Author Topic: Hall H Wristbands  (Read 10399 times)

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
Re: Hall H Wristbands
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sure I'm not the only one who assumed it was an equal number of wristbands for each group A,B, C, and D.  Seems likt that's not actually the case.  Saturday morning, we were group A and fortunate enough to be in Chute 2 when Chutes were first loaded in the morning.  When 3 was loading, I looked over and saw a group that clearly had B wristbands.  And two chutes alone do not hold 1500 people.

Keep in mind anyone that left after getting wristbands goes to the back of the wristband line that morning.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »
True, but I doubt 5-600 people got A wristbands and gave up their place in line.  I mean an A wristband meant your group lined up on Thursday night.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:50:52 AM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »

Was fortunate that our volunteer job was at the inside door of Hall H on Saturday and we got to cheer on the trickle of folks that were let in.  After WB ended and the mass of folks funneled out of the nachos and bathroom pass area, the largest group of the "mutt" wristband group in D was let in before the end of our shift, plenty of time to get into Stranger Things and Marvel. I don't know how many got let in from 1000 to 1130, before we got there.  During our shift, at least under 200 got in. 

Saddened to still see wristbands trying to get inside.

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
Hall H Wristbands
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
Conspiracies involve 2 or 3 people. Not 400 people. If there were 400 people sneakily using fake wristbands, we would know it for a fact. Just like multiple line jumpers who can't stop themselves from bragging about how smart they are at hotel pools and bars.

This is probably something simpler like overproduction mistake.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »
As far as set up, we tried for Friday Hall H GoT, and went to dinner at the Crab Shack first.  Visually, seeing the group at the Island and then heading to the Marina looked full.  After dinner, I was just planning to camp for an hour, to make a point that this would be dine by midnight.

Planted ourselves by the Marina J bathrooms, which has a quick shortcut back to hotels at 930pm, and I left and came back with Kindle and just started Rogue One.  My buddy said get up we're moving and I expected only line ebb and flow, back to the Island.  Then he sees the red lights.  So we wound up waiting 45 minutes in total for D, as they had reached the end of the line.  Impressed to see wristbands over in under 2 hours, for Friday.

We left and came back at 630 am just to make sure, though!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »
So trying to read all the info out there on what happened w/the counterfeit wristbands (and am still catching up), wouldn't' there have had to be prior knowledge to the color of them for counterfeits to be made?  Just out of curiosity, were the bands the same as last year?  I would hope not, but then again, crazier things have happened before.  Do the colors change each day?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »
So trying to read all the info out there on what happened w/the counterfeit wristbands (and am still catching up), wouldn't' there have had to be prior knowledge to the color of them for counterfeits to be made?  Just out of curiosity, were the bands the same as last year?  I would hope not, but then again, crazier things have happened before.  Do the colors change each day?
Given that a video was posted on Twitter of a guy pulling a (presumably) fake wristband out of his backpack on Saturday morning, it is possible that these fakes were made Friday night. (I saw someone refer to them as photocopies, but I don't believe SDCC has said anything official re: the nature of the fakes). However, the design has been generally similar from year to year, so it is also possible that whoever made the fakes only needed to wait for official word on the color of the Saturday wristbands to finalize their design/starting printing.

The colors are supposed to change from day to day, but apparently, at least of some of the colors used for Saturday were the same as the colors used for Thursday. I'm not sure how big a problem this was (at least in comparison to the fakes), but security in the hall was checking people's wristbands for the day when re-entering with a bathroom pass.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »

One day going into Hall H, I saw a security guy with a sheet of all of the wristband colors for each day.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
At Talkback, John Rogers mused that there might have been an advance leak of the wristband colors/designs.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Well, Saturday wristbands were promptly handed out at 830pm Friday night. That's plenty of time to get one and counterfeit a bunch. Once it happened I realized how easy it would be and was shocked it took 3 years for someone to do it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
I'm not discounting that there were fake wristbands at all, but want to make note of another problem that's more controllable by SDCC. 

On Saturday AM, the staff never came and asked our section about large blocks of seats being saved or that were empty.  In my mid hall H, center section row alone there were 5 empty seats, three of which were together- that stayed empty until well after DC. The women next to us tried to hold seats on either end of their group so that no one would sit next to them. They had bags on their seats and we assumed someone was coming until they were directly asked. 

Good news is that eventually staff/volunteers did start getting proactive and got those seats filled with stragglers from the Hall H wristband group.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
I'm not discounting that there were fake wristbands at all, but want to make note of another problem that's more controllable by SDCC. 

On Saturday AM, the staff never came and asked our section about large blocks of seats being saved or that were empty.  In my mid hall H, center section row alone there were 5 empty seats, three of which were together- that stayed empty until well after DC. The women next to us tried to hold seats on either end of their group so that no one would sit next to them. They had bags on their seats and we assumed someone was coming until they were directly asked. 

Good news is that eventually staff/volunteers did start getting proactive and got those seats filled with stragglers from the Hall H wristband group.

At D23 they split the room into 3 sections and filled in people as they sat down so no seats were left empty. I understand that wouldn't be feasible when they don't clear the room after each panel like D23 does. I believe I heard the D23 panel is around 6,000-7,000 people.

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »

Yeah I was surprised they didn't tell people to point out empty seats in the morning before the WB panel started. They have in previous years. I had friends stuck outside and were 15 people away from getting in. They missed the WB panel. Hopefully it becomes a norm to always ask people to point out empty seats. Need to fill every seat since there's so many people waiting to get in.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »
The women next to us tried to hold seats on either end of their group so that no one would sit next to them. They had bags on their seats and we assumed someone was coming until they were directly asked.
If you want a personal bubble around your group, then Hall H is not the place to be. The nerve of some people!

On the other side, I did have someone sit next to me that was pretty trim, but somehow managed to take up a couple of inches of my chair. I was practically on DH's lap. (This was not in Hall H-I liked the new chairs in there!)
Ang

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »
If you want a personal bubble around your group, then Hall H is not the place to be. The nerve of some people!

On the other side, I did have someone sit next to me that was pretty trim, but somehow managed to take up a couple of inches of my chair. I was practically on DH's lap. (This was not in Hall H-I liked the new chairs in there!)

Maybe you were sitting next to the same person who was sitting next to me at the Talk Back panel - even though there was no one sitting next to him, he managed to take up half my chair until I noticed and gave him a dirty look. The creeper moved back to his own space for the rest of the panel...