Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story  (Read 5564 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Solo: A Star Wars Story
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here’s where the fun begins.

The official synopsis for Solo: A Star Wars Story was revealed today, offering some new details on the upcoming film. Read it below:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

While not much else is known about the film, director Ron Howard has documented his experience making Solo: A Star Wars Story on Twitter and Instagram throughout production - with everything from set photos to shots of his morning coffee. StarWars.com has compiled all of his updates in one post, which you can view here.

Solo: A Star Wars Story is slated for release on May 25, 2018.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
I know sites are saying "plot details revealed!" or whatnot, but this is really plot: this is all uber basic stuff we've known about since casting was announced.  I guess maybe the already-assumed "...meets...Chewbacca" and "...deep within dark and dangerous criminal underworld..." are confirmed, but this is really any sort of legit revelation.

That being said, I'm curious to see how the story deals w/Han being essentially a drug smuggler.  Maybe this will be, like, "HAN SOLO: COCAINE COWBOY" or something :P

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:27:57 AM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:37:30 AM »
The trailer didn't exactly get me excited for the movie. I did like Rogue One better than TFA or TLJ, so maybe I'll end up enjoying this, but AFAIK Rogue One didn't have the messy production history that this one has.

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »

here is the UK trailer which to me was a lot better.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
The trailer didn't exactly get me excited for the movie. I did like Rogue One better than TFA or TLJ, so maybe I'll end up enjoying this, but AFAIK Rogue One didn't have the messy production history that this one has.
I'm with you that this trailer (the full trailer released this am) doesn't do a ton for me either.  I'm just not interested in origin stories.  I really have no need or desire to have every minutia of a character explained in detail: don't care about seeing the Kessel Run; have no interest in seeing When Han Met Chewie; don't care seeing how Han obtained the Falcon; etc.  The actor playing Han did zero for me in the trailer, and while the trailer is extremely brief I didn't feel like I was watching young Han Solo (though in the brief moments he was in I DO feel like Glover is a young Lando - actually I would MUCH prefer a Young Lando movie that maybe intersects with Han in the third act or something).  I think part of the reason why I loved ROGUE ONE so much is that we were dealing mostly with new characters, in an aspect of the SW Universe that we don't see often - on-the-ground soldiers duking it out w/the Empire.  There were no preconceived notions of what I thought a character should be based on the original iterations in 40 year old movies.  Harrison Ford in particular is such an iconic actor (when he was in his prime) it's hard not to think I'm watching a millennial cos-playing has his favorite sci-fi character instead of doing his own thing.

Will I see this movie?  Of course - I'm a SW uber nerd and I'm still hoping this is a good movie, and I think Ron Howard is a good enough director to make a good film (RUSH is one of his best, and that film came out relatively recently so it's not like he's well past his prime).  I think the Lord/Miller version would've been FAR more interesting to me, though I get how it was likely too different to scare Lucasfilm off.  I'll be curious to see how well SOLO plays to the general public, of if at this point it doesn't matter since it's SW and right now SW is at a peak creatively and popularity-wise.  I think the current Marvel comic runs that 'fill in the gaps' between OT films would be a FAR more interesting  place to produce films if we're going to go back to OT characters for films.  I think Ron Howard directed a film (and word-on-the-street is that he re-shot/re-worked around 80% of the film) that he might not have been passionate about in the first place originally: i.e. the Lord/Miller version chose Solo as the center for very specific creative reasons, and when that fell through Lucasfilm was left with someone else's subject matter that Kennedy et. al. had to reshape into a conventional SW story.  I think the reason why the last three SW films have been so good is because the directors had explicit visions and ideas and brought them to fruition: they weren't just hired-guns directed someone else's script.

ROGUE ONE DID a bit of messy production history, going through extensive re-shoots and delivering a film that contained maybe 75% of the footage in all the trailers released combined (including a radically different third act).  Obviously the re-shoots worked, the Lucasfilm part line is that the re-shoots were planned, there were no messy issues, etc.  And maybe that's correct, who knows.  ROGUE ONE certainly had a messier production than THE LAST JEDI and FORCE AWAKENS.

IDK.  It's still early, and we've just gotten our first real look into SOLO with probably at least another trailer before the May release date.  This is the first SW film I'm not really looking forward to (though CLONE WARS was the first/only SW film since EMPIRE STRIKES BACK that I didn't see opening weekend, and the first since JEDI that I haven't seen opening night - yes, I had cool parents that took me to JEDI on a school night when I was in elementary school  :P ).  Despite my criticism or misgivings I'm still optimistic that SOLO will be a good film.  It might not be great, it might not be an all-timer like ROGUE ONE and LAST JEDI are: but I think SOLO will still be good

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »

EXCLUSIVE: Solo: A Star Wars Story will make its debut at the Cannes Film Festival, Deadline has learned. The festival is still finalizing its competition film roster, but they won’t find a bigger film than this one. Sources said that the Lucasfilm origin story will premiere in a special screening May 15, before the picture makes its global premiere May 25. The Ron Howard-directed origin story stars Alden Ehrenreich as the young Han Solo, the role made famous by Harrison Ford. Donald Glover plays Lando Calrissian, and Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Paul Bettany and Thandie Newton also star.

The Cannes roster has been the subject of wide speculation, and the festival announced this morning that the Javier Bardem-Penelope Cruz drama Everybody Knows will be the opening night film, directed by Asghar Farhadi. That and numerous other films have been rumored for weeks, but The Force being with Cannes is a big surprise. Stay tuned. Disney didn’t respond to an inquiry.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:01:17 PM by AzT »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
Awesome! I wish I could be there to see it in person and check out the festival.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:08:04 AM »
Well...when the fam went to see "Pacific Rim: Uprising" (which I really enjoyed)- everyone had fun posing with the giant stand up of the 'Solo' scene.  Now about the movie, I don't know.  The lead is not evoking Solo for me me from what I've experienced in the trailers.  We shall see.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »

Trailer during American Idol.

Also JTA website guesses that tickets may go on sale tonight as well.

Update: tickets did Not go on sale yet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:17:31 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
I'm still not sure how I feel about this movie, but the "I've got a good feeling about this" made me laugh so +1 for them.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Still unsure about how I feel about this movie, and I'm not sure if it's simply because I'm getting tired of hearing new tales about the same characters. We'll see, I did like this last trailer better

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »
The new trailer didn't really do anything to convince me that Alden was the right choice for Han, but Donald Glover looks fantastic as Lando and the film looks gorgeous at least.