Author Topic: Decline of Movie studio at Comic con  (Read 5349 times)

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Decline of Movie studio at Comic con
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
[member=380]perc2100[/member] - I am adoring your thorough, thoughtful and fun discussion - and now think YOU should do a panel!   :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=380]perc2100[/member] - I am adoring your thorough, thoughtful and fun discussion - and now think YOU should do a panel!   :D
hahahahaha
A co-worker of mine made the 'mistake' of asking me about Comic-Con's history and I unleashed what must've felt to him like Graduate-level dissertation  :P

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:20:14 PM »

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
5.  I really think Hall H needs to be utilized way into the night, with breaks for cleaning.

While that would be cool, that won't happen as studios hold their rehearsals with the Hall H AV techs a few hours after the last panel of the day for anything they are screening the next day. They'll play their trailers 10 or so times, tweaking the sound (usually asking for it to be louder, lol, much to the chagrin of the techs), and often don't finish till well after midnight.

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
While that would be cool, that won't happen as studios hold their rehearsals with the Hall H AV techs a few hours after the last panel of the day for anything they are screening the next day. They'll play their trailers 10 or so times, tweaking the sound (usually asking for it to be louder, lol, much to the chagrin of the techs), and often don't finish till well after midnight.

[member=2264]RustyPonds[/member]  - Ohhhhh...thank you for that info!  Didn’t think of that.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Cambear

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
I have several, somewhat opposing feelings and questions about the big studios at SDCC.

1.  Makes it more difficult to get into Hall H and see a panel that is before one of the “biggies”. 

2.  Do the studios actually pay for the panel time in Hall H or Ballroom 20?

3. I would like to see some unexpected things in Hall H- a concert for instance.

4. Maybe their performance - however poor- would have been even worse if they had NOT shown up?  :)

5.  I really think Hall H needs to be utilized way into the night, with breaks for cleaning.

4. It’s better to not show up than to show up and flop.

If you flop, you start off with bad buzz and have an uphill battle to promote your show/film.
If you don’t show, there are other opportunities out there. The stage may not be as big, but there are alternatives.

So most want to go IF they can do it right. With hundreds of TV shows and movies at SDCC, it’s hard to get noticed for doing a good job. You have to do GREAT job to get the attention to justify all the extra effort to bring the talent, create new clips, organize a ton of press days and all that goes into bring a show to SDCC.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
4. It’s better to not show up than to show up and flop.

If you flop, you start off with bad buzz and have an uphill battle to promote your show/film.
If you don’t show, there are other opportunities out there. The stage may not be as big, but there are alternatives.

So most want to go IF they can do it right. With hundreds of TV shows and movies at SDCC, it’s hard to get noticed for doing a good job. You have to do GREAT job to get the attention to justify all the extra effort to bring the talent, create new clips, organize a ton of press days and all that goes into bring a show to SDCC.
I talked to a Fox studio rep one year at a party (lowish level) and they talked about how much time & money goes into planning for Comic-Con.  That was before the studios got into the practice of releasing footage online ASAP after the panel/after the footage released in Hall H.  They were talking about the Hall H "fees" they have to pay vs how difficult it is to get legit mainstream media hype because of all the "noise" of Comic-Con: last year there were over 60 panels JUST FOR TV PROGRAMMING ALONE!!!  There was somewhat of an 'epiphany' by film studios years ago where they realized it's difficult to quantify Comic-Con hype translating to box office success, so the studios nowadays likely only want to do a big film panel if 1) they have the right footage to show off the film (if a production is earlyish in shooting they might not have enough FX elements to edit together a compelling sizzle reel) 2) the right talent is available (sometimes the stars have it in their contracts depending on the property, and the studio treats Comic-Con as marketing budget-wise; but sometimes it's just a matter of "the director is too busy in post-production" or "the stars have moved on to other projects or don't want to sell a movie on a day off") 3) they have to be confident it's the 'right' movie for Comic-Con.  It's an incredibly tough racket, Comic-Con Hall H: an an expensive one at that.  Studios have found other ways to promote their products that week and get a much wider/broader audience than "just" the 6500 folks who camped out for a seat.  Marvel knows how to bring the hype, as does Warner Bros, but other studios still haven't figured out how to match the excitement level those generate.  I mean, a few years ago "Stranger Things" had a Saturday afternoon panel that was moderated by freaking Patton Oswalt that was wildly entertaining: but it got so little media coverage because Marvel came in a few hours later and blew the roof off.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
This article ran in The New York Times a month before the 2011 event that first reported that some studios were abandoning Comic-Con.  BTW, 2011 was the first one I attended.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019