Author Topic: NYCC Random chat  (Read 80851 times)

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
Re: NYCC Random chat
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  • I noticed that there are more cosplayers in NYCC than in SDCC. I feel like in SDCC most people run on a schedule so they don't feel obligated to cosplay whereas in NYCC, the sense of urgency isn't there as much so I think there's more time throughout the con to cosplay. That and the weather during NYCC was a bit more tolerable to cosplay than in SDCC. That being said, I cosplayed for 3 days at NYCC and had an absolute blast making new friends and networking with other cosplayers
  • Artists Alley is different. I frequent the California con circuit so for the most part I'm familiar with the artists who attend conventions however it was nice to see different artists at NYCC. I mean there are some that I recognized but a majority of the artists are those who I've never seen before.

This. Last year was my first time attending SDCC and for the most part, all I did was wait in line. I was hoping to see more cosplayers because it was bigger con. This was a disappointment because I love taking photos of cosplayers.

I was also disappointed with Artist Alley in SDCC. What I discovered from talking to some of the artists in AA is that a lot of the artist booths are scattered among the main floor with all the more commercial booths, so you really had to wander around the main floor to meet a majority of the other artists. This is one of the things I enjoy about NYCC, things are compartmentalized. (is that a real word or did I just make this up?)

I did sit in on some of the panels and I did the whole Hall H on Saturday. One of the panels I went to last year was a 1987 panel and I could only sit inside the room for 10 minutes before feeling like I was going to pass out from the heat...it was like there was no air conditioning or enough oxygen in the room. If I revisit SDCC, I definitely would skip Hall H. Once was enough and honestly, the only thing I enjoyed about it was the wall to wall screens (especially during the Ready Player One event). Definitely would want to experience more of the offsite stuff --that's the real winner at SDCC. I think what really is the biggest letdown for me is that I had the 4 day plus Wednesday evening badges, but wasn't able to see everything I wanted to see --like there was something I missed out on. With NYCC, I always came out satisfied that I saw everything.

What people really don't realize is that the Hudson Yards (where the Javits is) is currently in development and that is the real reason why there aren't many food places etc within short walking distance. Once people start moving in to those "in progress" buildings, more restaurants, bars, convenience stores will open within short walking distances. I mean after all, the stupid 7 train didn't exist until about 2 years ago and the majority of con goers either took the 34th Street bus or hoofed it to the Javits from 8th Avenue to 11th Avenue (Avenues are about 3 city street blocks in length in Manhattan).
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:42 PM »

They're including the separately ticketed events in that number.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 01:21:54 AM »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »

They're including the separately ticketed events in that number.
So...I'm guessing that they count the same person more than once?  If a person has a badge, but then purchases for an offsite (say like the Alex Ross signing/panel at the Studio that didn't require a badge, but did require a ticket to be purchased) they're counted twice?  That makes that figure kinda...inflated...no?
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2018, 04:04:00 PM »
So...I'm guessing that they count the same person more than once?  If a person has a badge, but then purchases for an offsite (say like the Alex Ross signing/panel at the Studio that didn't require a badge, but did require a ticket to be purchased) they're counted twice?  That makes that figure kinda...inflated...no?

Yep. They count badges sold, not actual number of attendees. If one person buys a badge for all four days, that's not one person, that's four badges. Now they've added the stuff at the Studio, which like you said, sometimes didn't even require a badge.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
I wonder what figures SDCC would have if you counted alllllllll the offsite stuff? haha
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline riotgirl77

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:38 PM »
Since the first phase (I think...there’s another one right?) of Hudson Yards is complete and opened today..,do you think RP will make usage of some of open public spaces and The Shed for NYCC off-site events? I hope so..

