Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Btw, still not a fan of the Klingons, unless there's a reason why they look different.

There is a reason why they look different. There was a whole ret-con story arc in Enterprise, which I thought was pretty good, actually.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
I pay $1freakin70 for cable/month as it is and now can't watch Star Trek, it's getting ridiculous.   How have they NOT created Starfleet academy yet?  seems a sure hit with the young adults.  They could do internships in space, so it didn't get to classroom boring.

I guess I get what they are doing with CBS All Access and trying to get it established. But it is frustrating that you can watch it on Netflix only if you aren't in the US or Canada.

Does anyone know if the channel it is on in Canada is a standard one or a separate subscription?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:24:12 AM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
I guess I get what they are doing with CBS All Access and trying to get it established. But it is frustrating that you can watch it on Netflix only if you aren't in the US or Canada.

Does anyone know if the channel it is on in Canada is a standard one or a separate subscription?
In Canada it is on Space. We have a messed up system with respect to communications. For cable, offerings differ by province and carrier. Also, because it is owned by Bell Media, I think in their packages it is included in tier 2, but for other providers it would be in tier 3 and it may even be a la carte.

There is a reason why they look different. There was a whole ret-con story arc in Enterprise, which I thought was pretty good, actually.

The Enterprise story wasn't really a retcon, it was fan service based on Worf's comments in the DS9 25th anniversary episode when they travel back in time. (Similar to the Borgs episode, section 31, etc.) The current movie look is just Abrams, similar to what he did with the Romulans. I don't care for either of the changes.

Personally, I find JJ to be the worst thing that ever happened to Star Trek, so I'm not jazzed... but I wasn't planning on paying for CBS All Access anyway. I'll let the first season shake out and see if people feel like it's worth watching after the fact.
Amen. I f*****g hate what Abrams has done to Star Trek. I've accepted that I am not going to get 24th century Star Trek from where Voyager left off. Now I am upset :(
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
need battletech. the game of thrones in space.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
All that JJ love in that trailer. Man, you sure he didn't direct this series? Lol

Now how do I feel about this trailer? It feels like Mass Effect meets Star Trek. The tech also looks way too advanced to be 10 years before Kirk. Don't get me started on the Klingons... Overall, the trailer is cool, the series looks interesting, but it does not feel like Star Trek.

I agree twelve thousand times with what you just said.  I am sad about it, as I love trek so much.  Have they learned nothing from Enterprise???
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
Premiere (star)date set:

“Star Trek: Discovery” has set an official premiere date, with the new entry in the storied sci-fi franchise set to launch this fall, Variety has learned.

The series will launch Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30 p.m./7:30c on CBS, though that time is approximate due to NFL Football and “60 Minutes” also airing that night. The series premiere will also be available on-demand on CBS All Access and the second episode of the series will be available on the service that same night immediately following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two parts. The first eight episodes will run from Sept. 24 through Nov. 5. The season will then resume in January 2018.

“Discovery” was originally set to launch CBS All Access in January 2017, but the hotly anticipated series has been repeatedly delayed. As Variety previously reported, sources say difficulties casting and behind-the-scenes flux, including Bryan Fuller stepping down as showrunner, are cause for the show’s delay. CBS Corp. boss Leslie Moonves previously said at an investor conference that he was confident in the quality of the series, and the delay is due to requiring a lot of post production. “It’s important to get it right, and ‘Star Trek’ is the family jewels,” Moonves said.

Plot details for the show have been kept under wraps, but “The Walking Dead” alum Sonequa Martin-Green leads the series as Lt. Commander Michael Burnham. She stars alongside Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh, and Anthony Rapp among others.

“Star Trek: Discovery” is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Kurtzman, Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg, Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers. The series will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
I must say, episode 1 was good. Episode 2, the first half was fine but the second part was not. The very end felt like a cheap TV show.  But before that, I find the plan to be frustrating to watch. I mean, without saying too much, they have all this tech around them, but they couldn't make something to keep their distance from that character?

The new Klingon look still doesn't do it for me and it looks like they are retconning big time here. The production value is really good and the opening theme was, too. I'm hoping they are not making the main character to be a 'chosen one' when it comes to facing any challenge. I still say the tech inside the ships do not fit the timeline nor it feels like it is from the Star Trek universe. Oh yeah, the JJ vibe is there. I'm still giving the show a chance, because I do like some of the characters. My favorites so far are Lt. Saru, Rainsford and the captain. Just curious as to where this story is going. Its true identity, if that makes sense...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:01:02 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
Is anyone actually going to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch it? We're thinking of waiting until the first half-season is over and then doing a free trial to binge-watch it.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I may, when a few eps get back logged
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
Agree pretty much with [member=2389]Mario Wario[/member] . I really like Saru and the whole concept of the species, more of that kind of thing please. Not so keen on the whole Sarek-Spock connection for Michael, but like her character and am curious to see where they take it.

Overall, the show was better than I thought it would be but I can't see adding another subscription for it, though I would like to watch The Good Fight as well. Will probably wait for a trial/binge or just wait even longer until it shows up elsewhere.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
Overall, the show was better than I thought it would be but I can't see adding another subscription for it, though I would like to watch The Good Fight as well. Will probably wait for a trial/binge or just wait even longer until it shows up elsewhere.

Good point. They'll probably release the entire season on DVD, or maybe Amazon Prime, once it's finished.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
The Sarek-Spock connection is the most exciting thing to me.....I like the idea of exploring what it would be like to be a human raised by Vulcans. I guess it does tread back on Spock's constant struggle between his human side and his vulcan side, but I still like it. And I guess I also like the possibility that Spock will show up too. What can I say....I am cheesy.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
This show had EVERYTHING I wanted.  Vulcans are my favorite thing in the ST universe, so I'm totally jazzed at that whole subplot.  And the diversity is amazing.  It passed the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login in 90 seconds.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I was really happy with the first hour. Signed up and will continue with this series.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
It will probably be on Netflix , since that is the outside US streaming service that is showing it

So far The Orville episode 3 is winning
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?