Author Topic: Couldn't get lanyard or bag  (Read 4903 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Couldn't get lanyard or bag
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I used to think the bags were so cool and would be one of those trading for the one or two I liked but then I began to look in my garage and realize I have like 10 bags collected over the years and realize what am I doing?! So this year I refused the bag (I even had my family refuse them). We took the lanyards we needed and that's it. So that was 8 more bags (Yes we're a big family) that hopefully went to attendees who really had use and wanted them!

Does CCI try to give away all the bags that didn't get taken at the end? Otherwise, they probably return that stuff to WB(they pay for it right?), and WB probably throws it away to take the loss.

I thought they made 1 bag/lanyard for every badge. So that leftovers would be minimized. If I had known people wouldn't take theirs I would have grabbed another set when I was offered. After I picked up mine, I had a question so walked back to ask someone. When I came back they handed me another set but I told them I already got mine.

Following the example set by other people I've seen, I use them as grocery bags. Here in California, disposable plastic bags are a no no. They make great reusable grocery bags. Practical and stylish.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
We drove up from the Corona area both Thursday and Saturday. Tiring drive, but worth the more than $500 savings for two nights at a cheap hotel.

No need to pay that much for a hotel. Go east or south 15 miles or so and hotel prices don't really go up for comic-con. It'll cost you in time, trolley takes an hour or so, but it's still less time than driving down from Corona. You can make the drive from those cheap hotels in about 20 mins. You can even stay in TJ and live large for the same amount of money. Blue line will take you to the border.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:48:41 PM »

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Yes, the scanners there must have been different somehow.  I went twice (accompanying my husband the second time, not trying to get another bag); I just wanted to pass through the roped-off area on the side, but they made me scan again anyway, and it scanned red.

My wife arrived a day later than me, but I still accompanied her to Sails to get her bag. Instead of scanning my badge, I told them that I already received my bag, so they sent me to a roped off area to the left. I have so many of these bags lying around in my storage from past shows that I have no need for them, really. I'm not going to sell them, so after a while it kind of becomes a bit of an annoyance.

I stopped looking for free SWAG because it sits in a banker's box never to be seen again. The only thing I'll grab are the little light-up trinkets to be pinned on lanyards. I recently donated a bunch of unused T-shirts that I received from past SDCC's to the Goodwill because I had too much stuff taking up space. In addition to the SWAG box in my storage, I have a bunch of poster tubes from past shows as well. Eventually, I'll have to go through that stuff and toss out what I don't want... which is probably most of it.

Offline Matryoshka

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
Does CCI try to give away all the bags that didn't get taken at the end? Otherwise, they probably return that stuff to WB(they pay for it right?), and WB probably throws it away to take the loss.

I seem to remember hearing that they've run out by Sunday midday the last couple of years.

We pretty much walked right through the line Thursday at around 3:00.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
My wife arrived a day later than me, but I still accompanied her to Sails to get her bag. Instead of scanning my badge, I told them that I already received my bag, so they sent me to a roped off area to the left. I have so many of these bags lying around in my storage from past shows that I have no need for them, really. I'm not going to sell them, so after a while it kind of becomes a bit of an annoyance.

I stopped looking for free SWAG because it sits in a banker's box never to be seen again. The only thing I'll grab are the little light-up trinkets to be pinned on lanyards. I recently donated a bunch of unused T-shirts that I received from past SDCC's to the Goodwill because I had too much stuff taking up space. In addition to the SWAG box in my storage, I have a bunch of poster tubes from past shows as well. Eventually, I'll have to go through that stuff and toss out what I don't want... which is probably most of it.

If anything can always try sale stuff on ebay or just give away stuff to others or donate to places of stuff that is usefull so itnot just toss in trash, i the same way i use to just grab anything but firs time back i made sure to get anything worth using or keeping really, if anything after recheck stuff i will give to anyone i know who asked for something before i went and go from there.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
You can even stay in TJ and live large for the same amount of money.
This had crossed my mind not because of the money savings but the chance to do a little exploring and experience TJ/Mexico. Have you actually done this and is it safe? Any issues crossing the border back and forth?
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

I thought they made 1 bag/lanyard for every badge. So that leftovers would be minimized. If I had known people wouldn't take theirs I would have grabbed another set when I was offered. After I picked up mine, I had a question so walked back to ask someone. When I came back they handed me another set but I told them I already got mine.

