Author Topic: Attending Comic Con with an Infant  (Read 1136 times)

Offline sideproject

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
Attending Comic Con with an Infant
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
So this year will be a new experience for me... I'll be bringing along my infant daughter. I know I see plenty of posts of people mentioning attending SDCC with children, but has anyone ever gone with an infant? And tricks/tips/suggestions? This will be my mom and I's fourth year, but the first time with a little one so I feel like I can't rely on how we've done things in the past.

Has anyone been in this position? Any advice? (On the bright side I'll already be used to not getting sleep and/or sleeping at weird hours! ;))

Offline sondra17

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
Re: Attending Comic Con with an Infant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
So I usually bring my son but I started bringing him when he was 4. Not an infant but some of the same issues. You have to have some concessions that you will not be able to do everything you want to do because of "adults only" or other things that will not allow children. The biggest difficulty, I find, is that people are unaware of children as they are walking and my son is often jolted and beaten by back packs. So if you are going to wear your baby in a carrier, hopefully you have  partner that will either walk in front or behind you.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:39:23 AM »

Offline sideproject

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The biggest difficulty, I find, is that people are unaware of children as they are walking and my son is often jolted and beaten by back packs. So if you are going to wear your baby in a carrier, hopefully you have  partner that will either walk in front or behind you.

I’ll have [member=4069]Emerald_Mom[/member] (my mom!) with me so we’ll have to keep this in mind when we are on the floor.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:12:12 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Moved this "Attending Comic Con with an Infant" thread from the "SDCC Programming, Panels, and Lines" area to the "CCI General Discussion" forum because this is where the advice threads as well as Comic-Con general discussion threads are housed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 05:51:49 AM »
First year my daughter went she was 7 months old.  There is feeding room for infants I want to say around Entrance G.  Beyond that we brought a nice wrap and she slept most of the weekend.  Last year my daughter was 2...things were a little more hectic.  This year she will be staying with grandma while me and the wife con it up.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
Nice to know about the feeding room; we will find that 1st thing.
And I figure while my daughter has the baby in the carrier, I will run interference.... or vice versa.
Thanks for the heads up [member=3236]stl_ben[/member] !
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »
My wife and I attended a couple of years ago when our daughter was two months old.  I wish I had good advice but it was mostly miserable and a mistake.  My wife spent most of the time in the hotel room.  It was too hot to take her outside in the carrier and too loud in the convention center (she was a colicky baby with napping issues).  I imagine with a chill baby and cooler weather it would be more doable.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 07:33:13 AM »
I already ordered baby noise reduction headphones... knew it would be loud and figured this was the best solution. And if one of us needs to head to the room, so be it, it will only be this year as she is a nursing infant and can't be left home.
Her daddy will be on deck next year.....lol
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My wife and I attended a couple of years ago when our daughter was two months old.  I wish I had good advice but it was mostly miserable and a mistake.  My wife spent most of the time in the hotel room.  It was too hot to take her outside in the carrier and too loud in the convention center (she was a colicky baby with napping issues).  I imagine with a chill baby and cooler weather it would be more doable.
e

This, I've seen too many miserable and crying babies and toddlers on the floor. It doesn't seem fun for them.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
Taking kids i can see being a challenge if they not already interested in the stuff before they go to a con in the first place. if they not like a characters or other, then they may not like seeing the character or person in real. some kida will easily go up to a characters as parent is there to be aware, and some wont. so try one year and if they dont look like they having fun or interest then i not take again so u are able to do what u can at anytime. but once they become liking a characters, then u can try again.