Author Topic: Diabetes and Comic Con Panels  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Diabetes and Comic Con Panels
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
Does anyone here have Type 1 diabetes? Do you do panels?

I have 2 awesome, wonderful onions both with broken pancreas' (read: Type 1 diabetes). They have never gone to any panels because of so many issues. Even just the anticipation of waiting in a long line makes their blood sugars go sky high. I would love to experience a panel, but I am trying to figure out how to manage. I'd wait in line for them, but I'm usually stuck in a booth. I scoot off and wait in tiny lines for Summit swag (when she was big into Twilight). The good thing, they have learned to appreciate the writers and artists because they get more time with them on the floor, but I see each year how they are like "dang, Big Bang Theory line...waa waaa" or TWD.  :'(

So, any tips to make it work without having to send them to the hospital?  ???

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Diabetes and Comic Con Panels
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
Perhaps trying to find line buddies ahead of the Con? Someone who could hold a spot for them?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:22:46 AM »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
I thought that was frowned upon? That sounds like a good idea. So, who here is going to be at the front of the lines?? ;)  JK

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »
I mean, more or less they get in line with everyone else but then once the line is moved inside ask those around to watch their spot. I will say though that lines for BBT and TWD are extremely long and start very early. They'd probably still have to spend a couple hours waiting outside before it moved inside.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
Hey, Miss Kitty, you should talk to disabled services. this sounds exactly like something they can help you with. 
try emailing cci with and idea of what kind of assistance the folks would need. be sure to put the word disabled services in the subject line, here's the email address,  [email protected]
this is the info page on the cci site, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
Thanks Alyssa!! Looking for the "like" button. hahaa!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Keep in mind that for BBT and TWD, they may have to not only line up early, but wait around inside the panel room for the panel to start, perhaps for hours.

One possibility is to line up instead for autographs? I usually go to the BBT panel, which means I can't get BBT autographs, because the autograph line is the same morning, and I'm already in the panel line. You could line up at 6:30 am and get an autograph ticket, then when your kids arrive you could take them to the autograph session.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:23:31 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
As TM said, I don't think it'll be the golden pass but it should help make it bearable for them.

maybe their fav. author's panel vs TWD for example <grin>
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline frgx

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 769
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
When you go to Disabled Services, they will place a Disabled Attendee sticker on your children's badges, and they will give you an Attendant card since you will be accompanying your kids. If you do not have the sticker or card, you won't be allowed in a Disabled line for a panel.

Since you will be your children's attendant, you can stand in line for them. I've been an attendant for my sister, and I've done this many times for her. When they are ready to let people in for the panel, she just joins me in the line, and then we're all set. That way she is in line for just a few minutes, instead of hours.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are plans to implement that, the code has been bought but due to the older theme (look and feel) of the forum, it looks as tho i'll have to do a major revamp then add the 'like' feature.  in short,  next Sept maybe.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:35 AM »
So I’m resurrecting this ancient thread!   I myself have T2 and was diagnosed in fall of ‘12.   This year was my first SDCC with an ADA sticker as I somehow grinded my way through the past 5 without it.   That meant no offsites, no Hall H, no overnight camping.   

Some things were easier this year with the ada and yet the high humidity every day just destroyed me.   Generally I have a high level of fitness (walking 20,000 steps a day is no problem at all) and very good control of the glucose numbers but that didn’t seem to matter as I got battered daily. 

I wanted to visit the Experience offsites at least but didn’t have the energy to do so.  I used that ADA rest area in front of Hall B at least once per day...there was even one time where all seats were occupied and I had to sit on the ground (not that I’m complaining about that because I was disoriented and extremely hungry and needed a place to eat my sandwich). 

Most everyone has been saying this was a very “relaxed and chill” con and yet it was anything but that for me.  Anyhow, my reason for resurrecting this very old thread is to hopefully hear advice, insights, warnings, war stories, success stories, concerns from others.   Supposedly 9% of the US population is diabetic or pre-diabetic and so that makes roughly 11,000 of us attending SDCC yearly.  On one hand, I wish I didn’t have to limit myself
so much and that I can experience what everyone else experiences.   On the other hand is the realization that perhaps this is the peak of what I can do at the con and to just be okay with that.   

Fellow pancreatic mutants, rise up and be heard!   ;)

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 12:57:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've found that, for some reason, the Like button disappears with adblock.