Author Topic: Pros/Cons of a Professional Badge?  (Read 8766 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: Pros/Cons of a Professional Badge?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
I read through comments and one mentioned the box and pin, i volunteered and didnt get one in mail but by chance saw they had some on table in sails area where some celebs sign autogrpahs and meet and greet. i just asked if was able to have one and they said yes. they didnt really ask for statues as reg or other badge so it was cool at time to get one by chance at time.

Offline azul120

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
When does the Marvel booth start handing out signing tickets each morning? If pros get an advantage, then urgh.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:12:22 AM »

Offline Brian.A

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 04:58:20 AM »
I've only ever used that line in the back on preview night. I don't know that it really lets in much earlier than any other. It's definitely a shorter line and it puts you roughly in the middle of the exhibit floor.
I also got a box and pin as a pro this year.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've only ever used that line in the back on preview night. I don't know that it really lets in much earlier than any other. It's definitely a shorter line and it puts you roughly in the middle of the exhibit floor.
I also got a box and pin as a pro this year.

Whenever I used the line in the back it was always shorter, or at the very least you don't have to camp overnight to be in a good position if all you want is to get on the exhibit hall floor.  It's closer to some things like Marvel, but further away from others.  Their goal is to let all lines in at the exact same time, that includes the pro line.  Things don't always go as planned and I've heard stories of the pro line getting in early and I've heard stories about that line getting in late.  Best bet is to plan it is the same time and realize that sometimes the odds are in your favor and sometimes they are not.  I've seen people get upset with the latter, but it never changes the outcome, so it's much better just to go with it and have a good time.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »
Guessing with how things are now, and the time it takes to have everyone scan badge in besides safety and all cause i have seen almost everyone try shove those ahead to get in faster even though u gotta scan in and out every time. people always think they gonna miss something cause one line is in ahead of others at times, but not sure that always true. so i glad i just chill to side and let the rat race shove everyone to get in and let security yell to stop so all badges are scanned and beep right incase gotta send back to get it fixed any.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
I had professional badge for three years and I do not remember a special entrance. With respect to the lounge, there is a general lounge available to everyone that is the same as the professional lounge.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
When does the Marvel booth start handing out signing tickets each morning? If pros get an advantage, then urgh.

Last year, I was first in the pro line. By the time, I got to the Marvel booth there was already a line of exhibitors with regular badges. The line was capped before the regular attendees had a chance to draw. Even though I made the line, I didn't get the opportunity to draw the 400 raffle tickets.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 07:02:57 AM »
I had professional badge for three years and I do not remember a special entrance. With respect to the lounge, there is a general lounge available to everyone that is the same as the professional lounge.

It's the stairs between the sails and rooms 6abcd. A guard will ask to show your badge.

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
Last year, I was first in the pro line. By the time, I got to the Marvel booth there was already a line of exhibitors with regular badges. The line was capped before the regular attendees had a chance to draw. Even though I made the line, I didn't get the opportunity to draw the 400 raffle tickets.

Did they not let you draw because you were a pro?

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 08:07:02 AM »
Did they not let you draw because you were a pro?
Before they capped the line, I made the line up at the Marvel booth. The Marvel booth ran out of raffle tickets/winning tickets before i had an opportunity to draw on Saturday. 

Nobody from the regular line had an opportunity to draw. The only way to stop Marvel is moving the raffle to the sails. That won't happen because Marvel likes to make their own rules against SDCC wishes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:10:40 AM by Roshawn »

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »
I guess SDCC has gotten to be one of the most popular events for San Diego if the line is capped so early cause so many go to con for any reason. if they allow exhibitors / vendors to try for anythng i wonder if they flip any signed stuff and charge a bankload for it or keep for own want. i not sure if they can limit who allowed to be in line so everyone get a fair try but seems the same kinda badges score most of the time unless u lucky to get in line before anyone else by chance.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
To Pro, or Not to Pro...
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
So, I recently found out that I could start applying for a Pro badge, based on my current job.  The question to the folks is:

If you have the ability to apply for Pro, would you?  List your pros/cons.

Pros: No lottery
Cons: No Pre-Reg; Limited exclusive purchases

I'm sure others have more pros/cons...let's hear.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: To Pro, or Not to Pro...
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
There was a thread a while back about the advantages of a pro badge.  The free coffee and cost savings would be enough for me if there was a strong likelihood that I could stay a pro for a number of years. We had pro badges last year and only last year and being locked out of returning reg was not fun. We were lucky in open reg thank goodness but I did regret it up to that point.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
If I were in the industry and saw myself with a company that had pro badges I would do it based solely on the hope that I will be guaranteed each year a badge as a pro. This way at least I won't have to go through the mess of returning reg and gen reg as a regular attendee. Sure, you may be excluded from the exclusives but you could get lucky on eBay or other after-market shops for said exclusives.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
I went Pro this year and I don't see many cons. Once approved you are good for 3 years and you have a shot at a comped guest badge and an additonal paid guest badge. Unless you completely change careers or are planning to after 3 years, I can't imagine a con. Badge savings alone over 3 years are tremendous.

I think Hasbro is the only booth that won't sell to pros, and that's only on Preview Night. I'd love to understand the logic behind that. It's not like Pros are Exhibitors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter