By: Alyssa and DRWHO42
As many of us are digesting the recently released SDCC schedule and planning our con week there is some interesting programs on this week to take dig into. This Sunday we will be treated to more Olympic Trials and also the second season marathon of The Walking Dead on AMC. The much-anticipated return off Mr. Robot is Wednesday airing after the season premiere of Suits. There is also a new entry on Netflix titled Stranger Things which might be worth checking out.
New: Mr. Robot, Pre-Olympic programming
On-going: Outcast, & Preacher
Binge: Firing up the Netflix!
New/Returning: Mr. Robot
Ongoing: Preacher, BrainDead, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Last Ship
Still Binging: Gotham <yes– I am that far behind.
Notable shows are highlighted in red.
Sunday – July 10, 2016
- NBC Sports Special: US Olympic Trials: Track & Field [90-minute special presentation]
- SHOWTIME The Circus: Inside the greatest political show on earth (#114) [1st season summer premiere]
- DISNEY Bizaardvark: Draw my life [time slot premiere]
- NBC Sports Special: US Olympic Trials: Gymnastics [150-minute special presentation]
- PBS Endeavour (#4632) [3rd Season Finale]
- HBO The Night Of: The Beach (#01/101-90) [90-minute series premiere]
Pakistani-American college student Nasir “Naz” Khan, who lives with his parents in Queens, NY, takes his father’s taxi to go a party in Manhattan. But what starts as a perfect night for Naz becomes a nightmare when he’s arrested for murder. Created by Steven Zaillian (“Schindler’s List,” “American Gangster”) and Richard Price (“The Color of Money,” HBO’s “The Wire”), the eight-part HBO limited series production THE NIGHT OF debuts SUNDAY, JULY 10 (9:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), followed by hour-long episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time, exclusively on HBO. The show is also available on HBO NOW, HBO GO and HBO On Demand. Starring John Turturro (“Fading Gigolo,” “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”) and Riz Ahmed (“Nightcrawler”), and directed by Zaillian (7 episodes) and James Marsh (1 episode), from teleplays by Price and Zaillian, the show delves into the intricacies of a complex New York City murder case with cultural and political overtones. The story examines the police investigation, the legal proceedings, the criminal justice system and Rikers Island, where the accused await trial. “It’s a crime story, a police story, a legal story, a corrections story,” observes Zaillian. “You make a story about all that, tell it honestly, and it will naturally be a social story.” For more info click here
Monday – July 11, 2016
12:15 AM ADULT SWIM Brad Neely’s Harg Nallin’ Sclopio Peepio (#101) [Series Premiere]
Brad Neely’s Harg Nallin’ Sclopio Peepio is a new quarter-hour animated sketch show created by Neely that features a collection of frenetic one-off bits, shorts, and songs, all filtered through Neely’s signature visual style. Beware, however, as this show hates you. Neely and Daniel Weidenfeld serve as executive producers, Dave Newberg as co-executive producer, with Titmouse, Inc. producing. Click for more info
Tuesday – July 12, 2016
- FOX MLB Special: 87th Annual Major League Baseball All-star Game
- NBC Maya & Marty: Episode 6 (#106) [1st Season Finale]
- ABC To Tell The Truth: Daymond John (#106) [1st Season Finale]
Wednesday – July 13, 2016
- ABC 2016 Espy Awards [3-hour Special Presentation]
- CW Penn & Teller: Fool Us: Won’t Get Fooled Again… ? (#304) [3rd Season Premiere]
- PBS Supernature: Wild Flyers (#103) [1st season finale]
- USA Suits (#601) [6th Season Premiere]
- CW Whose Line Is It Anyway?: Jeff Davis 5 [new time slot]
- USA Mr. Robot (#201) [2nd Season Premiere]
- SUNDANCE The A-word (#101) [Series Premiere]
Riveting international drama series “The A Word” will premiere for American audiences on Wednesday, July 13th at 10/9c on SundanceTV. The six-episode, one-hour drama captures an authentic portrait of one multi-generational family after their young son is diagnosed with autism. The series is a co-production partnership with Keshet International. SundanceTV is the first broadcaster outside the UK to air the series. Simultaneously dramatic and heartwarming, thought-provoking and lighthearted, “The A Word” follows 5-year-old Joe (Max Vento); Joe’s parents, Paul (Lee Ingleby, “Our Zoo,” “Inspector George Gently”) and Alison (Morven Christie, “Grantchester”), who struggle with parenting philosophies; his aunt and uncle, Nicola (Vinette Robinson, “Sherlock”) and Steve (Greg McHugh, “Fresh Meat”), who are working through unfaithfulness in their marriage; and his grandfather, Maurice (Chris Eccleston, “The Leftovers,” “Fortitude”), a recent widower and the owner of the family brewery. Click for more info
10:30 PM A&E Black And White [Series Premiere]
“Black And White” is a provocative weekly in-studio show that tackles the third rail of both comedy and politics: Race. Hosted by Christian Finnegan and Sherrod Small, this new series covers the biggest headlines sweeping the nation through the fresh and hilarious points of views of these comedians and longtime friends. “Black And White” is a smart, funny and honest conversation about race in America. The show tackles current and relevant stories in the news through the prism of race and uses comedy to diffuse the tension. Utilizing sketch, parody and social experiments, this series shines a light on the state of race in our country. Joined by celebrity guests and commentators, our hosts take on the issues of race in this eight episode studio based comedy show. Hosts, Christian Finnegan and Sherrod Small have been fixtures on the stand-up comedy scene for over a decade and are best known for their off-the-cuff commentary which has been featured on numerous series and talk shows over the years.
Friday, July 15, 2016
- HULU East Los High: Complete Fourth Season (#401-412) [4th Season Premiere]
- AMAZON Gortimer Gibbon’s Life On Normal Street: episodes 14-26 (#214-226) [2nd Season Finale]
- NETFLIX Stranger Things: Complete First Season (#101-108) [Series Premiere]
The new drama series written and directed by Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer (Wayward Pines, Hidden) consists of eight, one-hour long episodes. In the series, a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family, and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces, and one very strange little girl. The series, set in Indiana, is a love letter to the ’80s classics that captivated a generation. Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder (Show Me a Hero), David Harbour (Suicide Squad), Finn Wolfhard (The 100, Aftermath, The Resurrection), Millie Brown (BBC’s Intruders,Once Upon A Time, NCIS), Gaten Matarazzo (The Blacklist), Caleb McLaughlin (The Lion Kingon Broadway), Noah Schnapp (Bridge of Spies, The Peanuts Movie), Natalia Dyer (After Darkness, Hannah Montana: The Movie), Charlie Heaton (Shut In, Urban and the Shed Crew), and Matthew Modine (Weeds, Proof). The Duffer Brothers are writing, directing and showrunning the series, and will serve as executive producers along with Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen via their 21 Laps entertainment banner (The Spectacular Now, Night At The Museum, Real Steel, Date Night). Stranger Things is a Netflix production.
- ABC Secrets of The Force Awakens: A cinematic journey [1-hour special presentation] Click for more info
Saturday, July 16, 2016
- NBC Sports Special: Nitro Circus [3-hour special presentation]
- FOX Premier Boxing Champions Special: Premier Boxing Champions [2-hour special presentation]