Author Topic: NYCC Pre-Show Lotteries....  (Read 22547 times)

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
Re: NYCC Pre-Show Lotteries....
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
I'm not either and the more I think about it its new for Panels but also this enter for Group One or Group 2 business and you can't win more than X number in either group actually is very limiting. I mean last year what if you care about autogrpahs and entered all of them this year you are limited to two.

Also what if there are 3 autograph sessions you want in one day but none on other days are you SOL? I think it is wrong to say you can't enter or win more than 2 of that, a panel, or an exclusive per day. Don't like it
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Also what f you don't have your badges yet when it goes live or by the time entries close...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:36:47 AM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well its happening Lotteries for panels. At least they are only fill half the main stage with lotteries. I am not a fan of this approach

New this year, we're giving fans the opportunity to enter a pre-show lottery for a few of the most popular things to do at NYCC! Check out the FAQ below for more information on how to win and remember, as soon as you receive your badge in the mail you MUST activate your badge to participate. If you haven't yet, activate your badge now and then come back here for more info. No worries if you haven't received your badge in the mail yet. You can still enter the lottery - just be sure to activate your badge as soon as you receive it.

FAQs for archive (updated)

Thursday, September 14 at 2:00 PM/ET to Monday, September 25 at 5:00 PM/ET

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

edit: to fan-verify your badge, if you have it in hand:

Upgrade your #NYCC experience! Learn more about NYCC Badge Activation Presented by @directvnow here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:29:14 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
the more i think about it the more I think this group 1 and 2 stuff should be separated for panels, autos, and exclusives. these are three unique things and should not be entwined with each other.

you can only enter two group 1 events, so first who determines what a group 1 event is, do they categorize something as group 1 or group 2 or do we? Then you can only enter two group 1 things which really screws over the autograph session people. If you lose exclusives or panels there is still a chance for you, for autos your SOL and you only get two shots at it for group 1.

I like this system less and less the more i think about it.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:13:14 AM »
This lottery thing is a bad >:( optic all around.

This will surely be address at the Q&A

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
I know people are upset with the lotteries.  There are pluses to it also.  One people who are true fans but can't sleep or do the long lines now have a chance.  Also it helps with line management.  There have been many times I thought the was about to get trampled to death in a crowd at SDCC.   And while it sounds absurd people have been trampled to death in crowds.  Take that that lady on Black Friday.

I watched the intensity of the Hall H starting this year for Saturday and honestly it was really scary!  Emotions where high and all it takes is one crazy!   

Do I wish we weren't at the point of needing lotteries, yes.   Unfortunately they are becoming necessary do to safety concerns.   I can see this in the future of other cons :(
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
yeah but this does not eliminate the craziness for panels, in fact it makes it twice as bad except for about 1700 people of the 180,000 people going. I believe main stage holds in the number of 3,000 to 3,500

Both Hammerstein and MSG are unaffected by this lotto so you still have lines and the craziness attached to it
But now for Main Stage half the tickets will be given out so instead of 180,000 fans going for 3,400 seats you have 1,700 fans who won't go crazy trying to get into the panel room but now you have 178,300 trying for the other 1,700 (I know I'm exaggerating the numbers) knowing their chances of getting in have been cut in half. If that is not going to make it worse then I don't know what is.

I only focus on panels not exclusives or autos cause those were lotteries already but this affects that as well as you are limited to how many things you can enter per day. An attendee should be allowed to enter as many things as they want per day and if it is truly random as they say then let the chips fall where they may.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:23:41 PM by mllNY »

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
I'm not a fan of lotteries for lots of reasons most of which have alread been discussed. But i do think if they are going to go with the lottery they should have went all in and just gave all the seats out by lottery. That way if you don't win you know you can't get in and can go with your plan B. With the way they are doing it with only half the seats going by lottery if you don't win you have to decide if you want to try the regular line where you now have a 50% less chance to get in. All this is going to do is make the non lottery line more crazy because you have a much less chance of getting in then before so you have to get in line even earlier if you want a chance. So if you don;t win you have to wait in line even longer. So for the around 2000 people who win the lottery it makes it better but for anyone else who doesn't win but still decides to try it makes it worse.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
Last year I was able to get in line at 7am on Saturday and got into Iron Fist easily. I dread having to get in line earlier than that because it takes me an hour on the subway to get to the Javits.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
But now for Main Stage half the tickets will be given out so instead of 180,000 fans going for 3,400 seats you have 1,700 fans who won't go crazy trying to get into the panel room but now you have 178,300 trying for the other 1,700 (I know I'm exaggerating the numbers)
Didn't we conclude because they count each day of attendance as unique (one person with a  4 day pass is a count of 4 instead of how SDCC counting them as 1) there's really no more than about 40K per day if that? Not that those odds are that much better! lol!

"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
these are three unique things and should not be entwined with each other.
Per my earlier post this I agree with. They should have put each as their own lottery. That would have definitely cut down pretty significantly IMO the amount of random "hey I'll just click to enter" entries.
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
Lottery starts Thursday September 14th

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »
Lottery starts Thursday September 14th
Can one of the moderators add a calendar link? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ang

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
I just saw this:

Enter the line for the Panel you want to see and walk straight to the front (or until you hit the back of the line). Every Fan that gets in line will be counted. Once we hit maximum capacity — based on the number of seats available in the Main Stage — that specific Panel's line will close and we will cap the line. Once that line is capped, there is no more room in the Main Stage for this Panel and no one else will be allowed in line.

There will be no overflow room.

So they are assuming that everyone who wins the lottery and signs up for main stage panels are actually going to show up? I feel like that is short sighted, and there will be empty seats at a lot of these panels.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
I just saw this:

So they are assuming that everyone who wins the lottery and signs up for main stage panels are actually going to show up? I feel like that is short sighted, and there will be empty seats at a lot of these panels.

I don't think we can say that yet.  It says once capped.   They may have a time that winners have to be in line by if they are not then others may be allowed in.   I think this is going to be a little more learn as we go.   I expect lots on mistakes the first year!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion