room first thing, not per panel.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
I'm against lottery for the most part, but something clearly needs to be done about the line cutting. I think one issue is that it starts to get dark by the time they start handing out wristbands, and that increases the chances of line cutting because you don't see it happening. Unless they hire 5x as many security to patrol the line, people are going to cut. And I just don't see CCI adding much more security.

It MAY help somewhat if they have ropes lined across the entire length of the line (and this would eliminate the question of "is this the real line?") but the cost of that may be too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
I'm against lottery for the most part, but something clearly needs to be done about the line cutting. I think one issue is that it starts to get dark by the time they start handing out wristbands, and that increases the chances of line cutting because you don't see it happening. Unless they hire 5x as many security to patrol the line, people are going to cut. And I just don't see CCI adding much more security.

It MAY help somewhat if they have ropes lined across the entire length of the line (and this would eliminate the question of "is this the real line?") but the cost of that may be too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It be cheaper i think to have a roped off line down the walkway if not secuirty cause just gotaa measure the length u need instead paying more for hourly secuirty.