Author Topic: CCI 2013 Badge Resale Question Thread  (Read 41900 times)

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
Re: Badge Resale Question
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
However, if a deal is done to allow all the screen shot people to buy badges then there likely won't be any badges left for the resale.

Did they not have both a "second chance" sale in March and then a final badge resale in May last year? Why woud you think there would be less badges available this year for any possible resales?

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »
Did they not have both a "second chance" sale in March and then a final badge resale in May last year? Why woud you think there would be less badges available this year for any possible resales?

If CCI does indeed honor the screenshots, then there will obviously be less badges for any resales.  We, of course, can only speculate at how many people had this issue and when and how CCI will deal with it (at least until they announce a solution for it).  If it is truly a significant amount of people, then it might make an impact on the number of remaining badges.

They've already reached the limit for this first round of sales, so if the outcome is positive for the people with screenshots, then it is likely that there will be fewer badges available for resales.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: CCI 2013 Badge Resale Question Thread
« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:41:39 AM »

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 119
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
I hadn't thought of that until this morning, but I think they could even do better. They could take all of those people and just directly offer them a badge purchase. No sale (and associated hassles) and they help out people who legitimately should have had a better chance.

"They could take all of those people and just directly offer them a badge purchase." Where would this magic supply of badges come from? If all badges sold-out on Saturday, and pro registration has already sold-out ... how could they suddenly "find" thousands of badges to give the screen shot people?

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
"They could take all of those people and just directly offer them a badge purchase." Where would this magic supply of badges come from? If all badges sold-out on Saturday, and pro registration has already sold-out ... how could they suddenly "find" thousands of badges to give the screen shot people?

Yup. That's where my hangup is with just giving everyone w/ a screenshot a badge. I think the first thing they need to look at is how many badges will be refunded as part of the upgrades. Then a count of how many valid screenshot issues there were. And by valid I mean having all the necessary info with the queue # and timestamp within the range of time of the sale.

It sounds like something is being planned - maybe a sale open only to the Member IDs that submitted screenshots (explaining the reason that info was asked for)? Perfect world, badges given to everyone that was impacted by the system issue. Real world? To be determined...
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:17:18 AM »
I'm convinced the screenshots are not to serve the purpose of getting people badges - it would be highly impractical to serve these over people who have gotten them thru the process, anyway. I'm sure that CCI are wanting the screenshots more as clues in an attempt to find out what actually happened on Saturday...

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:16 AM »
and how wide spread Epic's problems spread.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:23 AM »

They have a new supply, from badges that were upgraded in the general sale (and the old ones had to be refunded). Of course, they can't make a direct offering until they know if they have ENOUGH refunded badges to offer to the screenshot group. If they don't have enough, then going through a 'second chance sale' is the next best option.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
I'm convinced the screenshots are not to serve the purpose of getting people badges - it would be highly impractical to serve these over people who have gotten them thru the process, anyway. I'm sure that CCI are wanting the screenshots more as clues in an attempt to find out what actually happened on Saturday...

Also maybe to see if this was a regional issue.  Perhaps tracking Member ID would allow CCI/EPIC to see if this was a specific region, carrier, etc.
(I have no idea, just throwing out guesses)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
CCI has had a badge sale after the refund dead line for at least the past 2 years.  Neither of those times was it in response to problems but in response to cci wanting more people to have the opportunity to attend.

During one of those sales, CCI put a further restriction on the sale, regarding who was eligible to participate, this was the 'you can't buy if you've got a Sat.' clause.

However, if a deal is done to allow all the screen shot people to buy badges then there likely won't be any badges left for the resale.

Also, I thought last year the special second chance sale was possible partially because CCI limited the amount of press, guests (of pros), etc.  I.E. they saw the tech problem, took measures that would free up a certain number of badges, and then put those badges for sale (with the re-sale being the refunded badges).

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
Also, I thought last year the special second chance sale was possible partially because CCI limited the amount of press, guests (of pros), etc.  I.E. they saw the tech problem, took measures that would free up a certain number of badges, and then put those badges for sale (with the re-sale being the refunded badges).

From the interview posted awhile back, it sounded like there were already steps in place to free up badges from other buckets to begin with.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they set aside an undetermined amount of badges before the general sale just in case of something like this.

I'm sure they knew there was a chance that things wouldn't go smoothly (if past years are any indication). I would bet there will be another sale of a limited number of badges for the screenshot people, but it'll be just as cut-throat as general badges sales. Probably send a blanket email with a link to the member IDs who sent in screenshots, no matter where you were in line.

The fact that they are collecting personal data from the screenshot people kinda supports the theory. But we'll see.

*Edited for spelling

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »

There is no serving anyone over the people that have gotten them thru the process... those people were able to get badges. Those of us that were frozen, were not. Perhaps the right thing to do is try to accomodate those that were frozen due to their system glitch. They knew it was coming, they even asked people to save screen shots if they were frozen in the waiting room prior to the sale.

My thoughts are that they tested the sytem prior to the sale and realized that some of the servers were connecting and going thru and others were freezing up. I am still sticking to my earlier theory that they saw this coming and held back some badges just in the event that there were problems. If there had been no problems, they also had the pre-thought from the "second chance" sale last year that they could simply put the held back badges into another secondary sale....   still have my figers crossed.

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
I honestly don;t get the whole "they knew it wouldn't work" argument. Why would any company in it's right mind (who had failed on several previous attempts) launch a system that they knew wouldn't work. This is conspiracy theory on steroids.....

Having a massive failure doesn't help Comic-Con's image and I'm sure their director of PR would never sign off on any plan that said "Well, we know it doesn't work. But let's do it anyway so hundreds and thousands of people are mad and email us." This conspiracy theory just doesn't make any sense at all. Logic has been thrown out the window. "Among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected." - Occam's Razor

I think it's pretty clear here that the problem is EPIC registration. They keep failing over and over and over again. However, if Comic-Con keeps picking EPIC registration, then who is really to blame? The organization should dump the weak link or they have no one to blame but themselves.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I think it's highly unlikely that they held any badges back. JMHO, but there would be no point to doing that before the sale. They want as many people as possible to buy badges.

However they do have newly refunded inventory now, and so there is a fresh re-supply that they can use for a refund sale.

The reason people think CCI knew the system would fail, or at least knew it was possible, is because they posted BEFORE the sale that people who froze in the waiting room (which had never happened in previous sales) should take a screenshot and send it in (something CCI had never asked for or suggested before). I agree that the very fact that they asked this in advance means they knew it was a possibility. But I don't think they had any idea of how many people would have this problem.

Offline ComicGirl

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
The reason people think CCI knew the system would fail, or at least knew it was possible, is because they posted BEFORE the sale that people who froze in the waiting room (which had never happened in previous sales) should take a screenshot and send it in (something CCI had never asked for or suggested before). I agree that the very fact that they asked this in advance means they knew it was a possibility. But I don't think they had any idea of how many people would have this problem.

Interesting theory. Pre-emptive customer service equals a conspiracy to launch a faulty system? Hmmmm.......