Author Topic: Has SDCC or NYCC (or both) ever caused you to miss something you wanted to see?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 327
Ever since I started going to San Diego Comic-Con in 2011 and New York Comic Con in 2014, I always knew one of these days, either one or both of these events may cause me to miss something I really want to see.

Well, it finally happened!!!  This may be a long story, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

Back in the 1970s when I was a teen, I was always fascinated with advertisements, both in print and on TV, for low budget or Italian giallo horror movies.  Sometimes when I see the ads I can't always tell if they're American or foreign.  In New York, where I grew up, it was commonplace for such movies to be shown in run-down or dilapidated movie theaters as opposed to the expensive theaters that show A-list first-run studio features.

One movie that caught my attention was "Suspiria," an Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento about an American girl who flies off to Germany to attend a dance academy, in which unbeknownst to her, is run by witches.  It was released to theaters in the U.S. in the Summer of 1977.  I was vacationing with my family in Los Angeles when that film came out.  As you know, L.A. is known for countless billboards in Hollywood and West Hollywood.  I saw a billboard for this movie during a few of our drives.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The poster looked so creepy I knew this would be a really scary movie.  However back then, I was too much of a chicken to see these kinds of movies in the theater.  I felt "safer" watching them at home on HBO.  I was even too scared to see movies like "Halloween" even though I was fascinated by the posters and advertisements.

This was the 30-second TV advertisement.

In 1979, I saw a trailer for "Suspiria" on HBO when we were living in Hawaii.  When it started, I thought it was going to be an ad for one of those soft-core R-rated movies, until the woman getting her hair brushed turned around and I knew it was a horror film.

Before I could watch it, I had to watch it at a time when my little brother would be asleep.  He was only seven then and I didn't want him watching that kind of movie.  After watching it and getting creeped out by it, I forgot about the film afterwards.

Then in 1989, the movie was about to be released on VHS in the U.S. for the first time.  I rented it and it was still as scary as it was when I first saw it.

In 1994, I saw it on the big screen for the first time at the Roxy Theatre in San Francisco as part of an Italian giallo festival.  In 2001, I decided to buy it when it was released on standard DVD.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found out it will be released on Blu-ray by the end of this year.

At the same time, an organization called The Chicago Cinema Society announced they have located a 35mm print of the original Italian version of "Suspiria" and that they will bring the print around to show at movie theaters at selected cities in the U.S.  One of them will be at the Egypitan Theatre in Hollywood on Monday, October 2, 2017.  Even Dario Argento himself will be there for Q&A.  Unfortunately, that is also the day I am going to be on a plane to New York to attend New York Comic Con!!!  So I'll be missing a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I should add this event was just arranged within the last two weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I have no regrets getting tickets to see New York Comic Con, but i'll be still thinking about this event that I am going to miss.  I thought about changing my reservations and arriving in New York a day later, but the fees for changing are ridiculous.  I prefer to arrive in New York as early in the week as possible to prepare for NYCC.  Plus I had non-Comic Con things already planned before NYCC starts.

So has anyone out there also had to miss out on something because of either SDCC, NYCC or both?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:08:44 pm by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
NYCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
SDCC 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016

Offline jamiesugah

• Gaming Lounge
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 82
My cousin got married on July 22nd. I was at the Supergirl panel.  ;D

This was her second wedding. I missed the first one because I had NSYNC tickets. She has never given much notice about her weddings. We found out the date for this one in February, but I mean, I'd already bought my plane tickets. It's Comic-Con.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline FBS

• Hall H
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 346
Ever since I started going to San Diego Comic-Con in 2011 and New York Comic Con in 2014, I always knew one of these days, either one or both of these events may cause me to miss something I really want to see.

Well, it finally happened!!!  This may be a long story, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

Back in the 1970s when I was a teen, I was always fascinated with advertisements, both in print and on TV, for low budget or Italian giallo horror movies.  Sometimes when I see the ads I can't always tell if their American or foreign.  In New York, where I grew up, it was commonplace for such movies to be shown in run-down or dilapidated movie theaters as opposed to the expensive theaters that show A-list first-run studio features.

