Author Topic: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge  (Read 13619 times)

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
Re: Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that sounds amazing- i had thought of visiting china but the restrictions were too much.

but you bring up an interesting thing; Did everyone make guac salad? if so what was your recipe?
It certainly was easier for me to travel in China because I lived there 1994-2001. My dad still lives and works there. I attended middle school and graduated high school in China. One of the traditions is starting from 6th grade, teachers took students on a week long trip to learn about various cultures of different parts of China. We visited Qingdao and visited the Tsing Tao Beer factory and learned how it was primarily a German colony. One year we visited Xi'An and saw the Terracotta Soldiers first hand. Then there was one year when the school decided instead of a week long trip, we'd get 2 weeks to travel  The Silk Road via railroad. That was grueling, but fun. Looking back, I'm incredibly grateful for that experience even though at the time, I didn't. It's one of the reasons why I am postponing my 2nd attempt at attending SDCC until 2020. I want to visit my parents in Beijing in 2019.

As for the guacamole salad, depending on the type of avocado, because Hass avocados are small, you can add a tablespoon of minced onions, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of salt, and a dribbling of lime juice. You can also add a sprinkling of chili powder for garnish, but according to my partner, that's optional. The lime juice is a must.

Edit: Forgot to mention Cilantro. Mix in the chopped up leaves, add it as a garnish, or leave it off. Some people, like my step-dad hate the taste of cilantro, so we leave it off for him.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:59:25 PM by Xircuits »
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 06:08:24 AM »
This week's #vegetable for the #FebVeggieChallenge is #BabyBokChoy!

Please post photos, ingredients and recipe by this Saturday night!

I think I have an idea for what I'm going to do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:20:14 AM »

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:19 AM »
If you want a quicky guacamole-if your grocery store has decent pico de gallo, mix avocado and pico and your preferred spices (we use the ones mentioned earlier). It's a real timesaver. Although, DH usually makes his own pico, but uses this method when he's feeling lazy.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Comic Con Fit - Feb Veggie Challenge
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:51 AM »
As for the guacamole salad, depending on the type of avocado, because Hass avocados are small, you can add a tablespoon of minced onions, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of salt, and a dribbling of lime juice. You can also add a sprinkling of chili powder for garnish, but according to my partner, that's optional. The lime juice is a must.
Edit: Forgot to mention Cilantro. Mix in the chopped up leaves, add it as a garnish, or leave it off. Some people, like my step-dad hate the taste of cilantro, so we leave it off for him.

my sister got me trying a mid west variant

since quac was a main staple & everyone loves is I make a huge portion & go all out
5 hass avacados mashed with fork
1/2 of a juicy lime or more (i was told my my food critic culinary student that it could have used more lime)
2 plum tomatos chopped fine (for tomoatoes)
 1/2 of a med size, sweet onion diced
chopped fresh cilantro (abt a half to 3/4 cup)
i diced sm, gala/fugi (crisp) apple
salt

yes, no spicy stuff- I react violently to chilly based spices. the apple adds a crisp sweet that really cuts through

I really am curious as to what are other variations? I never would have not added tomato for example, it just wouldn't have occurred to me
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:55:49 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 06:47:49 AM »
my sister got me trying a mid west variant

since quac was a main staple & everyone loves is I make a huge portion & go all out
5 hass avacados mashed with fork
1/2 of a juicy lime or more (i was told my my food critic culinary student that it could have used more lime)
2 plum tomatos chopped fine (for tomoatoes)
 1/2 of a med size, sweet onion diced
chopped fresh cilantro (abt a half to 3/4 cup)
i diced sm, gala/fugi (crisp) apple
salt

yes, no spicy stuff- I react violently to chilly based spices. the apple adds a crisp sweet that really cuts through

I really am curious as to what are other variations? I never would have not added tomato for example, it just wouldn't have occurred to me
I mentioned possibly adding some red bell pepper chopped finely and mixing that in, Louis says to try and roast the pepper first and peek the slightly charred skin off, then chop it up and mix it in the guacamole. Just to give it a bit of contrasting color.

