By Mario Wario
Monday was Sony’s first ever “State of Play” PlayStation online broadcast that aired on Twitch, as well as on social media such as Twitter. Sony gave gamers a taste of things to come for the PlayStation 4, and for the PlayStation VR headset.
The presentation began with the announcement of a new PlayStation VR game titled Iron Man VR, which will allow gamers to play as their favorite red/gold Avenger in first-person (the game’s trailer can be seen below). The developer is Camouflaj and the game is scheduled to come out sometime this year. As someone who has the PSVR headset, this new game looks fun to play, so I will definitely be checking it out. Of course, I am hoping that there will also be a Spider-Man VR game released very soon! It doesn’t hurt to dream, right?
Next up was Beenox’s Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, which showed off remastered content from the original (the trailer is below). The new game is scheduled to be out on June 21, 2019 for the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. Lastly, according to Variety, the game will be playable at PAX East 2019 (March 28-31; Boston, Massachusetts) at the Sony booth, so check it out if you are heading there.
Here are the rest of the release announcements for the PS4:
- No Man’s Sky Beyond (Free Update With PSVR Support; Summer 2019)
- ReadySet Heroes (Dungeon Crawler Game That is set for 2019; Only on the PS4)
- Blood & Truth (PSVR; May 28, 2019)
- Mini-Mech Mayhem (PSVR; June 18, 2019)
- Jupiter & Mars (PSVR; April 22, 2019)
- Falcon Age (PSVR; April 9, 2019)
- Trover Saves the Universe (PSVR; May 31st, 2019)
- Everybody’s Gold VR (PSVR; Mar 21, 2019)
- Table of Tales (PSVR; April 19, 2019)
- Vacation Simulator (PSVR; June 18, 2019)
- Observation (PSVR support; May 21, 2019)
- Five Nights at Freddy’s VR: Help Wanted (PSVR; Spring 2019)
- Concrete Genie (PSRV Support; Fall 2019)
- Days Gone story trailer/gameplay (The Game will be out on April 26, 2019, for PS4 only)
Finally, Mortal Kombat 11 closed out the presentation by showcasing the game’s upcoming roster, as well as its gameplay. It was announced last week that Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who played Shang Tsung in the first Mortal Kombat film, will be reprising his role for the game. The full game will be released on April 23, 2019, for the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Windows PC, and Xbox One.
As for the first “State of Play” presentation, I thought that it went well. It definitely borrowed certain elements from what Nintendo does with its online broadcasts, but I did like the presentation as a whole. It was on point (showing the games) as well as having a simple and clean layout that was easy to follow. Of course, I would have loved to have seen something new to conclude this presentation after such a strong start, but there are more broadcasts incoming this year, so there is something to anticipate in the future. Regardless, for PSVR fans like me, the future does look really bright! (If you want to watch the entire “State of Play” presentation, click here.)
Have something to say regarding today’s PlayStation news? If so, please post away when visiting the FoCC forums!