With San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) 2020 canceled, I sometimes reflect how I will miss visiting one of my favorite booths on the exhibit hall floor, or just being at SDCC to hear the latest and exciting news from DC and WB television and movies. Thankfully, DC and WB are doing something about that virtually!
I am happy to report that DC has announced exciting plans to fill the void with an immersive virtual fan experience called DC FanDome. This FREE event will kick off at 7 a.m. EDT / 10 a.m. PDT on Saturday, August 22, so mark those calendars now!
DC FanDome is geared to celebrate DC’s past, present, and future plans which certainly would fill the Hall of Justice to capacity. The lineup will cover film and television, including Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders, and Wonder Woman 1984 (scheduled to be released in theaters worldwide this fall). And don’t worry DC comic book and game fans, both will also be part of this online event.
The virtual landscape itself will be available in several languages including Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. In addition, the programming content will be tailored for a wide range of ages from children to adults making this an event for the whole family.
Here is a rundown of the lineup and content (as announced by DC):
Hall of Heroes
The epicenter of the DC FanDome is the Hall of Heroes, where you can experience special programming, panels and content reveals from a wide variety of films, TV series and games.
From there, navigate deeper into the DC Multiverse, exploring five additional satellite worlds, each with its own localized content and unique activities and one world fully devoted to younger fans:
- DC WatchVerse: Here’s where you grab a seat, sit back and join our virtual audience and become completely engrossed in hours of must-see content from around the world. Everything from panels and exclusive screenings to never-before-seen footage, featuring cast, creators and behind-the-scenes crew from across DC Films, TV, Home Entertainment and Games.
- DC YouVerse: Venture into this world where the FANS are the stars to see the most amazing user-generated content, cosplay and fan art from around the world, including, perhaps, your own.
- DC KidsVerse: Need a way to entertain your kids for hours on end? We’ve got you covered inside a special world, which can be accessed directly at DC Kids FanDome.Com. This area features a broad range of family-friendly activations for our younger fans.
- DC InsiderVerse: This creativity-based world contains a centerpiece video featuring legendary artist and DC CCO/Publisher Jim Lee, President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada, and creator of the DC TV Arrowverse, Executive Producer Greg Berlanti, welcoming fans with a 101-style introduction to the DC Multiverse. From there, go behind the scenes with the master artisans who bring DC to life in all its forms, from comic books to games, TV, movies, theme parks, consumer products and more.
- DC FunVerse: Take your DC FanDome experience and gather cool shareables; check out our comic book reader; DIY cool WW84 Golden Armor and Batmobile kits; plus digital giveaways and a store filled with merchandise, including some limited-edition exclusives.
Pull Up to the Blerd & Boujee House
Where my Blerds at? The second annual celebration of Black nerd culture returns with the all-new Blerd & Boujee House at DC FanDome, bringing Blerds, LatinxGeeks and all nerds “party-with-a-purpose” vibes. As anyone lucky enough to get into the first-ever Blerd & Boujee boat party (featuring DJ D-Nice) at San Diego Comic-Con 2019 can attest, fans will not want to miss connections and conversations designed for the culture.
Calling All Fans!
There’s nothing more important to DC than our fans, and we want to showcase you! In partnership with Talenthouse, DC FanDome today launched a call for your best DC Fan Art & Fandom displays. Show us your cosplay, makeup, tattoos and even your own Batcave! Be sure to submit your best at create.DCFanDome.com for a chance to be featured inside this virtual world event, and demonstrate to people in your home country and across the globe that you are the ultimate DC Super Fan. Selected artists on the day of our event will be voted on by the community in each of our two competitions in order to help our judges pick selected artist winners. Selected artist winners will receive part of a cash prize pool courtesy of DC and Talenthouse.*
*Each competition is subject to its official rules available at create.DCFanDome.com, which include eligibility and entry requirements, judging criteria, and an explanation of how sponsors may use your submission
Be sure to check the FanDome website, DCFanDome.com, frequently for additional updates on what will be happening inside the DC FanDome, including exciting new content on their new blog, the Daily Star, which kicks off with a welcoming note from Jim Lee himself.
Lastly, follow the social channels below for frequent updates about participating cast members, creators, writers, artists, and game developers you can expect to see.
This is certainly exciting news and I am certainly looking forward to checking this event out this August!
What do you think of this announcement? Join the conversation on the FoCC Forum.