For me, the fresh red onions are a must because it provides added texture. I'm not a fan of guacamole baby food.

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 06:49:33 AM »
If you want a quicky guacamole-if your grocery store has decent pico de gallo, mix avocado and pico and your preferred spices (we use the ones mentioned earlier). It's a real timesaver. Although, DH usually makes his own pico, but uses this method when he's feeling lazy.

I love Pico de Gallo on its own. I've never tried mixing the 2 together. Does it make the guacamole runny with all the tomatoes?

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 06:53:47 AM »
I love Pico de Gallo on its own. I've never tried mixing the 2 together. Does it make the guacamole runny with all the tomatoes?

The pico from our store is pretty well drained. DH seeds the tomatoes when making his so that he doesn't have that problem.

Ang

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »
I mentioned possibly adding some red bell pepper chopped finely and mixing that in, Louis says to try and roast the pepper first and peek the slightly charred skin off, then chop it up and mix it in the guacamole. Just to give it a bit of contrasting color.

For me, the fresh red onions are a must because it provides added texture. I'm not a fan of guacamole baby food.
agreed, & that's what i like abt the apples & sweet onions ;)

I use a plum tomato- it's not as juicy -
the idea of a red pepper is interesting- I disagree with the need to roast it tho- for the amt of avocados i used, i might have added a half diced to add to the crunch

i'm not one for adding a salsa/Pico - if i did it would be very, very sparingly.  I suppose what i'm creating is more like an avocado salad rather then a guacamole 

Looking at the plate of food i made- it's from everywhere LOL

avocado salad, smoked mussels, Caprices salad (fresh moz & basil & tomatoes with balsamic), fresh peas and pita chips- pretty #comicconfit ?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Aaron

• Exhibit Hall
  • Getting #ComicConFit for any con (and for life)!
    • Hall H Show Podcast
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
Hola y'all!

Yesterday was #NationalPizzaDay (it should have been National #gnocci Day too )...so I'm going to be healthier today.

First with a morning workout.

Then I'm going to go shopping for ingredients for my Baby Bok Choy (dishes are due this evening)!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Co-Host of the #HallHshow podcast. #ComicConFit motivator.

Personal:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: AaronNabus

Hall H:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: HallHdotcom

Comic Con Fit:
Twitter/Instagram/Facebook: ComicConFit

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Feb Veg Challenge 2/10
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
I have to admit- i had a partial 'fail' on this weeks veg challenge: Multiple factors contributed to this mostly boiled down to boc choy not being as dynamic a veg as i was trying to make it into. Which is of course my fault.

A) I was determined to NOT do a stir fry
B) i couldn't get baby boc choy at my local stores
C) I was trying to focus on the flavor of the boc choy not just the texture.

My adventure all started with wanting to try making a Ajitsuke tamago (Japanese pickled egg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) for a soup. I'd had a Piatan with pork belly & pickled egg and thought the flavor of the soup might play well with a roasted boc choy. Plus the texture of the boc choy might be interesting.

so i looked up how to make piatan ... yeah that's not gonna happen, then i found a recipe for roasted veg and ginger soup with coconut milk. Then started hacking the food together... LOL what follows are an experiment in progress;

Cut in to roasting sizes cubes, the sweet potato, a cauilflower head, a head of garlic, a large onion, and the white parts of  boc choy. Roast for 20- 30 min.

Dice garlic & ginger,

In a stock pot, EVOO, chopped onion & garlic- add roased veg. Reserving the boc choy & roasted garlic

After veg are coated add some veg stock & let simmer till veg is completely done add boc choy & roasted garlic. Using a hand blender, puree.

