Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxy Edge opening May 31 @ Disneyland, August 29th @ Disneyworld  (Read 34438 times)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Probably Thursday, July 11 and Friday, July 12. Possibly Friday and Saturday instead.
I’m a Disneyholic, but I’m from Minnesota. It’s going to be difficult, but even though I’ll be in California for SDCC in July, I’m going to wait until next year’s WonderCon before visiting Galaxy’s Edge. I’m excited for you all though. I hope for full reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
Probably Thursday, July 11 and Friday, July 12. Possibly Friday and Saturday instead.
I'm going the Monday before con.  I fly in Sunday, do Disneyland Monday, head down to San Diego Tuesday, and then SDCC.

If the i'm unable to get in the first day i may be open to either of these time periods-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
I’m a Disneyholic, but I’m from Minnesota. It’s going to be difficult, but even though I’ll be in California for SDCC in July, I’m going to wait until next year’s WonderCon before visiting Galaxy’s Edge. I’m excited for you all though. I hope for full reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on doing a full write up for my website, hopefully publishing it before SDCC.  But idk how much time I'll have between the two lol.  I'm going to try though.

If the i'm unable to get in the first day i may be open to either of these time periods-

Just let me know if you decide to come during my time period. I've already got my hotel room booked and full so I can't split a room, but I'd be happy to meet up.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
If you are coming, just LMK, Alyssa!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
If you are coming, just LMK, Alyssa!
will do- it'll be school schedule dependent ;) and if i can do a hotel roomshare with a buddy ;)

I plan on doing a full write up for my website, hopefully publishing it before SDCC.  ....

I may or may not be planing on doing a write up also .... LOL ;) thx for the hotel heads up too

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login/b]
Those looking to stay on Disney property before they head to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge better try a different hotel location — or another weekend entirely.

All Disney properties at the Disneyland resort are completely booked the night of May 30, the day before Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens. Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier, and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel are all full. A booking agent confirmed this with Polygon, and mentioned that partner hotels still have availability.

(...)

As evidenced by the booking situation, hype for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is intense. The full hotel situation comes not only from the excitement, but from how Disney hopes to manage it.

From May 31 to June 23, not only will visitors have to purchase tickets for Disneyland, they will also have to make reservations to enter Galaxy’s Edge. While Disney has yet to release the information on how to make those reservations, thay have said that each registered guest staying at the Disneyland resorts will receive one reservation.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
Am I odd?  The first weekend it opens is the one weekend I wouldn't want to be there.  I know they will go all out but ugh the crowds. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
Am I odd?  The first weekend it opens is the one weekend I wouldn't want to be there.  I know they will go all out but ugh the crowds.

Nope, we're planning on staying far away from that area on opening weekend! haha

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714

Not to mention that there will be issues and I want to give them time to work out some of the bugs.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
Guess I'll go against the grain here, but I love being "first."  If I lived in SoCal I'd have likely booked one of those rooms.  Sadly airfare is expensive and all my time off is used for SDCC (and uh health issues) so I won't be there then.  I was the first guest to enter Innoventions when it opened back in like 97/98.

But I'm weird.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
Guess I'll go against the grain here, but I love being "first."  If I lived in SoCal I'd have likely booked one of those rooms.  Sadly airfare is expensive and all my time off is used for SDCC (and uh health issues) so I won't be there then.  I was the first guest to enter Innoventions when it opened back in like 97/98.

But I'm weird.

no, it's a thing, being first.
personally, the crowds will be hell for the first year or two imnsho-
but i guess the fast pass option might kick in after a while BUT being first especially in the blogging write-up arena is a thing

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003

When Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run opens in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland the highly anticipated attraction will have hours-long lines and an all-important new feature: A bathroom pass for those who can’t wait that long.
The new bathroom pass will be available in the Smugglers Run queue when the ride opens May 31 at the Anaheim theme park and the Rise of the Resistance queue when the second Galaxy’s Edge attraction debuts later this year.

Disneyland will restrict access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge from May 31 through June 23 to visitors with reservations. Each registered guest staying at the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel or Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel during the initial 24-day window will receive one reservation to Galaxy’s Edge. A limited number of theme park visitors not staying in one of the three hotels will be able to make reservations for Galaxy’s Edge. Disneyland has not yet released details on how the free reservation system will work.

There will be no standby access to the land and we want to make sure that that’s clear for guests,” said Disneyland Vice President Kris Theiler. “We don’t want guests coming to the park thinking, ‘I don’t have a reservation. Maybe I’ll just get in the queue and I’ll be able to get in.’ We’re not going to have a standby line. So it will be limited solely to those guests that have reservations.”

