Author Topic: IMDB has shut down their message boards  (Read 1598 times)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
IMDB has shut down their message boards
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:53 AM »
I was an almost daily viewer of various aread of the message boards on IMDB for many years.  There were so many funny, insightful folk who shared their love, angst and passions for their fave shows, actors and movies.  I was shocked and very sad when the IMDB message boards disappeared yesterday.  IMDB said they would be taking them off on Feb 20th so there was at least some notice. No matter what they say aloud, I feel their reasons boil down to this- the boards were not bringing in the cash.

Thankfully talented and zealous fans have been able to siphon off many message threads (moviechat.org) and also started new message boards.  I just feel as if I have been kicked in the stomach.  I had to stop myself from going to the message boards there this morning. Just...sad.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:32:01 AM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
Re: IMBD has shut down their message boards
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
Although I was never much of a contributor to the IMDB message boards, I often found them incredibly helpful and insightful regarding various films and shows I'm passionate about. Getting rid of them was completely unnecessary and the site will see it's traffic greatly reduced as a result I would imagine.
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: IMDB has shut down their message boards
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:15:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
IMDB is the best idea ever.  I'm constantly looking for "where do I know that actor from?".  :)

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Although I was never much of a contributor to the IMDB message boards, I often found them incredibly helpful and insightful regarding various films and shows I'm passionate about. Getting rid of them was completely unnecessary and the site will see it's traffic greatly reduced as a result I would imagine.
They took them offline because online bullying was becoming a huge problem for them. They were spending more time removing posts etc than doing other things.

While I'm disappointed to see it go, I certainly wouldn't want to see a high profile film site succumb to trolling boards.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:10:27 AM »
Oddly enough and i speak from a little bit of experience here, to run a successful board- you have to really want to to do it.  Not saying imdb didn't but their focus is the main pages & the forum was an after thought. so it becomes a matter of what's the primary focus of their business? What's their mission statement? for imdb it's the data base of movies & pro's.

to be honest that's a lot of the reason i put the focc mission statement in place, so folks would know, that focc is about building a community
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:15:56 AM »
Oddly enough and i speak from a little bit of experience here, to run a successful board- you have to really want to to do it.  Not saying imdb didn't but their focus is the main pages & the forum was an after thought. so it becomes a matter of what's the primary focus of their business? What's their mission statement? for imdb it's the data base of movies & pro's.

to be honest that's a lot of the reason i put the focc mission statement in place, so folks would know, that focc is about building a community

[member=1]alyssa[/member] -  FoCC volunteers do a fantastic job of keeping this forum an open, warm, informative, exceedingly helpful and fun community...I appreciate your work even more now!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline LibertyRoxx

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »
It's a great contrast of how NOT to run a message board (IMDB) and how TO run one (FoCC). I can't imagine their boards were particularly well moderated. Online harassment and trolling should be nipped in the bud on a forum. I know the mods on here and some other forums I'm on do an incredible job. It's not easy and it's often thankless. So thank you FoCC moderators for everything you do!
SDCC- 2011-2019, 2022; DCC- 2014, 2017, 2022; SWC- 1999, 2017, 2022; Dragon Con- 2014; Gallifrey One- 2015, 2018-2019, 2022-2023; NYCC- 2010-2019, 2021-2022; ECCC- 2018-2019, 2021-2022

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »

If you build it, they will come

:)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] -  FoCC volunteers do a fantastic job of keeping this forum an open, warm, informative, exceedingly helpful and fun community...I appreciate your work even more now!

It's a great contrast of how NOT to run a message board (IMDB) and how TO run one (FoCC). I can't imagine their boards were particularly well moderated. Online harassment and trolling should be nipped in the bud on a forum. I know the mods on here and some other forums I'm on do an incredible job. It's not easy and it's often thankless. So thank you FoCC moderators for everything you do!

[member=352]marcia29[/member] and [member=2335]LibertyRoxx[/member]: Awwww, that means a lot!  Thank you so much.

It's true that it can be a hectic and thankless job when you're trying to moderate and run a forum community, but we do this because we are passionate about comic conventions and creating that sense of community and friendship, while using our common interests as a starting point to initiate the conversation.  The core moderating team and I appreciate all of our wonderful members, who participate and contribute toward making this place something worthwhile.  It's all of you that help us make Friends of Comic-Con be the best it can be.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:09:20 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
Re: IMDB has shut down their message boards
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:44 AM »

thank you guys. I just posted because i think sometimes folks don't quite know what goes in to maintaining a community. I certainly feel for the members of the imdb boards - it's hard when you loose a place you felt a home in.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5