One movie that caught my attention was "Suspiria," an Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento about an American girl who flies off to Germany to attend a dance academy, in which unbeknownst to her, is run by witches.  It was released to theaters in the U.S. in the Summer of 1977.  I was vacationing with my family in Los Angeles when that film came out.  As you know, L.A. is known for countless billboards in Hollywood and West Hollywood.  I saw a billboard for this movie during a few of our drives.

The poster looked so creepy I knew this would be a really scary movie.  However back then, I was too much of a chicken to see these kinds of movies in the theater.  I felt "safer" watching them at home on HBO.  I was even too scared to see movies like "Halloween" even though I was fascinated by the posters and advertisements.

This was the 30-second TV advertisement.

In 1979, I saw a trailer for "Suspiria" on HBO when we were living in Hawaii.  When it started, I thought it was going to be an ad for one of those soft-core R-rated movies, until the woman getting her hair brushed turned around and I knew it was a horror film.

Before I could watch it, I had to watch it at a time when my little brother would be asleep.  He was only seven then and I didn't want him watching that kind of movie.  After watching it and getting creeped out by it, I forgot about the film afterwards.

Then in 1989, the movie was about to be released on VHS in the U.S. for the first time.  I rented it and it was still as scary as it was when I first saw it.

In 1994, I saw it on the big screen for the first time at the Roxy Theatre in San Francisco as part of an Italian giallo festival.  In 2001, I decided to buy it when it was released on standard DVD.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found out it will be released on Blu-ray by the end of this year.

At the same time, an organization called The Chicago Cinema Society announced they have located a 35mm print of the original Italian version of "Suspiria" and that they will bring the print around to show at movie theaters at selected cities in the U.S.  One of them will be at the Egypitan Theatre in Hollywood on Monday, October 2, 2017.  Even Dario Argento himself will be there for Q&A.  Unfortunately, that is also the day I am going to be on a plane to New York to attend New York Comic Con!!!  So I'll be missing a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I should add this event was just arranged within the last two weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I have no regrets getting tickets to see New York Comic Con, but i'll be still thinking about this event that I am going to miss.  I thought about changing my reservations and arriving in New York a day later, but the fees for changing are ridiculous.  I prefer to arrive in New York as early in the week as possible to prepare for NYCC.  Plus I had non-Comic Con things already planned before NYCC starts.

So has anyone out there also had to miss out on something because of either SDCC, NYCC or both?
Have you read Alan Jones's book on Dario Argento?
I can highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Fulfillment Room
Have you read Alan Jones's book on Dario Argento?
I can highly recommend it.

That looks interesting, I'll check it out.  I posted your recommendation to the people who are going to see "Suspiria" on October 2.
D23 Expo 2017

• Fulfillment Room
My cousin got married on July 22nd. I was at the Supergirl panel.  ;D

This was her second wedding. I missed the first one because I had NSYNC tickets. She has never given much notice about her weddings. We found out the date for this one in February, but I mean, I'd already bought my plane tickets. It's Comic-Con.

My goodness, that sucks having to miss not one but two of your cousin's weddings!  I guess it's a matter of pick your poison.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline jamiesugah

• Gaming Lounge
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 82
My goodness, that sucks having to miss not one but two of your cousin's weddings!  I guess it's a matter of pick your poison.

Eh. She's my first cousin, but I haven't seen her since I was 2, so we're not close or anything. I knew the date, but I didn't get an actual invitation to the wedding until the beginning of July, so I wasn't sure if I was invited.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline FBS

• Hall H
That looks interesting, I'll check it out.  I posted your recommendation to the people who are going to see "Suspiria" on October 2.
Thanks Andrew.

• Fulfillment Room
Thanks Andrew.

I bought the book yesterday, it was just shipped this morning.  I'll have it by Sept. 20.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline FBS

• Hall H
I bought the book yesterday, it was just shipped this morning.  I'll have it by Sept. 20.
Let me know what you think.