A reservation probably won’t give visitors unlimited access to the new land for the entire day, Theiler said.
“We will be giving guests a window of time, but we’re still working through what that looks like and the duration for that,” she said. “We know guests might want to stay in there all day, but we’ve got a whole big group that wants to get in there. We’re just trying to balance all those things and really deliver the right solution for our guests.”

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
Ha, I hadn't even thought about the bathroom situation.  I vaguely remember when the Indiana Jones line was like 5 hours long we would run to the restroom and have trouble finding each other in the line again.  My mom got yelled at because people thought she was cutting in line.  lmao it was vicious.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Ha, I hadn't even thought about the bathroom situation.  I vaguely remember when the Indiana Jones line was like 5 hours long we would run to the restroom and have trouble finding each other in the line again.  My mom got yelled at because people thought she was cutting in line.  lmao it was vicious.
FWIW most, if not ALL, of the rides w/indoor lines have a bathroom in the que: you just need to ask the employees (I've been in the bathroom in the Indy ride and in Space Mountain).  Glad they're already anticipating that issue for Galaxy's Edge.

no, it's a thing, being first.
personally, the crowds will be hell for the first year or two imnsho-
but i guess the fast pass option might kick in after a while BUT being first especially in the blogging write-up arena is a thing
The lines will be insane for quite awhile.  I've been an AP holder for the better part of 2 decades and when Carsland opened up the Racers were 2+ hours of waiting for several years later: and even know during peak times of the year 2+ hour wait isn't uncommon.
This is not only going to be crazy, but since there seems to only be one way in or out for attendees it will likely be worse than most places in the park.
Other places in Disneyland that are one-way in/out:
* back corner where Splash Mountain & Winnie the Pooh picture place is
* Toontown

Neither of those are really bad at all (maybe the area by Splash Mountain in the summer), and they're both pretty wide-open areas to make it feel a little less congested.  But I suspect Galaxy's Edge will be a LOT more popular than those areas were since they first opened.

But I'm weird.
Yeah, I'm with you for the most part.  I'm a teacher so I'll have all summer to find lesser-crowded days during the week to check it out, but I def. want to be there ASAP.  As a kid growing up in OH I would see the Disney specials on TV that celebrated the opening of a new E-ticket attraction and I always wished I could be one of those lucky people experiencing the new ride.  Disney used to be great about giving Annual Passholders a sneak-peak the week leading up to Opening Day.  Got to do Carsland, Toy Story Midway Mania, Little Mermaid, all had AP sneak peaks.  It's not uncommon for Disney to do "soft openings," where they'll open up a new ride a weekend early just to do a test run.  They won't announce it, it's one of those "in the right place at the right time" type of deals.  I got to do this the year they changed Space Mountain to the SW version: I was there on a Sat. or Sun. and one minute it was closed like it had been for months and literally 15 min. later it was open with zero line.  So maybe I can get lucky and ride it on a secret soft opening before it opens.  I'm hoping to catch it opening weekend, and I'm staying at Paradise Pier in mid-June so I should at least be able to ride it then.  But I'm with you Angel: I like to ride it first as well

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
FWIW most, if not ALL, of the rides w/indoor lines have a bathroom in the que: you just need to ask the employees (I've been in the bathroom in the Indy ride and in Space Mountain).  Glad they're already anticipating that issue for Galaxy's Edge.

Huh...  I had an annual pass for about 5 years (1997-2002) and I did not know this. 

Other places in Disneyland that are one-way in/out:
* back corner where Splash Mountain & Winnie the Pooh picture place is
* Toontown

On the maps it looks like there may be a possible entrance near Splash Mountain/Critter Country for this.  But. as noted above, I'm clearly not the most up to date on Disney stuff.  I've just been stalking maps on the app and Google maps and noticed some construction near a path in that corner.

It's not uncommon for Disney to do "soft openings," where they'll open up a new ride a weekend early just to do a test run.  They won't announce it, it's one of those "in the right place at the right time" type of deals.  I got to do this the year they changed Space Mountain to the SW version: I was there on a Sat. or Sun. and one minute it was closed like it had been for months and literally 15 min. later it was open with zero line.  So maybe I can get lucky and ride it on a secret soft opening before it opens.  I'm hoping to catch it opening weekend, and I'm staying at Paradise Pier in mid-June so I should at least be able to ride it then.  But I'm with you Angel: I like to ride it first as well

Back in 1998 there was a soft opening for Innoventions and I was the very first guest to step foot in the doors ever.  I wear that badge with pride lmao.  I was stalking the "new" Tommorrowland every day for months.  Also wow the "new" Tomorrowland is two decades old now. I FEEL OLD.