Author Topic: Winning cast signing lottery but not getting the signing.  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Winning cast signing lottery but not getting the signing.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »
A few years ago when I did The Simpsons signing, a rep told us they always give less winning tickets for that one b/c Matt Groening does a sketch for everyone and it takes a long time. Maybe this year they accidentally allotted it the same amount of winners as a conventional signing and didn't realize it?

I must say, it is a very special session and he does in fact talk to everyone and draws a nice large sketch for you. He told me he chooses the character based on your personality LOL. He drew Bart for me and Lisa for Jes.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 06:07:31 PM »
Before the lottery, was not getting a signing even though you "won" a signing an often occurrence? I never did many big signings and never any that I had to line up overnight for even a chance. I would think I'd be pretty upset if I was going for a WB signing before the lottery and won the one I wanted, only to be cut out by the talent/vendor/booth because of time constraints.

It happened to a friend back in 2014 (maybe 2015?) with Fox and Sons of Anarchy - they arrived late so not everyone who had a wristband got a poster.  However, Fox then gave everyone who missed out their choice of signing for the next day (without having to queue up overnight again).  That I imagine would be difficult now since all the wristbands have been allocated in advance.

Not having all main cast there etc would definitely happen; but I doubt you would have had signings cancelled when people already had tickets.  The simple fact being in most cases, tickets were given out day of, so in the case of Titans for example (again, I completely understand why they cancelled it), they knew earlier than the day of the signing, so under the "old system", they just wouldn't have had a draw for it.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 12:03:32 AM »

Offline kat_sydney

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
I did the Orville signing on Saturday. People there were talking about the Simpsons signing. One person claimed that she was first in standby for the Simpsons, so she saw the 'whole thing' happen from her place in line. Apparently Matt Groening is 'chatty' and the line was moving extremely slowly, so they ran out of time. The last 40 people with wristbands were not able to go through.

40? How many wristbands did they give out in the first place?
From Facebook, it sounded like about 10 people missed out (that was from one of the people who did miss out).

Offline Jason

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 06:41:54 AM »
It happened to a friend back in 2014 (maybe 2015?) with Fox and Sons of Anarchy - they arrived late so not everyone who had a wristband got a poster.  However, Fox then gave everyone who missed out their choice of signing for the next day (without having to queue up overnight again).  That I imagine would be difficult now since all the wristbands have been allocated in advance.

Not having all main cast there etc would definitely happen; but I doubt you would have had signings cancelled when people already had tickets.  The simple fact being in most cases, tickets were given out day of, so in the case of Titans for example (again, I completely understand why they cancelled it), they knew earlier than the day of the signing, so under the "old system", they just wouldn't have had a draw for it.

It was actually American Horror Story - and I know because I had a ticket for the signing and they took the first group of 20 or so and then the rest of us never moved, but we got to watch the cast get up and wave goodbye and leave. There is a Sons of Anarchy connection, though - that signing was always on Sunday so when they did let us come back the next day and pick a signing without needing to be part of the raffle, the majority of people picked SoA so the people in the raffle line were pretty upset. I had gotten SoA the year before so I picked The Strain.

I have been to other signings that have ended early or had people leave part way through, it's a pretty regular thing. I was cut off for Fringe at Fox one year - they picked my friend to be the last person, so I begged them to let me go with him since we were together and they did - but then Joshua Jackson wasn't there because it was before the panel and they wanted to keep the surprise that his character wasn't actually dead (if you watched the show you know what I am talking about). He was at the WB signing later that day.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
40? How many wristbands did they give out in the first place?
From Facebook, it sounded like about 10 people missed out (that was from one of the people who did miss out).

I wasn't there, it's what I heard, so the information is second-hand.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »
A few years ago when I did The Simpsons signing, a rep told us they always give less winning tickets for that one b/c Matt Groening does a sketch for everyone and it takes a long time. Maybe this year they accidentally allotted it the same amount of winners as a conventional signing and didn't realize it?

I must say, it is a very special session and he does in fact talk to everyone and draws a nice large sketch for you. He told me he chooses the character based on your personality LOL. He drew Bart for me and Lisa for Jes.

I will echo this, Matt Groening is extremely generous with his time.  I was part of a signing at the Acme booth many years ago where there were only 30 spots available for his signing.  When I lined up, I was last.  He was slotted to sign for only an hour.  It took almost 2 hours to get through everyone.  He loves to chat, people love to chat to him.  He likes to doodle and make comments.  He will sign everything put in front of him, even if the booth or handlers tell folks only one item. I wonder how many tickets they give out for that Simpsons signing?

On the subject of signings this year, I would be pretty disappointed if the main person or cast member doesn't show but I don't think I could be too disappointed.  It is weird that the person playing Batwoman couldn't get away for her own panel and signing but at least she signed some posters ahead of time so folks could get those.  Same for Kristen Bell.  Good on them.  I had a signing for His Dark Materials, but McAvoy did not come even though he was at the convention for promoting IT.  Bummer sure, but considering that I won a portal signing where virtually no time is spent in line except for lining up for the signing, I couldn't be THAT disappointed.  Plus Lin-Manuel Miranda was there so it was all good.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »
It is weird that the person playing Batwoman couldn't get away for her own panel and signing but at least she signed some posters ahead of time so folks could get those.

For Batwoman at least it was because she was filming for the show during con and just the scheduling wouldn't work out.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:09:17 PM by Car_Low »

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
Definitely nice of Ruby Rose to still sign otherwise if I had won the signing I would of been even more disappointed.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
I had a signing for His Dark Materials, but McAvoy did not come even though he was at the convention for promoting IT.  Bummer sure, but considering that I won a portal signing where virtually no time is spent in line except for lining up for the signing, I couldn't be THAT disappointed.  Plus Lin-Manuel Miranda was there so it was all good.

That's strange, he was there for the panel. I guess he had interviews maybe?

Offline Boukenred

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
That's strange, he was there for the panel. I guess he had interviews maybe?

McAvoy was still around; I’d asked him about it, and he said he didn’t know there was a Dark Materials signing.
Twitter/Instagram: @Boukenred

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »
I think actors like James McAvoy (It and His Dark Materials) and Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars and The Good Place) are pulling double duty at the con this year so it's possible they were busy with press for their other project/show.

For Batwoman, at their panel, the producers said they messed up scheduling a work day for Ruby during the con so that's why she couldn't be there.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
I got a signing ticket for NEXT, and was sooo excited to possibly meet Manny Coto.  I was very disappointed that he was not in the signing group.  I did thank each of the signers, and was glad to get my one lottery win signing.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Cambear

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »
Yeah, apparently Groening personalizes things and adds doodles so he always runs over?

Years and years ago (when things weren’t ticketed and you just got in line), I passed by a Matt Groening at Bongo Comics. He didn’t get to the last couple of folks, but told everyone to come back the next day for an 11 AM signing. We got in line the next day.

Puzzled booth worker: What are you in line for?
Us: The Matt Groening signing
Puzzled booth worker: Who told you that?
Us: Matt Groening

Booth worker shrugged and began to prep the table. Matt showed up and sketched and chatted for each person.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 09:34:30 PM »
2014, when most of the cast was signing for Age of Ultron, there were only about 70-100 tickets (at least that's what I heard). They didn't get through everyone. Thank goodness we made it. Still feel slightly guilty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk