Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day 2017  (Read 5450 times)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Free Comic Book Day 2017
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:30:35 PM by AzT »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 6995
Re: Free Comic Book Day 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »

LION FORGE DEBUTS CATALYST PRIME IN MAY 2017
View this email in your browser

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LION FORGE TO PREMIER CATALYST PRIME FOR FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2017!

Writers Christopher J. Priest and Joseph P. Illidge Team With Artists Marco Turini and Jessica Kholinne to Introduce 2017’s Most Anticipated Event

DECEMBER 20, ST. LOUIS, MO—Anticipation has been building for the recently announced Lion Forge superhero initiative: Catalyst Prime. At this year’s New York Comic Con, the company gave exclusive insight into the future of super-powered comics, widely praised across the industry as the highlight of the entire convention!

Today, it is announced that Catalyst Prime, this exciting new superhero universe will premiere at Free Comic Book Day, in a one-shot special written by Christopher J. Priest (Deathstroke, Black Panther) and Joseph Phillip Illidge (Solarman), with art by Marco Turini (Legends of the Dark Knight, Secret Wars: Battleworld) and Jessica Kholinne (Secret Wars: Star-Lord & Kitty Pryde)!

A mission to save the world from a rapidly approaching asteroid changes the lives of five astronauts forever, and begins the rise of superhuman beings on Earth. The surprise ending will lay the groundwork for the entire Catalyst Prime line of comics in 2017 and beyond!

“Catalyst Prime is the superhero line the comic book industry needs” says writer/editor Joseph Phillip Illidge. “An inclusive universe of character-driven, heroic adventure stories by a diverse group of creators, with the opportunity to start at the ground floor and experience each title as the entry to a new world.”

The line-up of superhero titles, spearheaded by the Writers Room of Christopher Priest, Joe Casey, Amy Chu, David F. Walker, Brandon Thomas, Alex deCampi, Sheena C. Howard, and Ramon Govea, along with other star-studded top-tier creators, starts here!

Catalyst Prime debuts on Free Comic Book Day 2017, which takes place on Saturday May 6 at a comic shop near you! In the meantime, visit catalystprime.lionforge.com for exciting updates and secrets to the Catalyst Prime universe!

About Lion Forge Comics:
Lion Forge Comics strives to create comics that everyone — regardless of background or ethnicity — can identify with. Their title Andre the Giant: Closer To Heaven was nominated for three Glyph Awards. From indie creators to licensed properties including Dreamworks’ Voltron Legendary Defender, NBC/Universal’s Miami Vice, Airwolf, Punky Brewster, Saved By The Bell, and Knight Rider, and American Greetings’ Care Bears and Madballs, there is something for every level of comic fan.
Lion Forge Comics — Comics For Everyone. Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for more information.
Lion Forge Facebook: facebook.com/LionForge/
Lion Forge Twitter: twitter.com/lionforge

Copyright © 2016 Seen All Over Media, LLC, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email as registered attendee of New York Comic Con 2016

Our mailing address is:
Seen All Over Media, LLC
6715 NE FremontPortland, OR 97213

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:17:11 AM »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
A helpful chart:

Not sure what #FCBD17 title age-appropriate for your little ones...or you?! FCBD age rating can help: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »
I love Free Comic Book Day! Can we get a calendar link to it [member=2163]AzT[/member]? Thanks!
Ang

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
I love Free Comic Book Day! Can we get a calendar link to it [member=2163]AzT[/member]? Thanks!

Done :)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
Added to my list:

A First Look At The James Cameron Avatar Comic For Free Comic Book Day 2017

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »

Rick & Morty's Free Comic Book Day Creators Explain Why "You Can Do Anything With The Show"

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »

Preview Marvel's Free Comic Book Day Titles

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
The answers that Ken and Jeff give to the last two questions in this interview are pure gold (bold = mine):

Ken Siu-chong and Jeffrey Cruz Explain The Similarities Between Wrestling and Comics

We sat down with writer Ken Siu-chong and artist Jeffrey “Chamba” Cruz to talk about their Street Fighter comic for Free Comic Book Day. They tell us about the similarities between wrestling and comic books, and they give us some details about the characters and storylines that will be in their Free Comic Book Day issue! Street Fighter V Wrestling Special is going to lay the smack down on Free Comic Book Day 2017!

Free Comic Book Day: Why the overlap between the wrestling and comic book fandoms? How are they similar?

KEN: As someone who grew up as a comic and professional wrestling fan, the similarities are striking. Wrestlers might be called babyfaces instead of superheroes or heels instead of villains, but wrestling story lines are essentially the same tales of good vs. evil that take place in comic book pages-their athletic abilities are just slightly less super-human than mutants or gamma-irradiated scientists. With both, you also have a similar suspension of disbelief, accepting wrestling's insane internal logic and over-sized personalities just like you accept physics-defying comic book super powers so that you can maintain the fantasy and enjoy the ride.

JEFF: How I see it, Street Fighter is a 'Fighting' comic (like the title states, heh) and since Wrestling is about fighting too, it kind of makes sense.

Who are some of the characters fans will get to know from your Free Comic Book Day comic?

