Author Topic: WonderCon 2018: March 23-25  (Read 28427 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: WonderCon 2018: March 23—25
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »
Thursday and Sunday at SDCC ar better. If you've never been, you have no idea of the scope of the offsite events. Trust me, you will have PLENTY to do at the offsites on Friday and Saturday.

That being said, WonderCon is okay. But it doesn't have all of the glitz and hype of SDCC.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
Never been to Wondercon before, but guessing it not as multimedia as SDCC is now days. guessing and depends on space that it can get there if space permits, that why SDCC got the offsite stuff going so not everyone try be inside the center all day and try check out events around the con so gotta manage time and what u wanna do most when con comes aroud.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: WonderCon 2018: March 23-25
« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:46:26 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Never been to Wondercon before, but guessing it not as multimedia as SDCC is now days. guessing and depends on space that it can get there if space permits, that why SDCC got the offsite stuff going so not everyone try be inside the center all day and try check out events around the con so gotta manage time and what u wanna do most when con comes aroud.

WonderCon, to me, feels a LOT like Comic-Con felt when I first started attending in 2000.  There may be some movie panels (the last time I went to WonderCon several years ago there were panels for KINSGMEN, PACIFIC RIM, X-MEN APOCALYPSE, and HOW TO TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 (as well as a screening of the first 45 min or so of DRAGON 2).  The year before that there was. PROMETHEUS panel, 21 JUMPSTREET panel, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and may be a few others I don’t remember.  But the focus is mainly on comics, anime, non-movies or TV.  The exhibit hall is pretty awesome, and I was able to meet/get autographs of artists a LOT easier than SDCC (Jim Lee had a very minimal line; Rob Liefeld; even Stan Lee). 
Unfortunately the last several years WonderCon hasn’t fit into my schedule well and I’ve missed it.  I’ll have to miss it again this year.  But I highly recommend checking it out if one is able to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
I agree that WonderCon is a lot like Comic-Con back in the "good old days". Much easier to move on the floor and I've never been shut out of a panel I wanted to go to. You can get a lot of the same merch as Comic-Con but few exclusives. I have to say that it is getting a little bit more crowded each year and you don't get the "big name" panels. I'm already booked for all 3 days and looking forward to it. Especially since I was shut out of Comic-Con this year. :'(

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
I've been to Wondercon at 3 separate venues (San Fran, Anaheim, and LA) and I have to say Anaheim is the best. So as long as its there I would recommend it. Definitely a smaller con (by SDCC standards) but still gets some semi-big names and panels.

c2e2, Emerald City and Dragoncon are also good, but very different than SDCC.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »
The first and only time I've been to WonderCon was during its last year in SF. I now have my tix for WonderCon 2018 and I'm super excited to go back and see how much it's grown.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
Does anyone know when Pro Badges will be available for Wondercon? - or did I miss something? The only thing I see on the Comic-con website is info on press applications not the actual getting badge process - with the con coming in late March - there is isn't a lot of time left.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:02:23 AM »
Does anyone know when Pro Badges will be available for Wondercon? - or did I miss something? The only thing I see on the Comic-con website is info on press applications not the actual getting badge process - with the con coming in late March - there is isn't a lot of time left.

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If your Professional Verification Status is NOT DUE: No action is required at this time. You will be notified via email when online professional badge registration opens at a later date.

If your Professional Verification Status is DUE or you are applying as a FIRST TIME PROFESSIONAL:  You must fill out an application and submit the required verification materials by January 16, 2018. The application and required documents can be found below in the “Information and Application for Professionals” PDF.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:00 AM »
So I guess the wait continues :(

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »

Have you been working on your stitching, warming your warbla? It’s time for info about the #WCA2018 Masquerade!

The #WCA2017 Masquerade Album is now up as well!

If walking around in costume inside WonderCon Anaheim and posing for large group photos at the outside fountain isn’t enough costuming for you, then reserve a contestant spot in our Saturday night major event, where you can present your impressive costume creation to an audience of 3,000 on the same Arena stage we use for major film and TV presentations, and have a fun time. We’ve reserved our big stage that evening just for you, as WonderCon Anaheim once again celebrates the art that touches near all other popular art forms with our on-stage costume show, returning for its 15th year. It’s an evening of fun, surprises, and great costumes crafted by our attendees. Why call this a Masquerade instead of an exhibition or fashion show? Simply put, “to masquerade” means to portray someone other than yourself, and our contestants bring to the stage as much imagination as they do skilled workmanship, by portraying characters and creating inventive presentations with drama, humor, a storyline, and sometimes a mock battle or two.

Not a dance or party as the name might imply, each entry is allotted their own time on stage, and we use our giant high-definition video screen and multiple cameras to display great close-up views to the audience. Most of the costume presentations are accompanied by specially prepared music, and some with elaborate choreography. Some will be impressive re-creations from the genres of comics, film, television, anime, fantasy, stage shows, video games, and history; others will be completely original designs from the imaginations of our attendees. Some will be solo entries, others will be groups with a shared theme. If you've crafted a costume you think our audience would enjoy seeing up on the stage, we encourage you to sign up and share your work, create lots of smiles, and perhaps take home a trophy or other prize. All genres are welcome, but costumes must NOT have been purchased or otherwise commercially obtained, and be of original construction or show significant modification of pre-existing materials.

