Author Topic: Oscars 2020  (Read 1322 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Oscars 2020
« on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
A list of nominees can be found here (and a billion other places, but why not use the Industry standard): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Good year for genre films, with JOKER having the most nominations of any film!  2019, IMO, was an OUTSTANDING year for film: maybe the first (only?) year where I truly wish the "Best Director" category had similar capacity as "Best Picture" and the Academy could nominate up to 10 Directors for their top award.  I would've loved to see Greta Gerwig nominated for LITTLE WOMEN but don't think at the expense of the other 5 (also would've loved for Taika Waititi but at least he got a 'Best Adapted Screenplay' nomination).  Even with up to 10 film nominations (and "only" nine nominees this year instead of possible 10), I think there were several films that could've been nominated.

BUT, it all comes down to not-that-simple math so whatevs.  I'll be curious to see just  how many Oscars a comic book film walks away from, and while I'm usually pretty keen on frontrunners/favorites I don't think there is one just yet (the Golden Globes typically don't mean much as far as Oscar predictors, as they're not given out by anyone that has a vote in the Academy, vs the Guilds & Unions that have huge bleed-over to the Oscars).  Once the Director's Guild Association awards are given out we'll have a good sense of who will win Best Director; Screen Actors Guild will gives us a great predictor of the acting nominees.

What do you all think?!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Oscars 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:56 AM »
i haven't looked at the list yet *but* i was thrilled to see Parasite get co-winner for best director at the critics award last nite  ;)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:33:49 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i haven't looked at the list yet *but* i was thrilled to see Parasite get co-winner for best director at the critics award last nite  ;)
While I think PARASITE is the film that historically has had the best chance of winning Best Picture as a Foreign Language film, I don't quite think it'll win in this crazy-strong year of film!  There's no way it won't win Best Foreign Language Film, at least.  I'm incredibly curious to see who the DGA gives their prize to: I think Best Director could be wide-open (though Sam Mendes' technical master work on 1917 seems like the strongest contender at this point - at least the one I'd bet on if I was forced to).

Movies I loved this year that seemingly had no room for Oscar noms:

* DOLEMITE IS MY NAME - thought Eddie Murphy was a virtual shoo-in for his work in this movie.  I also loved the script about blaxpoitation (and rap) legend Rudy Ray Moore.  The movie is edgy language-wise, no doubt, but the story of 1) African Americans looking to make a film that speaks/includes them and 2) the behind-the-scenes look at "group of friends get together, scrape money to fund and make their 'dream' movie that goes on to wild success" all felt like the type of movie The Academy would get behind.  I know The Academy is no fan of Murphy (who called out The Academy's racism back in 1988, the year BEFORE The Academy snubbed DO THE RIGHT THING and awarded DRIVING MISS DAISY), and there might be long-time bad blood against him still.

* KNIVES OUT - was nominated for Best Screenplay: deservedly.  But the comedy showed us once again that The Academy has a bias against the genre, and I think more people viewed it as haha funny instead of a legit murder-mystery.  I would've liked to have seen this for Best Picture & maybe Director.  Screenplay is huge, though, and I'm happy for fellow-nerd Rian Johnson for the nomination!

* UNCUT GEMS - I get why this controversial movie didn't wrack up Director/Picture/screenplay nods.  But I thought the WAAAAAAY against type job Adam Sandler portrayed would've been recognized.  I think if this film didn't get Academy recognition, likely nothing Sander does ever will

* US - I think Lupita Nyong'o was INCREDIBLE, and I thought she turned in a nuanced (double) portrayal that might've broken the barrier the Academy has against horror films (SILENCE OF THE LAMBS aside).  I'm not surprised she didn't get nominated, but I was hoping for the black horse nod.

I'm so over talk of "snubs" and dopey junk like that.  I've literally voted on the Academy Awards before (and SAG!) due to people I've known over the years who were members, and I feel like I know just how much at least a portion of the voters care (or, bluntly, really don't - I've known voters who vote out of spite, vote only for friends or people they want to be friends with, etc. - it's so similar to HS popularity contests you suspect it is and not necessarily the big, prestigious important thing a lot believe) about this type of thing.  It does impact people's careers, marketing departments selling films, etc so they matter to an extent.  But the vast majority of voting members know they'll likely never come close to winning an Oscar and vote accordingly.  So I'm not crying fowl or whatnot: I'm just stating some of the movies or performances I really appreciate that math just kept out of nominations.