KEN: Readers will get to see fan-favorites Rainbow Mika, Sakura and Dan Hibiki at his pathetic-but-resilient best, but the real fun begins with the introduction of the new all-female wrestling squad that Capcom created for Street Fighter V. It was a complete blast getting to flesh out their personalities and my personal favorite is Maple Storm, but I might be biased since I'm Canadian! The backup story also features the tragically under-used Haggar from Final Fight in a Cold War-era wrestling story vs. Zangief.

What got you reading comics? What are some series you’re reading today?

KEN: My first proper comics were from a grab bag of Spider-Man comics my parents got me from a grocery store. I wish I could recall which issues they were, but all I can remember is that my favorite one was a post-Secret Wars Spider-man comic with his black symbiote costume.

As for what I'm reading, I don't know if it's just me showing my age, but I recently picked up Wonder Woman '77 and thought it was such a clever idea. I'm a child of the 80's who grew up watching Wonder Woman and Superfriends re-runs, so it really tickled my nostalgia.

JEFF: The artwork in the pages and the subjects touched in the themes. As I child I didn't know there were stories about space and monsters etc, so that really captured my interest. Currently I'm reading (but unfortunately not up to date with) Invincible and TMNT, but am reading (and up to date) with One Piece and One Punch Man.

What books would you recommend to new readers and why?

KEN: As a father of young kids who are beginning to read on their own, my strategy has been to embrace their addiction to cartoons and video games by getting them adaptations of their favorites. I've started them on “gateway” comics based on Sonic the Hedgehog, Teen Titans Go! and Pokemon. After waking up one Saturday morning and finding the kids reading comics on the couch, I think my plan is working!

JEFF: In all honesty, I would recommend Akira Toriyama's first creation 'Dr. Slump'. It's funny, the art is great and it's a complete run. I'd also recommend Invincible for fans of 'superheroes' with a different spin.

Why do you think Free Comic Book Day is important to the comic book community?

KEN: It's all about the kids and grooming them to be the next generation of readers. Free Comic Book Day is a really great way to get some exposure and lure some kids in who might not otherwise set foot in a comic store.

JEFF: It's family friendly event that could attract younger audiences. And people in general enjoy 'free'.

Why do you think local comic shops are important to the comic book community?

KEN: I hate to sound like a luddite, but I think it's important to still have brick and mortar stores where kids can go and explore. As convenient as downloading a digital comic is, I think there's still value in the tactile experience of walking up to a shelf and flipping through whatever catches your eye.

JEFF: If the shop is a good one, it is a place that can assist both new and older readers into the medium of comics, through the friendly suggestions and recommendations that the staff can make based on the interest of the customer.

For Free Comic Book Day 2017 Ken will be checking out Blue Moon Comics Strikes Back and Von's Comics in Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana, with kids in tow! While Jeff will be at Classic Comics in Melbourne, Australia. Doing a few free sketches before Lunch.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
Wow, there are a lot of great titles this year!  Annual tradition for me and my family.  :)
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »

The #FCBD17 store locator is live! Make sure your local comic shop is participating in the event of the year. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »

(Baltimore, MD) -- (March 24, 2017) --  Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) remains the major annual event of the comic book industry as over 2,300 comic book specialty retailers worldwide prepare to give away over 5.7 million comics on the first Saturday in May. This year's event takes place at local comic shops on Saturday, May 6th--fans are encouraged to visit FCBD's official store locator to find their participating local comic shop.

"Free Comic Book Day is shaping up to be quite an event," said FCBD spokesperson Michael Moccio. "With such a broad range of titles this year tying into major properties like Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman, Rick & Morty, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, new and existing fans alike will find something they'll want to keep up with throughout 2017."

Dark Horse Comics, DC Entertainment, IDW Publishing, Image Comics, and Marvel Comics are among the 37 publishers offering 50 exclusive comic book titles and editions for Free Comic Book Day 2017. After 16 years, Free Comic Book Day continues to appeal to a broad range of readers, making it a wonderful event for fans of all ages to explore what their local comic book shop has to offer. From superheroes, to adaptations of television and video games, to fan favorite icons, there's something for everyone on Free Comic Book Day.

For more FCBD news and updates and to see a preview of all 50 free comics available on Saturday, May 6th, visit the FCBD website at visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and become a fan on Facebook at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, follow us on Twitter at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, or Instagram at freecomicbookday.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
MAGGIE'S WORLD BY MAGGIE THOMPSON Maggie’s World 050: Free

Maggie Thompson gets us ready for Free Comic Book Day next month with a look back at free comics in the past.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Marvel is proud to announce that on Friday, May 5th, as part of the excitement surrounding this year’s Free Comic Book Day and the launch of Secret Empire, Marvel Comics will make a very special appearance on ABC’s “Good Morning America” to spotlight all the fun that will be made available within participating nationwide comic shops on Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 6th. To find a participating comic shop near you visit freecomicbookday.com.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
I'm in for this on FCBD! 8)

The creative team behind SECRET EMPIRE talks about what to expect from the Marvel comic event of the summer! Don’t miss an original 10-page Secret Empire story available on Free Comic Book Day (May 6th).