Author Topic: Celeb watching at hotels  (Read 6523 times)

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
Celeb watching at hotels
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »
Would this be an "off-site" event? I think it is an unofficial one at least :D

Who have you seen or bumped into at a hotel?

Hilton Bayfront:
1) Silicon Valley: Last year we almost literally bumped into Kumail Nanjiani.  This year he was out and about with Zach Woods.  So definitely a spot if you're a fan.
2) Tricia Helfer blasted through the lobby while we were lined up for Westworld
3) I know Spartacus cast stayed there when it was still airing

Hard Rock:
1) Friends bumped into the kid from Stranger Things ( don't remember which one)
2) Same but with Will Smith

Anyone have some stories to tell?

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Celeb watching at hotels
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »
Random celeb sightings this year...

Outside Hard Rock - Zachary Levi
Bayfront lobby - Paul Johansson (Van Helsing), James Frain (Orphan Black)
Omni Lobby - Greg Grunberg
Nobu at Hard Rock - Jim Lee, Stranger Things cast, Joseph Morgan

Burger Lounge (not a hotel but I don't care this was my favorite one :)) - Tahmoh Penikett from BSG!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:37:19 PM »

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Hilton Bayfront while in line for Westworld: the star of Lucifer

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:56 PM »
Andaz lobby -  Paul Sheer
Andaz outside - Rachel Keller
Outside Hard Rock - Jim Jeffries

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »
Did any of you guys see me? No one has mentioned me yet.

Oh, I saw [member=1]alyssa[/member] twice! [member=1233]jopari[/member] a couple times and I even spotted the elusive [member=846]rando[/member]
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
One year I got the autograph of the ?? Doctor.  The one that was in Terminatir Genesys.

Breckin Meyer (although I couldn't place him at the time)

Jim Lee several times.

Sergio Aragornes

Andy Serkis, I said "hey Andy" to him and he waved back and the person sitting with me said that he kept looking over at he like "who is that guy?" Cuz I must gave said it like I knew him.

Badger from Firefly gave me the stink eye cuz I was staring at him trying to place him and couldn't.

Joss Whedon

And if course Stan Lee.  I was going to walk over, but his handler politely waved me off.  I admire Stan for walking around at his age without more security.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
One year I got the autograph of the ?? Doctor.  The one that was in Terminatir Genesys.

Breckin Meyer (although I couldn't place him at the time)

Jim Lee several times.

Sergio Aragornes

Andy Serkis, I said "hey Andy" to him and he waved back and the person sitting with me said that he kept looking over at he like "who is that guy?" Cuz I must gave said it like I knew him.

Badger from Firefly gave me the stink eye cuz I was staring at him trying to place him and couldn't.

Joss Whedon

And if course Stan Lee.  I was going to walk over, but his handler politely waved me off.  I admire Stan for walking around at his age without more security.

Aaahh! Jim Lee!! I'm like 5 feet from him all con and I never get to talk to him.  :'(

I thought Joss was supposed to be MIA?!?!?!

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »
Hard Rock is a goldmine for celebrity watching. Stayed there in 2016 and it's crazy how many you see by just sitting in the lobby. Celebrities I saw included:

- Jared Leto
- Ruth Negga
- Jamie Alexander
- Mark Gatiss
- Amanda Abbington
- Steven Moffat
- Scott Eastwood
- Chadwick Boseman

Also saw Zac Levi walking down my floor's hallway to go to the EW Party. My friend and I started freaking out as he passed us but we didn't say anything since we were intimidated.

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »
Manchester gets insane with the amount of teenage fangirls who camp there all day. I've seen casts of OUAT, Flash, TW, Black Lightning, and Misha Collins. Saw Zac there last year too.

I believe AOS and Agent Carter stayed at the Marriott bc I saw them walking there after their nerdhq panel too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:42:48 PM by indiglow »

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
Manchester gets insane with the amount of teenage fangirls who camp there all day. I've seen casts of OUAT, Flash, TW, and Misha Collins. Saw Zac there last year too.

I believe AOS and Agent Carter stayed at the Marriott bc I saw them walking there after their nerdhq panel too.

Okay this actually makes sense since I stayed at the MGH this year and my sister and I were wondering why there were so many teenage girls without badges sitting around. This explains so much now.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »
I am completely jealous......that everyone knows names of everybody. I saw some people from Flash and Kass and I were in an elevator with 2 people. I couldnt tell you where I know the one guy, but the other was in film, popular in the 90's, 2000's. I can picture him, but not pinpoint. I talked to his daughter, she was adorable, taking selfies with her cute ears on. She told me she was working in a booth (???) but leaving (that Sunday morning). I'm going to watch ever movie from the 90s and figure out his name. Gaaaa!

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »
Okay this actually makes sense since I stayed at the MGH this year and my sister and I were wondering why there were so many teenage girls without badges sitting around. This explains so much now.

Yep. If you see grown men in the same areas, they're the autograph hunters. It gets worse and worse every year w/ the girls it seems. I wonder why the casts just don't switch up hotels to lose the fangirls. Last year was the worst I'd seen at MGH - there were at least a hundred girls on Saturday night in the lobby pouncing on celebs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:09:20 PM by indiglow »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 05:05:17 AM »
this was my first year staying at a Gaslamp hotel so close to the con.  Outside of the Hard Rock on the Petco side, there was a mob of fans waiting for - I don't know who- all con long.  I had to walk past on my way to my hotel. They had to put up a rope divider so that people could get by (if you squeezed tightly) on the inside lane of the sidewalk.  It got crazy sometimes.  I didn't even look for badges at the time, but thinking back, I didn't see badges that were noticeable.  Now that [member=3710]SteveD[/member] put up Hard Rock pics, I see why.  Celebs.  Walking by,  I was too tired at the end of each day to stand and see who might come by.  In the early morning it wasn't so bad. My sister finally resorted to going the other way around the building, but I didn't mind so much.  It is SDCC, afterall.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
Hanging out by the stage door of Spreckels will net you celeb sightings of whatever guests Conan has, though now it's a mob scene after tapings.

Got to meet John DiMaggio & Fred Tatasciore up in the Sails Pavilion.  They were on their way to the "I Know That Voice" panel I think.

After Hall H Saturday, people were waving to a black SUV waiting on Park Blvd for the crosswalk at Harbour Dr to clear and it was Andy Serkis with his window down!  I walked up and shook his hand and told him he's a master of his craft, and also said hello to what I assumed were his wife and child who were also in the backseat.  They were all very nice.  I thought I got a pic as I was walking up, but my phone was wonky.  I felt bad as I walked away though because when I looked back I saw a small crowd taking selfies.

I've always heard that the Omni and Hard Rock are the places for celeb sightings, with the Bayfront a close second.
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:57 AM »
My Son got to ride up in the elevator at the Omni with some of the cast of Stranger Things and IT.  They took a selfie with him calling him the pizza delivery guy because he was carrying a pizza back to our room.  I've tried to find the picture posted online but so far no luck.