BIGGEST oversight every year, though:
NO ACADEMY AWARDS FOR STUNTS!!! 
I think that is the most egregious Academy miss on an annual basis and doesn't seem to be on its way to being corrected anytime soon  :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:03:32 PM by perc2100 »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »

BIGGEST oversight every year, though:
NO ACADEMY AWARDS FOR STUNTS!!! 
I think that is the most egregious Academy miss on an annual basis and doesn't seem to be on its way to being corrected anytime soon  :(

I could really care less what they pick, but I still watch.  I just am not invested enough to care that they didn't pick Evil Dead II, again.  Which clearly should be nominated and win every year.  Bruce Campbell for best actor!!!!!   :P

(Serious NCDS) I do agree with you on the stunt part. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
  I just am not invested enough to care that they didn't pick Evil Dead II, again.  Which clearly should be nominated and win every year.  Bruce Campbell for best actor!!!!!   :P

Wrong and wrong. Everyone knows that it is Army of Darkness that rules the roost.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
Wrong and wrong. Everyone knows that it is Army of Darkness that rules the roost.

People who think that are plain wrong  ???  Evil Dead II for the win ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
I could really care less what they pick, but I still watch.  I just am not invested enough to care that they didn't pick Evil Dead II, again.  Which clearly should be nominated and win every year.  Bruce Campbell for best actor!!!!!   :P

(Serious NCDS) I do agree with you on the stunt part.
I would be OK living in a universe that's on an annual loop that delivers Bruce Campbell delivering a Best Actor winning speech at the Oscars!  It's funny that the few times I've met him he seems incredibly shy (when he's not playing up his 'character' version of himself).  I met him years ago at Comic-Con when he was doing a book signing for "If Chins Could Kill," which I had already read and knew he wasn't a big fan of autographs.  I chatted a little bit about some of his roles to loosen him up a bit, and he signed my book; I looked at him a bit sheepishly and he kind of sighed and said, "OK: which line do you want from me?"  I half-embarrassingly said, "Hail to the king baby?" and he delivered exactly as I requested it (nervously and timid).  I gave him a surprised look, and he said, "come on: you have SELL that line, baby!" and he proceeded to give me some tips on how to deliver the line like him.  After a few tries of me attempting to be even a fraction of a badass as Ashley, Bruce finally delivered the line with the cool confidence we all know and love.  The line behind proceeded to cheer and Bruce demand I took a bow as well.  Bruce made a comment like, "not bad for a man w/out a great chin" or something.

Great guy who _really_ knows how to appreciate his fans and work the crowds!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
I would be OK living in a universe that's on an annual loop that delivers Bruce Campbell delivering a Best Actor winning speech at the Oscars!  It's funny that the few times I've met him he seems incredibly shy (when he's not playing up his 'character' version of himself).  I met him years ago at Comic-Con when he was doing a book signing for "If Chins Could Kill," which I had already read and knew he wasn't a big fan of autographs.  I chatted a little bit about some of his roles to loosen him up a bit, and he signed my book; I looked at him a bit sheepishly and he kind of sighed and said, "OK: which line do you want from me?"  I half-embarrassingly said, "Hail to the king baby?" and he delivered exactly as I requested it (nervously and timid).  I gave him a surprised look, and he said, "come on: you have SELL that line, baby!" and he proceeded to give me some tips on how to deliver the line like him.  After a few tries of me attempting to be even a fraction of a badass as Ashley, Bruce finally delivered the line with the cool confidence we all know and love.  The line behind proceeded to cheer and Bruce demand I took a bow as well.  Bruce made a comment like, "not bad for a man w/out a great chin" or something.

Great guy who _really_ knows how to appreciate his fans and work the crowds!

What a great story!  I met him on that book tour also but I was too nervous and jumbled it.   Don't worry though I have been making up for it ever since!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
People who think that are plain wrong  ???  Evil Dead II for the win ;)

You are insane. Are you even hilarious any longer? I can't believe that we are friends. Army of Darkness forevermore!

At least we can agree on Grandpa Bruce being best actor. ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 07:11:36 PM »
You are insane. Are you even hilarious any longer? I can't believe that we are friends. Army of Darkness forevermore!

At least we can agree on Grandpa Bruce being best actor. ;)
I think it all depends on your disposition: hard corps horror fans tend to sway towards EVIL DEAD 2; action/comedy fans tend to lean towards ARMY OF DARKNESS.  BOTH are flat-out masterpieces on a level above most other films.

Question for ya about ARMY OF DARKNESS.  Which ending do you prefer: the theatrical or Raimi's original, darker ending?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 07:15:46 PM »
Question for ya about ARMY OF DARKNESS.  Which ending do you prefer: the theatrical or Raimi's original, darker ending?

Both are fun, but I prefer the original ending. I love the way they paid homage to it at the end of Ash vs, Evil Dead.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 10:07:58 PM »

I always loved the darker ending but if we go by that I don't get 3 seasons of Ash vs the Evil Dead, so by default the theatrical.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 11:29:37 PM »
I always loved the darker ending but if we go by that I don't get 3 seasons of Ash vs the Evil Dead, so by default the theatrical.

Oh please, you’re talking about a show with time travel consistency holes the size of Texas. They could still have done the show after the darker ending... ;)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »
Oh please, you’re talking about a show with time travel consistency holes the size of Texas. They could still have done the show after the darker ending... ;)

True just insert one line about how he got back and done.