Author Topic: Netflix "Warrior Nun" Any thoughts?  (Read 939 times)

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
Netflix "Warrior Nun" Any thoughts?
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »
On Sunday, I found myself looking for something to watch.  "Warrior Nun" popped up when I started the Netflix app.  I'd kinda avoided watching it for a couple of days, but decided to give it a try.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised.  I ended up watching the episodes the entire Sunday afternoon and after a break of about a day, finished it on Monday.  I learned that this series was produced by the same folks who did "Game of Thrones".

Have any of you seen this one yet?  I couldn't review a show if my life depended on it.  So I hope a more gifted person will put down some thoughts here.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
Re: Netflix "Warrior Nun" Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:47:36 AM »
The show runner is Simon Barry who did  sci fi show "Continuum".

I really enjoyed watching it,  lots of good character development.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:13:27 AM »

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:09:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The show runner is Simon Barry who did  sci fi show "Continuum".

I really enjoyed watching it,  lots of good character development.

I can't seem to verify 100% if there is a season 2.  So far, it looks like if so, it may be coming out late 2021 due to the Corona virus.

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
On Sunday, I found myself looking for something to watch.  "Warrior Nun" popped up when I started the Netflix app.  I'd kinda avoided watching it for a couple of days, but decided to give it a try.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised.  I ended up watching the episodes the entire Sunday afternoon and after a break of about a day, finished it on Monday.  I learned that this series was produced by the same folks who did "Game of Thrones".

Have any of you seen this one yet?  I couldn't review a show if my life depended on it.  So I hope a more gifted person will put down some thoughts here.

Also checkout The Old Guard on Netflix.  I think you will like it.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:53:14 PM »

I've been making my way through this.  I think it has its good & bad points.  Particularly, when it's actually about 'warrior nun' doing their thing, it's a lot of fun.  The costumes give me an HBO "Watchmen 'Sister Night' vibe which I love, and the main premise is fun in a way that takes itself _juuuust_ serious enough without either going too far or winking at itself.  The main character, Ava, is great & the actress is OUTSTANDING!  She saves the awful stuff, which is everything not having to do with the demonic stuff: like, when she's hanging out with the hot young criminals everyone around her is mostly an insufferable bore.  Ava is great, and I love the little details of her 'discovering herself,' such as enjoying the feel of the beach on her feet.
It's the kind of show that I'm not in a hurry to speed through because the show doesn't blow me away, but I'll finish it becomes I'm invested enough in the main story to see where it all ends up.  I can't stress enough how great Alba Baptista is as the main character, Ava: I think this show would've bored me early with a lesser actress, and to say she carries large portions of this season is an understatement.

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 07:30:29 AM »
Also checkout The Old Guard on Netflix.  I think you will like it.

Thank you!  In fact, after having watched "Old Guard" I watched "Warrior Nun" right after.   ;D

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »
I've been making my way through this.  I think it has its good & bad points.  Particularly, when it's actually about 'warrior nun' doing their thing, it's a lot of fun.  The costumes give me an HBO "Watchmen 'Sister Night' vibe which I love, and the main premise is fun in a way that takes itself _juuuust_ serious enough without either going too far or winking at itself.  The main character, Ava, is great & the actress is OUTSTANDING!  She saves the awful stuff, which is everything not having to do with the demonic stuff: like, when she's hanging out with the hot young criminals everyone around her is mostly an insufferable bore.  Ava is great, and I love the little details of her 'discovering herself,' such as enjoying the feel of the beach on her feet.
It's the kind of show that I'm not in a hurry to speed through because the show doesn't blow me away, but I'll finish it becomes I'm invested enough in the main story to see where it all ends up.  I can't stress enough how great Alba Baptista is as the main character, Ava: I think this show would've bored me early with a lesser actress, and to say she carries large portions of this season is an understatement.

What you said!  But I did finish it, so enough from me for now.