Add coconut milk about 2 cups. be careful not to heat it too much

toast the boc choy leaves

Serve soup with leaves an a sprinkle of nuts or peanut sauce

Generally i found this dish to be too confused and the texture was wrong.
the boc choy detracted from the cauliflower, sweet potato & coconut
If i make this again I will not use the boc choy and won't puree the veg , keeping some of them chunky

my initial impulse was to use boc choy with a big meat flavor- i think that would have been better. The sharpness of the boc choy overpowered the delicate coconut & cauliflower sweetness.

eta: as all good challenges this taught me what flavors work well with boc choy iow, I have revised my mind-set, boc choy isn't tasteless and needs to be balanced with earthy robust flavors
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:15:34 PM by alyssa »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
I made my Iron Fist Hot Pot ( with bok choy) a few nights ago but I don't know how to add photos.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
I made my Iron Fist Hot Pot ( with bok choy) a few nights ago but I don't know how to add photos.

Love the name! If you have the tapatalk app it's easy to add photos using it.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »

I made two dishes, a big pot of congee with mushrooms and a variation on the classic chicken-braised-with-vinegar, and served them together. (Though next time I think I'll just serve the chicken dish with rice.)

Congee with Mushrooms

Ingredients

EVOO
2 garlic cloves
1 inch of ginger
Mushrooms, I used shiitake
1 cup of rice. I was going to use brown rice but then I saw "volcano rice" at the market, which sounds way cooler.
9 cups water or broth
Baby bok choy. I used some of the leaves here, saving the stem for the chicken dish.
Pepper
(Like before I am using very little salt, other people would probably want to add some salt, soy sauce, etc.)

Directions

Chop the garlic and ginger, slice the mushrooms and sauté in oil until the mushrooms are softened.

Add the rice and liquid, bring to a boil and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Chop the bok choy and add to the pot, cook another 30 minutes, or until you get the consistency you want, and season.

You now have a nice batch of congee that you can add all sorts of stuff to. If you want to cook it faster, use a food processor to break up the rice beforehand. This will make it a 20-30 minute recipe.

Braised Chicken with Baby Bok Choy

Normally this would be made with cabbage, onions, red wine vinegar and bacon. I'm changing some of the ingredients to adjust the flavor, I am also leaving out the bacon to be good. But I am keeping the skin on the chicken dangit. This came out really well, definitely cooking it again.

Serves 4.

Ingredients

EVOO
3-4 baby bok choy, chopped.
2-4 sliced carrots. I used rainbow carrots, having one purple one gives the whole dish a great color. Also my guinea pig loves the carrot greens.
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch of ginger, chopped
2-3 shallots, sliced
Flour
1/2 cup white wine (something fruity)
1/2 cup cane or rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
low sodium chicken stock
Chicken for 4, (this dish is usually done with thighs, but I have several people in the family who don't like dark meat, their loss :) )
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Butter
Cilantro (if you want)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

Salt and pepper the skin side of the chicken.

Heat the oil over medium and add the chicken, skin side down. Cook for 8 minutes, reducing the heat if it gets too crazy.

Turn the chicken over and cook for 1-2 minutes, remove the chicken and put on a plate.

Add carrots, garlic, ginger, shallots. Cook for 2-4 minutes.

Add 1 tbsp flour, stir, then add wine to deglaze. Bring to simmmer and cook 4 minutes.

Add the bok choy, cook 4 minutes.

Add sugar, sesame oil, bay leaf, and about 1 to 1.5 cups broth. Basically you want enough liquid so when you add the chicken, only the skin is above the surface.

Bring to simmer, and add the chicken back to the pot.

Move the pot to the oven and bake covered for 50 minutes.

Move the pot back to the stove top, remove the chicken and reduce the liquid.

Stir in butter, garnish with cilantro if desired and serve.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
[member=1617]Miss Kitty[/member] I easily add photos via tapatalk on my phone.

I usually creat a post on my keyboard, add the words then edit that post on my phone to add photos

OR you can follow these instructions You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
All these dishes look great! I'm not able to make my dish today. I didn't have the right ingredients, waited too long on what I wanted to make, and had a headache all day long because of pressure changes from this crazy rain/thunderstorm over Brooklyn. I'll try and post tomorrow. Sorry! Everything looks delicious though!