Author Topic: Going solo to SDCC in 2018  (Read 3813 times)

Offline ty1499

• Sails Pavilion
  • First time to Comic-con super excited
  • Liked: 1
Going solo to SDCC in 2018
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »
Hello,
My name is Tyler and I am wanting to know if any first timers or veterans that are going by themselves would like to meet up in group. I'm going by myself and would prefer to have some friends there. Let me know.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:36:29 AM by Devorah »
Let me know who would like to do a group cosplay I will gladly join for my first experience.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Going solo to SDCC in 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:38:13 AM »
Forum Housekeeping: Changed the name of the thread for clarity.

[member=7793]ty1499[/member] I have gone by myself a few times and this forum has been a great way to find others to meet up with. Be sure to also watch once the con gets closer and we start to list the forum meetups. :)

ETA: Moved to CCI General Discussion board.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:42:35 AM by Devorah »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:26:14 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »
FoCC meetups will be posted in the new year! Sign up and meet vets and newbies alike!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:49:40 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
[member=7793]ty1499[/member]
there usually is a casual meet up on Tuesday afternoon by the hilton- rsvp'ing is not necessary- it's that casual.

the other way is to identify others who are into doing the same thing you are- like getting exclusives for example. see if you can join a group trying to line up for that item or hall h or autographs etc all

the other thing is to start now trying to find a roommate. if you're looking of course.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline OyaIsMe

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:10:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=7793]ty1499[/member]
there usually is a casual meet up on Tuesday afternoon by the hilton- rsvp'ing is not necessary- it's that casual.

the other way is to identify others who are into doing the same thing you are- like getting exclusives for example. see if you can join a group trying to line up for that item or hall h or autographs etc all

the other thing is to start now trying to find a roommate. if you're looking of course.
I’m a first timer and will be going alone. Would love to get know anyone and do a meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:48 PM »
I’m a first timer and will be going alone. Would love to get know anyone and do a meet up.

while i understand the desire to have your own hotel room- they get flipping expensive!! If you start looking now you might find someone you can be comfortable with. there is a "need a roommate thread" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Goling solo to comic con can be a good thing and be fun. and as said above can always try meetup with anyone or group at said location day or days before event to learn and take note of pros and cons of event.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
Heck to the yeah!  People have already mentioned the FoCC meet ups.  Keep an eye out for those.  It's an AWESOME way to meet people here.  In addition to that, if there's something you really want to do you can just post about it and see if anyone else wants to meet up.  Or see if anyone else is posting about it and ask to tag along.  This convention is huge and a lot of times people are more than happy to have someone tag along for a part of the experience.  Line groups, parties, panels, offsite events, even hotel roommates. You name it, you can probably find another person who wants to do it with you.  And I can tell you right now that unless what I'm doing is exclusive (some events are closed off guest lists or for returning "members" of certain events only) I'm happy to have newbies tag along :)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:20:14 PM »
I myself dont mind the the solo gig so to speak, cause then as said above u can try do meet ups or just raom around and not gotta keep tabs who is where and just focus on u and where u can go and where at time. no need to check in with anyone unless u volunteer and gotta check in at certain time or working the event for offsite or a booth any. but going solo can be fun and exciting. from what i read and know is that u neer know who u might see or meet at time. so being solo can be a party in itself lol. just be safe, be aware, and go where u can at time and if u told no for a reason then dont do it.

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
Hey, My name is Carly and I will be coming from Australia. I have been to USA for a few holidays before but super excited for my first time going to the con. I would love to meet up with people while there.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
Hey, My name is Carly and I will be coming from Australia. I have been to USA for a few holidays before but super excited for my first time going to the con. I would love to meet up with people while there.

Heck yeah, friend.  Check in on this forum every few days (like maybe once a week at least?) to see when the meet up posts go up.  Once they go up, you can sign up for certain meet ups that have limited space.  Not all meets up are limited though so if you miss out, no worries!  And likewise, there's a ton of other non forum unofficial hang out opportunities.  :)  Welcome!

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
Yea, like this past con i knew some friends was gonna be attending but didnt know what days or what time or where to meet up cause i didnt plan ahead for that incase they had their own plans but by chance saw them as i was roaming around the place and was cool. caught up on things then we roamed around and showed where con suite was to get a free snack for badge holders but not sure everyone knew about cause some days it wasnt really crowded or not many knew about it ahead of time. so there are perks to having a badge just know u cant really go everywhere at con for one reason or another. but was fun and cool to see and meet up with friends i knew from job or past meetings of cons. even seeing some stars and comic makers didnt expect to meet or see at time.

Offline Chee

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
I got all days this year, however my beautiful best friend/wife is no where near as hyped about SDCC as I am so she only has a Saturday ticket. What is the best way to CON-Solo?

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »
I got all days this year, however my beautiful best friend/wife is no where near as hyped about SDCC as I am so she only has a Saturday ticket. What is the best way to CON-Solo?

Not sure if there is really a best way to go solo. just go with what u know or ask and get plenty answers here from many who have gone before. be ready and have fun. do what u can and dont get bummed out if miss anything, just be happy u at the con and get what u can with what u want most. have fun and be safe.

Offline randymeeks

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 06:58:55 AM »
Hey!

I usually travel by myself and I don't have any problems meeting people in hostels - And in SDCC you have the same hobbies, you'll meet people and make friends!

This is my first year too and I'll travel from Spain, so I'll have two problems: being alone and speaking a foreign language. We'll see how this goes! Lucky for myself, this is not my first rodeo.  ;D