Following the example set by other people I've seen, I use them as grocery bags. Here in California, disposable plastic bags are a no no. They make great reusable grocery bags. Practical and stylish.

If we was allowed to have any broke ones i may have tried get certain ones, but that was goona be more stuff to fill a bag to have to carry around lol so i wasnt sure i want anotehr 1 or 2 certain bags. i should have asked what was on the bags that broke but only knew people tried trade any that broke on them. next time if see design ahead of time i try get any broke ones of any design want most and put in a tote i have to save any if they say it ok to have at time. i at time just didnt think to ask and just looked lol grr me

Offline mychaelp

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
No need to pay that much for a hotel. Go east or south 15 miles or so and hotel prices don't really go up for comic-con. It'll cost you in time, trolley takes an hour or so, but it's still less time than driving down from Corona. You can make the drive from those cheap hotels in about 20 mins. You can even stay in TJ and live large for the same amount of money. Blue line will take you to the border.
We looked up El Cajon and those areas. (I used to live out in Spring Valley back in the 80's). but the Best Western was still $179 there. I needed two night minimum, and by driving the 85 minutes each way on Thursday and Saturday it saved us more than $300. I just didn't think a Best Western was worth that much. Last September we stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown for $102 per night, and that is a much nicer place. So all in all, I'd do it again this way. I've been to so many of these Cons now that they become a blur. They are a great experience, but between Wondercon and Comic Con, they sell the same art, the same toys, the same posters, and have similar panels other than those in Hall H that I won't camp out for. We parked out at Qualcomm and used the Trolley. Got seats each time, and it worked out well. Saturday was the toughest by staying for the Masquerade Ball, but we used Sunday for sleeping.
3 years ago we used the Hotel reservations through Comic Con a few weeks before the show and got the Comfort Inn in Mission Valley, the one near Dennys. It was $221 for two nights total. Enjoyed being close. The free Con shuttle was nice, but sometimes we had to wait an hour. One time I will never forget. We get in, and the air conditioning isn't working. And all the windows other than the emergency one are bolted shut. It was sooooo hot and humid in there. We wend down to one of the hotels to rince off in the restroom so we woudln't smell as many do in the main hall. Crazy memory.
Another posted here about having so much stuff in storage from conventions. I can really relate to that. I used to line up and get every piece of swag I could. But most just stayed in the bag once I got home and my feet were more tired from carrying them around all day. Lots of shirts, posters, comics, novels, buttons and stuff. I remember when you would walk past a booth and they just start handing out T-shirts. I have tons. Now you are lucky to get them, or wait in a two hour line. Things have changed. Here and there I give them to the kids in the neighborhood and they get excited knowing they were from Comic Con.  I even have some display boardds from Harper Collins from the Sunday's I used to go when they gave everything in the booth away, and I mean everything. You got to pick any 3 things, including the signs. Now you have to wait in line for 2 hours to get a single free novel.

Thanks for sharing the tips people! Appreciate it. And your experiences as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one with tons of stuff sitting in my garage that I exhausted myself carrying around for days at a time only to do nothing with. lol.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »
Yea, seen Parks and Con videos and they also said freebies or swag was a big thing in the past. but now u gotta really decide what is usefull and wat isnt so not gotta carry a bag full of stuff around all day as it piles up in bag. i tried get what i can but as i read it can get bad if people become vultures or a swarm and try get all they can at time sometimes. so i got some stuff and tried get more but when i tried others saw and just swarmed the person or booth and it becomes on safe how people go nuts about freebies sometimes lol. i think what i got was enough unless wantd to have to pay for bag check xtra if had too many bags to check in at time. i dont go every year in past but this time was a first since going years ago and it has just become too much traffic in some areas for different reasons. so do what can to get more swag next year. :P