Dragon Con Goes Virtual is the online streaming alternative to attending Dragon Con (September 2-6, 2021) in person. The virtual, streaming alternative allows fans to control how they want to participate in Dragon Con, now in its 35th year.
The subscribers to this year’s Dragon Con Goes Virtual will be able to see five days of start-to-finish convention coverage! This comprehensive coverage will include both live and recorded panels that will feature the best-known and most popular guests from the live convention, as well events such as Thursday Night Wrestling, the Friday Night Costume Contest, and the Masquerade Costume Contest (the queen of the costume competitions).
Dragon Con Goes Virtual will also include exclusive fan panels and creator interviews that Dragon Con will only make available on the streaming platform, as well as access to a selection of Dragon Con’s library of panels recorded in past years.
Dragon Con also will have chat rooms and fan discussions on the official Dragon Con Discord server. This will be home to round-the-clock role-playing games and Jackbox party games. The virtual Vendor Hall, Art Show, and Comic & Pop Artist Alley will once again be held on Eventeny.
Here is a sampling of the events included in the Dragon Con Goes Virtual membership:
- An interview with Robert Silverberg, prolific science fiction writer, a multiple Hugo and Nebula award winner, a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame, and a Grand Master of Science Fiction.
- Author and game writer Graham McNeill and comic book writer and novelist Dan Abnett discuss their careers and the growth of LitRPG with Van Allen Plexico.
- A virtual party DJ’d by Literary Guest of Honor John Scalzi. An energetic writer of bestselling science fiction novels and the popular Whatever blog, DJ Scalzi’s set at the turntables was one of the most talked-about Dragon Con Goes Virtual events in 2020.
Most fan tracks will provide two pre-recorded panels that will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. each day of the convention, while repeats of popular panels from past conventions will air during the overnight hours. These panels include:
- Experts in physics and biology deconstruct the action sequences in F9, the latest chapter in the Fast & Furious film franchise, for the science track.
- Puppetry’s beloved Sci-Fi Janitors Bob and Carl gather their puppet friends for an uproarious game of Ultimate Werewolf.
- Artist and teacher Shawn Durington teaches a group of youth to draw R2D2 and other beloved characters from favorite stories.
- A trio of New York Times bestselling authors Kevin J. Anderson, Jonathan Maberry, and Faith Hunter talk about their craft.
Dragon Con via Dragon Con Goes Virtual is what every major international convention should consider doing in the future. It allows those who cannot attend, for whatever reason, the ability to be a part of the celebration of pop culture. One can only hope that this virtual version of the event continues and that other conventions join in providing this kind of virtual access to their events.