Author Topic: Son of Monsterpalooza 2019: September 13-15, Burbank, CA  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
Son of Monsterpalooza 2019: September 13-15, Burbank, CA
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
This is a cool horror themed Con if you're in the area, with some celebrity guests like Jon Bernthal, Marky Ramone, Devon Sawa, Billy Zane, and Robert Patrick to name a few.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's my FoCC review of their sister show Monsterpalooza earlier this year: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:28:19 AM by Angology »
Twitter: @JasonDelgado78

FoCC Blog movie review guy

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Son of Monsterpalooza 2019: September 13-15, Burbank, CA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:48 PM »
I'll be there Saturday!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:46:35 AM »

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »
Cool! First time going or have you been before? Excited to see anyone in particular? I’m going tonight!

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
I hope the Son of show is good this year. I was actually interested in going this time (haven't been in a long time) but September was a budget-busting month for me.  :o

I used to attend Monsterpalooza (the bigger Spring show) religiously when it was in Burbank. In those days they really focused on the sci-fi and horror classics, had excellent programming and a really intimate feel about the show. It was really easy to walk up and talk to the talent, get their autographs (paid, of course) and chat. You would see everybody in the hotel restaurant. Then they moved to Pasadena and the whole vibe changed. The floor was much bigger but basically turned into a flea market. The autograph guests got pushed out into the hallway and the programming went down the tubes. I know that a lot of long-time vendors started losing money because the new target audience was non-horror people looking to take pictures of "cool stuff" for their Instagram accounts but with no money/desire to buy anything. Basically a cash grab to get bodies in the door and make $$$$ on ticket sales.

Hopefully they start getting back to their roots. With this years guest list and programming, it looks as though they might. Hope so as I miss my favorite local "Creep Show"  ;)     

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
This show was definitely a more intimate vibe. Watch for my Con report on the FoCC blog, and my interview with Marky Ramone!

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »
This show was definitely a more intimate vibe. Watch for my Con report on the FoCC blog, and my interview with Marky Ramone!
Glad the show was good and looking forward to reading your review!

I didn't see until yesterday that Dario Argento had canceled, due to health reasons. Same with Barbara Steele. Argento was one of the main reasons I was interested in Son of this time, although I wanted to see Robert Patrick, too. That's one of the sad things for me that there are so very few of the "classic" actors and directors left anymore. I'm so glad that I got to see Julie Adams, Carla Laemmle and others before they passed.

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Thank you! Yes, that's too bad about Argento.

That's great that you were able to see Adams and Laemmle! Those Universal Monster movies are so classic, I need to dust off my blu-rays for Halloween!

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:04:05 AM »
I had a great time. Very small show. My highlight was meeting Ray Wise. Scored some good Godzilla sofubi at the M1 booth too

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Jasond878

• Freebie Table
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 09:52:13 PM »
Glad the show was good and looking forward to reading your review!

I didn't see until yesterday that Dario Argento had canceled, due to health reasons. Same with Barbara Steele. Argento was one of the main reasons I was interested in Son of this time, although I wanted to see Robert Patrick, too. That's one of the sad things for me that there are so very few of the "classic" actors and directors left anymore. I'm so glad that I got to see Julie Adams, Carla Laemmle and others before they passed.

My review is up now on the blog if you’d like to check it out, I appreciate it!: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login