The Masquerade event will be 8:30 PM Saturday, March 24, in the Anaheim Convention Center Arena.
The event is free to participate in, or to be in the audience, only a WonderCon Anaheim attendee badge valid for Saturday is needed. Doors will open for audience seating at 8:00 PM, and the event will run about 2 and 1/2 hours. Special seating will be available for the disabled, selected press approved in advance, and for special guests. Audience tickets are not used for this event since our large venue has plenty of seating.

For complete information, rules, and an Advance Entry Form click here
or you can e-mail the Masquerade Coordinator at [email protected] to request a copy e-mailed to you. A limited number of contestant slots are available, so interested costumers should obtain the rules and entry form as soon as possible. A photo of the costume or costumes you are entering will also be required for confirmation of eligibility. Entries are now being accepted and it’s smart to enter sooner than later. The Deadline for advance entry is March 9, 2018 (two weeks before WonderCon Anaheim 2018). After that date contestants can sign up at WonderCon on Friday, IF any slots are still available. Once we fill up there will be a Waiting List to fill openings from cancellations. Our volunteer staff has been running Masquerades for over 20 years, and we’ll do our best to provide you with a great time.

No flash photography is allowed at the event, and any photos or video taken are intended for non-profit personal use only. There will be a flash-allowed posing area with a backdrop in a nearby room where the contestants will go after their stage presentations, but spaces are limited, and photographers who wish access to the Photo Area should reserve a spot in advance by writing to the e-mail above. Credentialed press that would like front section seating in the audience should also write to the Coordinator in advance.

Remember that the convention attendee badges sell out fast, and you’ll need a Saturday badge to participate in, or just attend, the WonderCon Anaheim Masquerade, so click here to purchase your badges now!

Awards
Trophies will be awarded by our panel of guest judges to outstanding entries in the following categories:

Best in Show
Judges’ Choice
Best Re-Creation
Best Original Design
Best Workmanship
Most Humorous
Most Beautiful
Best Young Fan
Winners in these trophy categories will also receive complimentary 3-day badges for WonderCon Anaheim 2019 as an added thank you for all their hard work and talent!  If a group entry wins a category, up to 4 free badges will be bestowed to that group.

In addition to the trophies given by the WonderCon judges, several organizations and companies will present their own generous cash, collectibles, and other prizes to winners they select. Those will be added between now and the convention so be sure to check back regularly for the latest award additions to include:

Frank & Son Collectible Show of the City of Industry, California, “The first and last stop for ALL your collectible needs”, will present a generous $500 cash prize to the costume entry they deem to be the audience favorite.

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
I thought I'd post this here, since there usually aren't that many off-sites during Wondercon.

Club Cosplay--

HOUSE OF BLUES
MARCH 23RD, 2018
WONDERCON 2018 : AFTERPARTY

Tickets and info here--

You can also get tickets here--

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
I thought I'd post this here, since there usually aren't that many off-sites during Wondercon.

Club Cosplay--

HOUSE OF BLUES
MARCH 23RD, 2018
WONDERCON 2018 : AFTERPARTY

Tickets and info here--

You can also get tickets here--

Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun. Did anyone go last year?
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
I haven't heard of that one. Looks like fun!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »
So my family didn't do too great in San Diego Open Registration. We're thinking about Wonder Con. I know this is hard to answer, but would you say it's better to get a complete Wonder Con badge as opposed to Thursday and Sunday at San Diego?

We're also thinking if it's less crowded that Wonder Con may be more kid-friendly. Open to any opinions. Sorry if this isn't the right place.

I've been to multiple WonderCons in Anaheim (though not the last couple years), and I'd def. say it's way better to go to Comic-Con Thursday & Sunday than WonderCon all days.  There are some great panels on Thursdays at Comic-Con typically, as well as Sunday (depending on your preferences/choices of panels).  TONS of awesome deals to be had at Comic-Con on Sundays, with every once in awhile manufacturers literally giving away product (I was given PREDATOR on Blu-ray by Fox one year because I didn't have a credit card; my son's been given Transformers and GI Joe exclusives from the booth when he was a younger kid).  As others have mentioned, having days in San Diego w/out a badge = a great opportunity to check out offsite events, or some other really cool things around downtown (the zoo is super close by; the SD Comic Art Gallery is close by in one of my favorite local spots Liberty Station; there's the chance to see Conan O'Brien; etc).

WonderCon is great, and I wish my schedule was able to accommodate it this year; but I don't think it compares much to modern Comic-Con.  If I had a choice I would choose SDCCI every second of every day over WonderCon; if I had a better choice, I would go to both every year (I also live in San Diego so that makes things much easier for me)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
I not gone to WonderCon, but have been to SDCC at times years back and by chance last year and ready go this year as volunteer. SDCC is one of the top 3 cons as far as i know unless im wrong. but there are so many cons now compared to when i went to SDCC years ago that i read some have gone to many over the years who are able to go and some have grown like SDCC has done. some cons do well and some flop in ways over time or first time and guess cause they think it so easy to do with out the right planning and all. any con goer wants any con to do well and go right every year, but we cant control the behind the scenes that fall apart for any reason cause of any bad planning. so i be happy i go to what i can and see it as mini vacation as it so many days in a row.