I could see some NYCC stuff happening at The Shed...check out the video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
I could see some NYCC stuff happening at The Shed...check out the video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Wow..watched the video of The Shed.  With all of its planned uses and moving parts. It kind of reminds me of the Sails Pavilion, set forward about 10 years.  With all those moving parts, I can see something jamming...a lot. And the setting seems right for a movie murder mystery...hooks, pulleys from sky high, openings to fall through, staircases to hide..pieces on giant rolling tracks... ok? ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline EXO Vegeta

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »
Is anyone trying to get duplicates of any funko exclusives? I can help, I'm looking for someone to trade me for an extra Vegeta and Piccolo. I can get whatever ones you need and swap. I'm there thursday for 3:00pm

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
NYCC Random chat
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2019, 05:53:59 AM »
Next year’s NYCC dates are October 8-11, 2020.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
Joe Manganiello will be there on Saturday to promote his Dark Crystal collection.

Offline Dsenart

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2019, 04:22:35 PM »
Is there anyone at NYCC that can pick me up a copy of Spawn 300 Gold Foil exclusive.  I am in the U.K. and I can’t get there.  I have nearly every cover of Spawn but this one.  I am hoping someone can help me out and look out for a fellow collector.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:18 AM »
Got into a Lottery Panel without 'winning' a lottery placement.

:) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
I used to try to go all 4 days but next year, I think I may just go on Saturday.  I had a badge for Sunday but ended up skipping because I bought all the merch I wanted on Saturday and there weren't any panels I was absolutely dying to see on Sunday.  There were no killer offsites like the one year they had West World, and outside of Funko, not much in terms of high demand merch (Ok, I did spend 2 hours in line for Joe Manganiello's Dark Crystal shirts).
 Plus Eats Con was also happening in my neighborhood and I had to try that exclusive Shake Shack burger. 

But maybe I'll do Friday/Saturday next year, especially if Netflix has something as great as their "Netflix and Chills" panel last year where they had a block of Haunting of Hill House, Umbrella Academy, Dark Crystal, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  It did seem the interesting panels for me this year were on Thurs and Fri. 

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
I used to try to go all 4 days but next year, I think I may just go on Saturday.  I had a badge for Sunday but ended up skipping because I bought all the merch I wanted on Saturday and there weren't any panels I was absolutely dying to see on Sunday.  There were no killer offsites like the one year they had West World, and outside of Funko, not much in terms of high demand merch (Ok, I did spend 2 hours in line for Joe Manganiello's Dark Crystal shirts).
 Plus Eats Con was also happening in my neighborhood and I had to try that exclusive Shake Shack burger. 

But maybe I'll do Friday/Saturday next year, especially if Netflix has something as great as their "Netflix and Chills" panel last year where they had a block of Haunting of Hill House, Umbrella Academy, Dark Crystal, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  It did seem the interesting panels for me this year were on Thurs and Fri.

This year absolutely sucked. NYCC was better last year. I don't know what happened. Last year they had that great Outlander experience with the tote bags, Caswell-Massey perfume, and the embossed leather luggage tags. Good Omens had a good experience booth with the mini journals and The Good Place with the giant fork. I have been scaling back my badges over the years because I don't care for the majority of vendors. I also got most of what I wanted on Thursday (but totally missed out on the Jurassic Park poster print from Bottleneck Gallery  :( ). The vendors I do enjoy, I can count on my 2 hands. I much preferred hanging around Artist Alley, but over the years they haven't really inspired me much. NYCC panels have almost always sucked. I didn't go this Saturday because I just can't deal with the shoulder to shoulder crowds anymore. I had hoped there would be some off-site stuff utilizing The High Line since it's right there, but nope. There's some good cosplay at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »

I've definitely scaled back.  I only went on Thursday this year, because the only panel I really wanted to go to was StarTalk, and it's only been on Thursday in the past.  I always check out the exhibit floor, but because they have a lot of the same vendors as SDCC, and because I usually shoot my budget there, it's really not necessary for me to cover the whole floor.

NYCC Panels are a crap shoot, and they don't do a very good job letting you know the schedule (IMO).

Since I got to see the panel I wanted, I may skip NYCC next year.   ???
Phasers on Stun!!!