Author Topic: Foodies guide to SDCC  (Read 3384 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Foodies guide to SDCC
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
This is a subject that's near & dear- coming a far distance I have not had the chance to eat some of the local fav's

There are some classics that deserve recognition; Roscos chicken & waffles, carna asaida tacos, in general the quality of Mexican food is vastly different then on the east cost.

some of my newly discovered general foods included

bacon wrapped hot dogs
street corn (a fried corn with Cotija chesse & hot sauce)
and the cocktail
Horchata Colada --- fugu horchata vodka, banana,pineapple, bitters, cinnamon

There were a number of restaurants that had special plates.  I will be listing my favorites but I am particularly interested in what your fav.'s were. For example,
the Blind Burro had an excellent guacamole & home made chips & a good fried mai mai taco.

what food or drinks did you find particularly tasty? let me know so I can put it on my Must Eat List please. I may use this info. down the road for a blog article.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

The Gossamer

Re: Foodies guide to SDCC
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
My go to every year is The Tin Fish. The owner Jerry has kept his 1/2 order fish n chips at a very reasonable $7.95. The food is good.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:23:30 AM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
- Food Shop (on 5th) - Banh Mi, Pho
- Sally's (behind Marriot) - Sushi ($7 for 2 pieces but Nobu charges twice as much)
- Nobu (on 5th) - Black miso cod, fish-n-chips, sushi, etc., but it is expensive and they raised prices for SDCC. I refused to go this year because they raised prices.
- Gaslamp BBQ (on 5th) - Ribs
- Berkeley Pizza (on 5th) - Deep dish pizza
- Burger Lounge (on 5th) - Burger
- Parfait Paris (on G) - Sweets, bakery, desserts
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:02 AM »
Burger Lounge: Lounge Burger (we went before we knew it would be on e-coin: that was an awesome deal)
Lolitas: Pretty much anything, but love the carne asada fries. (They were also on e-coin!)
We usually hit up the Tin Fish, but our dinners were pretty much covered by parties or e-coin stuff.
Ang

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
If anyone has not made their way up to the Donut Bar, you're missing out! The donuts are literally the size of your face. They do special themes ones for Comic Con. This year according to their instagram they also had a pop up shop at the Pendry. They're open in the AM for donuts and re-open in the evening with more donuts and some craft beers. Edited to add: My favorite donut was the "Oh my Birthday Cake Donut," which is a donut with an Oreo inside it. I also love the Butterbeer one.

As far as actual food goes, last year I had the carnitas at Cafe Coyote in Old Town, and it was possibly my favorite meal I've ever had. I'm pretty sure I ate half a pig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:17:40 PM by angoradebs »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
During my wait Friday night for the Hall H wristbands, I wandered toward the parking lot in back to find a bathroom. (I found it, but the stalls had no doors) I discovered this quaint little burger joint. It was called Burgers, Bait & Beer. It took a while for the burger to be ready, but I think they were overwhelmed by the orders. There were quite a few con-goers there because of the Viking funeral. I ordered the All-American with fresh toppings, and on the menu said it will come with a aioli sauce on the buns. Whatever it was, it was good. I posted a short review about it on Yelp, and the majority of the ratings look really good too.

I also ate at The Sushi Lounge. I ordered a bowl of Vegetable Ramen Noodles, a salmon skin handroll, and a regular roll of grilled eel. I'm no food critic, but when I know when I taste something good. The ramen noodles were great. The handrolls and sushi roll were your average sushi stuff. The ramen? I practically licked the bowl clean. I slurped that soup up as if I hadn't eaten in days. I was worried that the soup would be salty (I've had that in the past), but surprisingly, it wasn't salty at all and the noodles weren't overcooked.

