Author Topic: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)  (Read 36927 times)

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
Re: Renting a condo or AirBNB for SDCC? (Post advice or questions here!)
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »
If not already mentioned but guessing it has been said that try get a place and knock on wood hope not cancel on u cause they find out u going to con and try charge more for space being rented for week. read stuff happend last year and sux if it happens, so have a back up incase of anything changes.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If not already mentioned but guessing it has been said that try get a place and knock on wood hope not cancel on u cause they find out u going to con and try charge more for space being rented for week. read stuff happend last year and sux if it happens, so have a back up incase of anything changes.
Back-up is a good idea. I had also read to be up-front about renting for SDCC... I'm hoping being up-front will help avoid last-minute cancellations.
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline needles1985

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »
Wheres the best place outside of downtown to get an airbnb? Somewhere close to trolleys or shuttle stops.

Offline ninjagoblin

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
My experience has been that unless they are new to renting in San Diego they have already taken SDCC into consideration and set their prices accordingly. Biggest issue i have found is negative reviews seem to be extreme in many cases. So much so that I have had to contact the property owner or manager for additional details. In most cases they have provided me with satisfactory answers and when i got there everything was as it should be. Best advice is to follow your gut, ask questions and when possible check out the crime statistics for the area where the place is located. Ive seen some beautiful places in some seedy neighborhoods.
My superpower is the ability to rationalize anything.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Im guessing any area can look seedy or shady so to speak if the people around dont try to keep it decent , but then i guess baddies so to speak have their bad intentions and can ruin it for everyone. if anything dont leave anything in line of sight for others to be temptd if anything and hide values in trunk , etc.

Offline battlestar81

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2018, 10:08:24 AM »
We did Airbnb last year for a group of 7. It was about 1.1 miles away and worked out pretty well and we are trying a different one this year closer. My experience so far has been ok but I can say that people do get super greedy with the Con price uphike. Last year and this year the first 3-4 places I found I wanted to put money down to hold the place the owner suddenly said, "well since this is for the con I need to increase price. and suddenly the week cost went from 2500 to 5-6 grand. It happened to me 3 times this year until I finally had someone say their listed price is the cost con or no con and I put a deposit down. So definitely be upfront about going for the con to mitigate price changes\cancellation last minute. Also, I try and keep communication with the owner keeping pulse up until the week before.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
We did Airbnb last year for a group of 7. It was about 1.1 miles away and worked out pretty well and we are trying a different one this year closer. My experience so far has been ok but I can say that people do get super greedy with the Con price uphike. Last year and this year the first 3-4 places I found I wanted to put money down to hold the place the owner suddenly said, "well since this is for the con I need to increase price. and suddenly the week cost went from 2500 to 5-6 grand. It happened to me 3 times this year until I finally had someone say their listed price is the cost con or no con and I put a deposit down. So definitely be upfront about going for the con to mitigate price changes\cancellation last minute. Also, I try and keep communication with the owner keeping pulse up until the week before.

Good that u try to plan ahead as much as possible. in ways it sad that renters or owners get greedy cause of con so they assume or think con goers who rent gonna have alot bank to spend so they on purpose charge more for the space for own gain and profit like ebay lol. but good u able to find people who not charge a bankload just to stay at a place for the week or less.

i might have mentioned before , that im thankfull i live close so able to save and spend less to go and enjoy and not stress over so many details to just go and have fun for the days i am able to go.

Offline grbggrl

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »
We're considering a condo, or airbnb, but honestly, I'm terrified of the owner canceling last minute. It nearly happened to me in London, not over a holiday/event weekend, and trying to scramble a the last minute to find a place for 5 people was a nightmare (luckily the guy came through in the end).

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »
We're considering a condo, or airbnb, but honestly, I'm terrified of the owner canceling last minute. It nearly happened to me in London, not over a holiday/event weekend, and trying to scramble a the last minute to find a place for 5 people was a nightmare (luckily the guy came through in the end).

If you look for something outside of downtown you should have a decent chance of having it work out.  Downtown owners know about SDCC and jack up their prices accordingly.  I got a VRBO at Pacific Beach a few years ago without any problem.

Offline grbggrl

• Freebie Table
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
If you look for something outside of downtown you should have a decent chance of having it work out.  Downtown owners know about SDCC and jack up their prices accordingly.  I got a VRBO at Pacific Beach a few years ago without any problem.

My biggest problem is I NEED to be Downtown somewhere. I'm press (for my own very tiny site), and it's really a huge help to be in a hotel where I can go dump video to upload to my editor, and also just to have somewhere I can go to relax during the day. :(

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
My biggest problem is I NEED to be Downtown somewhere. I'm press (for my own very tiny site), and it's really a huge help to be in a hotel where I can go dump video to upload to my editor, and also just to have somewhere I can go to relax during the day. :(

Yeh, I get it.  It's crazy the time commitment involved to get a decent hotel.

Offline xeorge710

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »
Do you have any companions with you? Looking for roomates? I'm also press and I'm having a problem to find something to stay in. If you're looking for someone let me know

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2018, 08:08:21 AM »
I have had the sudden cancellation happen on abnb several times. Luckily, each time was early enough to find something else if some distance from downtown.

Offline grbggrl

• Freebie Table
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Do you have any companions with you? Looking for roomates? I'm also press and I'm having a problem to find something to stay in. If you're looking for someone let me know

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk

I actually have a lot of people who are trying to share a room with me, because none of us got anything. But if I hear of anything, I'll let you know.

Offline grbggrl

• Freebie Table
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
I have had the sudden cancellation happen on abnb several times. Luckily, each time was early enough to find something else if some distance from downtown.

See, I don't think I can take the stress of that. I hate that about Airbnb. Don't the customers get seriously punished for cancellations? Then the owners should too.