Dragon Con (September 2-6, 2021) is famous for its iconic Labor Day Parade which features some of the best cosplay in fandom, but hardcore gamers also know that this con is the place to be. In an area that encompasses more than 140,000 square feet in AmericasMart Building One and the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel, gamers at Dragon Con will experience the full array of gaming. This includes PC and console games, board games, miniatures gaming, role-playing games, collectible card games, and even LARP games!
Gaming begins at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 2, and will remain open through 5 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 6. Gaming in AmericasMart will close from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. each day for cleaning. But gamers don’t despair! The die will continue to roll 24 hours a day because tabletop gaming – miniatures, card games, pen & paper games, campaign RPGs, and board games will move to the Westin’s Savannah Ballroom for those six hours.
In prior years, these gaming marathons were located on a single floor in AmericasMart. But due to renovations in the building, gaming will now be located on two floors.
Here are more details about the gaming activities at Dragon Con:
- There will be panel discussions and other programming with game designers to help gamers understand the finer points of creating and playing the games they love, as well as voice actors to get to know the people behind well-known video game characters. Popular parties, such as the Heroes & Villains Ball and the 8-Bit Bash, offer gamers and other fans a chance to take a break from the tables.
- Influential game designer Steve Jackson, Start Playing Games co-founder Devon Chulick, and voice actors from Overwatch, Mass Effect, and other popular video games, lead an all-star roster of gaming guests at this year’s convention, where they will meet with fans and lead panel discussions.
- Joystick Game Bar will hold an American arcade experience with tons of favorite cabinet games at 161 Peachtree Center Ave NE, from 10 a.m. to 4 a.m. each day. The cabinet games will be free to play for Dragon Con members, but a $10 cover is required for non-members.
- Jackson, creator of both the role-playing game GURPS and the mega-popular card game Munchkin, will take part in several panels to discuss the finer points of his games, as well as game design. He will also lead, along with Mayfair Games founder Bill Fawcett, a two-day hands-on workshop on designing games.
- Chulick, in addition to leading panel discussions, will run a live-streamed game of Dungeons & Dragons on YouTube. Chulick’s website, Start Playing Games, is the highest-grossing pay-for-play tabletop gaming site on the internet.
- Other live-streamed role-playing games include a game of D&D led by the podcasters from Dungeons & Randomness, which will run on YouTube, while fans of horror games can tune into The Horror Experiment Live on YouTube and Twitch for live-streamed horror games.
This year’s Dragon Con, while smaller, still promises to be as fun and exciting as previous Dragon Cons!