Now this last place is out of the way and not part of Comic Con at all, but I stayed an extra day after the con in San Diego to visit some sites. I went to Windansea beach and had breakfast at a place called Sugar & Scribe. The first thing on the menu really caught my eye. It was Lemon Curd Pancakes with Orange Cardamom Syrup and some mixed berries scattered around the plate. I've never had pancakes soo delicious. I think I ate them in like 5 minutes. They were soo soft and fluffy and crumbly, it was hard to get them from falling apart after adding the syrup. Plus, blackberries the size of thumbs! I'm attaching a picture of them. If you're in La Jolla, I recommend this place.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »
Yep, if anyone likes hot dogs and bacon, I highly recommend taking advantage while here and having a bacon-wrapped hot dog. We call them "TJ dogs" in San Diego b/c this is the prominent street food in Tijuana. Delicious.

If you like Irish pub food. I highly recommend the "Full Irish Breakfast" at The Field on 5th. It's such a treat.

Also, Lucky's Lunch Counter the hand-breaded fried pork tenderloin sandwich. This is a real Midwestern treat and only 2 places in SD do it and Lucky's is the best one :)
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Juniper & Ivy in Little Italy. Went there on the Sunday night after con. Incredible food and decent prices.
It's now my favourite restaurant in San Diego.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Juniper & Ivy in Little Italy. Went there on the Sunday night after con. Incredible food and decent prices.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I went to Juniper & Ivy in 2015 and 2016. (In 2016 I went twice.) This past March when I visited San Diego I didn't enjoy it at all so I skipped it this con. Maybe I'll head back next year.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
The places I went that I loved:

Water Grill
Cafe Sevilla - an annual tradition.  Love the tapas.
Puesto - great tacos
Blue Point Coastal Cuisine - great service, great atmosphere

Places I didn't love:

Searsucker - the chef may be famous, but place plays their music way too loud.  Not what I want to relax after a day at the con.  We wanted to share notes about our con day, but couldn't hear each other.

The pop-op Sushi and beer place in the MMM lobby - worst sushi I've ever had.  It was supposed to be shrimp tempura and I got two pieces with shrimp in it, while the other pieces had just rice and avocado.

Place that was right for the situation:

The Marina Kitchen in MMM - only had a burger on the final day and it was fine.  I did have nightcaps there.  They make good cocktails.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Foodies guide to SDCC
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 03:11:56 PM »

what specifically is your fav dish at this place?

to everyone- i want to know specifically what dish you ordered.  I can say this restaurant is good but I need to know what dishes in that restaurant are good

keep in mind this is a FOODIE thread not the general review thread-

Like at the Water Grill San Diego the
I had the
BEAUREGUARDE
vodka, lemongrass, muddled blueberries & fresh lemon... served up over ice chips
very tasty- a little sweet but with good fresh flavor
and
a half doz CARLSBAD BLONDE raw oysters.  they weren't as flavorful as i remember other oysters to be but they were large & meaty.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:03:04 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
At Tin Fish, DH really likes the Chicken tacos (don't ask! He does love fish)
I like the Fish & Chips basket that was mentioned earlier.

I don't know that it's a foodie destination. It's more of a convenience with decent food.
Ang

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
The Blind Burro had a thing called a Quesadilla Machete that was amazing. And now I want one.  :'(

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
My faves from this year:

Tury's Tacos (Behind Border X Brewing in Barrio Logan -- they have tacos and mulitas with some interesting fillings, such as Guatemalan-style chicharron, that go great with the beer but can hold up on their own without them...awesome salsa bar too!)
Doner Mediterranean Grill (Right smack in the middle of the Gaslamp, this was literally the only non-pizza or Subway type place I could find on Friday at 11 PM that had food to grab and go, and it was awesome. Great homemade hummus!)
The Kebab Shop (These are all over the place and awesome, one of their meat & 2 side plates is probably enough for two meals)
The Local Eatery/Resident Brewing (Their food menu is actually pretty good, or at least their Halibut with Thai Curry fish of the day special was)
Underbelly (No denying the pretentious silly gimmick, but the Belly of the Beast Ramen is still one of my favorite things ever.)

SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
what specifically is your fav dish at this place?

They always change the menu to cater to whats available to them so it's gonna different visit to visit but the Carne Cruda Asada is their most popular dish thats always on the menu. If you don't mind beef tartar its really good. They also have their own version of the In N Out burger and animals fries on their secret menu called the "In n Haute" burger but I'd probably order something else if its your first time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:06:03 PM by Carlo »