Author Topic: NYCC 2015 Meet up  (Read 17036 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: NYCC 2015 Meet up
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23:07 AM »

if you give the breakfast meet up a try again you will.  remember upstairs & failing that ask teh wait staff
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was wearing my FOCCI lanyard all weekend but didn't even find anyone else wearing these things

If it helps, last year I ran into people wearing the lanyards in the elevator at the MMM, and at Nerd HQ, lining up for a panel. But the year before, I didn't see anyone else with a FoCCI lanyard.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:50:27 PM »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
Any night is fine.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
I'm in!  Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:50 AM »
ok-

i am not good at organizing these meet ups-  do we have any takers to step up & get folks organized?

I can do the sunday nite post con, meet up at the skyline diner but frankly that's about all i can do.

while a meet up out side the con is fun.  it's also nice to meet up at the con,  say noon at the starbucks <---example.  These really can be organized until the sched comes out tho
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:11 AM »
I would, but I have no idea about the area. Are there any restaurants close by (walking distance from convention center) that would take a group?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
So.... no one else has volunteered, so I guess it's up to me. You get what you pay for, guys, so I'll do my best, but you've been warned...  >:D

Okay, given that this poll was done before we knew about the TWD thing on Friday night, I am guessing that Saturday night is the best for a meetup (barring other major events being announced).

Keep in mind that I've visited NYC a number of times as a tourist, but I'm not at all familiar with this area. I have studied Google maps, reviews, pictures, and looked on Opentable. From what I can tell, anyplace that would take reservations/group bookings is likely going to be pricey. The best option I came up with was the IGK (International Gourmet Kitchen).

They have a wide variety of food (soup/salad/sandwich, burgers, pasta, Mexican, Asian) at a reasonable price, and you can order in advance online. So we could just meet up there, with everyone ordering on their own.

The location is on 35th, near 8th, so it's a straight shot walk down 35th from Javitz (about 14 minutes) and is very close to Penn Station.

Would this work for people?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:58:09 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
I edited my vote, for me sunday works better...
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
I edited my vote, for me sunday works better...

I believe Alyssa said she was hosting a Sunday night dinner at the Skyline Diner.

I can do the sunday nite post con, meet up at the skyline diner but frankly that's about all i can do.

So this would be in addition to that.

If people are fine with just Sunday night, that's OK too.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
I'm out of the country late September until October 6th or I would absolutely love to host/coordinate a dinner.  Sorry!

We would be available Saturday and/or Sunday for dinner, and we will have 3 or 4 to add to the group. 

What about a drink and TWD discussion after the premier on Friday?  If anyone is interested I can look into it.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
So.... no one else has volunteered, so I guess it's up to me. You get what you pay for, guys, so I'll do my best, but you've been warned...  >:D

Okay, given that this poll was done before we knew about the TWD thing on Friday night, I am guessing that Saturday night is the best for a meetup (barring other major events being announced).

Keep in mind that I've visited NYC a number of times as a tourist, but I'm not at all familiar with this area. I have studied Google maps, reviews, pictures, and looked on Opentable. From what I can tell, anyplace that would take reservations/group bookings is likely going to be pricey. The best option I came up with was the IGK (International Gourmet Kitchen).

They have a wide variety of food (soup/salad/sandwich, burgers, pasta, Mexican, Asian) at a reasonable price, and you can order in advance online. So we could just meet up there, with everyone ordering on their own.

The location is on 35th, near 8th, so it's a straight shot walk down 35th from Javitz (about 14 minutes) and is very close to Penn Station.

Would this work for people?

Hi, I know this area because I used to work about a block from there.  IGK isn't what you might suspect.  It's more of a lunch place.  They have different stations for different types of food(sandwiches, custom salads, past, etc.)  and I think they have a big buffet where you pay by the weight of the food you pick.  Most people get take-out to carry back to their offices or they sit at a counter to eat.  We have tons of places like this in the city that cater to lunch crowds.  They aren't really "sit down and socialize" places and this isn't either.

If you want me to suggest something, I can case out the area because I don't get there as often as I used to.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
I'm in for Saturday. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
Hi, I know this area because I used to work about a block from there.  IGK isn't what you might suspect.  It's more of a lunch place.  They have different stations for different types of food(sandwiches, custom salads, past, etc.)  and I think they have a big buffet where you pay by the weight of the food you pick.  Most people get take-out to carry back to their offices or they sit at a counter to eat.  We have tons of places like this in the city that cater to lunch crowds.  They aren't really "sit down and socialize" places and this isn't either.

If you want me to suggest something, I can case out the area because I don't get there as often as I used to.

Hmmm, I checked and they're open until 11 pm, and say that they have an entire floor of 'dining area' upstairs. But given that I've never been there, I'll defer to your knowledge.

This was my entire reluctance to host something: that I did not know the area or the places there. If you have anotehr suggestion, I would appreciate it.

TardisMom, I don't drink, but I was thinking of hitting a place with slices of 'authentic New York pizza' on the way back to my hotel after the TWD premiere... ;)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
TardisMom, I don't drink, but I was thinking of hitting a place with slices of 'authentic New York pizza' on the way back to my hotel after the TWD premiere... ;)
What about a drink and TWD discussion after the premier on Friday?  If anyone is interested I can look into it.

Let me see if i can find a place for Friday night, drinks & pizza?

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
Also, in terms of Saturday night, the New York Rangers have their home opener at Madison Square Garden that night, so I imagine places around there will be extra packed that night before 7:00.