Author Topic: WATCHMEN series (spoilers)  (Read 4671 times)

Offline sorb3t

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
Re: WATCHMEN series (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
I never imagined a worthy follow-up to Watchmen could be possible, but this is about as close as I think anything will get. I also never imagined that Damon Lindeloff would be the one to do it. I had kinda lost faith in him. I definitely want more, but I hope they wait to tell the right story and don't just rush it, or else we'll end up with Season 2 of True Detective. It was clear they took their time writing this, and they were very respectful to the source material in my opinion. Still in awe that they pulled this off. Kudos, and thanks for a great show!

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 06:15:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I never imagined a worthy follow-up to Watchmen could be possible, but this is about as close as I think anything will get. I also never imagined that Damon Lindeloff would be the one to do it. I had kinda lost faith in him. I definitely want more, but I hope they wait to tell the right story and don't just rush it, or else we'll end up with Season 2 of True Detective. It was clear they took their time writing this, and they were very respectful to the source material in my opinion. Still in awe that they pulled this off. Kudos, and thanks for a great show!
How did you lose faith in Damon Lindeloff?  Best writer on Lost, followed up by Left Overs which was a top 10 show of the last decade....

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:47:00 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How did you lose faith in Damon Lindeloff?  Best writer on Lost, followed up by Left Overs which was a top 10 show of the last decade....
I know Lindeloff more for his film writing than TV writing (I never got into Lost and I couldn't get through the first season of Leftovers, myself).  His film writing credits:
* TOMORROWLAND - good potential, bad script
* WORLD WAR Z - unconventional book for sure, but the script ignored almost all of the good parts for a dopey all-the-cliches action film mess
* STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - HORRIBLE on so many levels; like, a good cast and goodwill from the first film completely squandered by an incredibly bad script (that, to be fair, many aspects likely came from co-writer Orci)
* PROMETHEUS - the best ideas from this screenplay came from drafts before Lindeloff was hired; the shooting script was a steaming mess

Now, knowing how films are made I understand that all of the above are huge budget, tent-pole big studio films & that means there are MANY people responsible for the final product and shifting blame on the writer(s) isn't necessarily fair.  I also understand that something like "Leftovers" may be a much better example of Lindeloff's potential, since he was the showrunner/co-creator of the series, and a writer (likely guiding the writing room, as show runners do).  I do plan on revisiting that series, and have heard that the other seasons were MUCH better.  I'll say personally, I was of the same mindset as sorb3t about my hopes not only for a followup but specifically a followup from Lindeloff being good, let alone great, were not high & I have a new respect for Lindeloff after the series.  I look forward to revisiting "Leftovers" with a different critical mindset (one of optimism due to respect of the creative mind, rather than one more geared towards criticism due to lack of respect).

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Tomorrow Land - I'm one of the few that liked this....but also would say that Brad Bird would be more to blame if you didn't as he co-wrote and more importantly directed it.  So as the director he left out stuff he didn't like from the script (like the further explanation of Plus Ultra that ended up on the cutting room floors.)
World War Z - Damon was brought in to help rewrite the movie after it had been almost completely filmed....thats never a good sign.  But hard to shoot the person piecing together scraps.
Star Trek Into Darkness -I think this is for sure a too many hands in the pot problem.  Not taking the blame off Lindeloff, but looking at his other work this doesn't feel like a him problem.
Prometheus - No arguments there

But yes I would highly recommend checking out Left Overs if you liked Watchmen.  The first season is based on the book, the second/third do their own thing.  And it really shows how he can expand a universe past a book in a creative way.  And each season is almost a new show as it changes from season so much, which tells me he could do a good job with another season of Watchmen, without negating how good the first stands on its own.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
How exciting is it that "Watchmen" earned 11 Emmys last night?!  Now, I don't put a ton of stock into awards (funky trivia: I've known both members of both the MPAA & SAG, and have voted for both the Oscars & SAG Awards 'for' people - I say that not as a humble brag or anything, more to underscore that voting for 'best art' of any kind is a little silly on its face, and voting habits can vary WILDLY from sincere to spite to popularity contest to goofiness).  I _NEVER_ need a voting mass to tell me that art I enjoyed & appreciated is 'best.'  When I was a bit younger, 20 years ago or so, I used to watch The Oscars religously; nowadays I see it more as amusing & mostly disposable fodder.  I am generally happy for winners, and as a musician I will always appreciate those that are honored by their artistic peers for their craft.  If "Watchmen" won nothing I wouldn't be that upset or anything (again, it has zero impact on my life).
But it's always nice when some piece of art you really really enjoyed and admired is recognized for its greatness, and "Watchmen" won more Emmys than anything last night.

I'm OK with the series only being a one-and-done season (just as I wish "True Detective" would've kept that lightening in a bottle and only had its first brilliant season).  Of course, I never expected "Watchmen" to be a fraction as good as it is, so I'd be a little more interested in another season than I was the the last year or two when this was in development/production.

Maybe some folks hadn't watched "Watchmen" because they were dismissive of its "comic book"ness; maybe after making headlines for winning a bunch of stuff more people will give it a view.
A few quick stats:

* Trent Reznor and writing partner Atticus Ross are now just a Tony away from an EGOT - someone partner with this two to make a musical w/an interesting music book!
* how incredible is lead actress (Sister Night/Angela Abar) Regina King?  This is her body of work the last several years:
- 2015 Emmy winner for American Crime
- 2016 Emmy winner for American Crime
- 2018 Emmy winner for Seven Seconds
- 2019 Oscar winner for IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK
- 2020 Emmy winner for Watchmen
She's won a slew of other awards, and as I said above winning awards don't make a great actress: but it's a sign of her incredible talents that she's been recognized that many times (5/6 consecutive years winning the top award for her roles)!!

* Watchmen won more Emmys last night than Lost won over its entire run (Lost won 4 Emmys 6 seasons), though Lindelof did win an Emmy in 2005 for Best Drama Series