Author Topic: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion  (Read 94729 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2023 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2023, 02:25:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Interesting...

My brain always goes to the business aspects of these thing.

The report said it was $550,000,000 investment, and it's been on the boards since 2006.  These developers don't take these risks lightly.  Comic-Con aside, I wonder what information he has that says this development will be profitable.  Of course, I will be looking forward to hotelpocalypse 2025 (God Willing).   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2023, 02:39:36 PM »
Just for fun:

A few years ago we stayed in the suite that was Mr. Manchester's personal apartment within the MGH.  It had a large dining/living room area and a MASSIVE bedroom with a King bed and sleeper sofa, and way too much empty floor space.  If I knew how to share photos I'd show you :).

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #152 on: Today at 02:52:57 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2023, 07:13:19 AM »
Just for fun:

A few years ago we stayed in the suite that was Mr. Manchester's personal apartment within the MGH.  It had a large dining/living room area and a MASSIVE bedroom with a King bed and sleeper sofa, and way too much empty floor space.  If I knew how to share photos I'd show you :).

Two questions, if you don't mind.  And if you don't want to answer, no problem.

1.  Did you request the suite

2.  How much did you pay per night?

On the request question, once, while traveling on a business trip for my company, I was given a huge suite.  So was my co-worker.  I'm pretty sure my company didn't request it.  We didn't rank that high.   :). I think it was more a case of availability.  I'm just curious
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2023, 07:22:39 AM »
Just for fun:

Nice. Did it have a kitchen?
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2023, 03:16:16 PM »
Two questions, if you don't mind.  And if you don't want to answer, no problem.

1.  Did you request the suite

2.  How much did you pay per night?

On the request question, once, while traveling on a business trip for my company, I was given a huge suite.  So was my co-worker.  I'm pretty sure my company didn't request it.  We didn't rank that high.   :). I think it was more a case of availability.  I'm just curious

A friend who worked at Hyatt helped us get the upgrade  ;D

Nice. Did it have a kitchen?

I don't a photo to refresh my memory, but pretty sure it had just a mini-fridge and microwave like any suite would have.  He must've ordered room service for his guests at the dining table.

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2023, 06:08:07 PM »
What an amazing experience!

Offline Snick3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2023, 06:44:11 PM »
I have had to use a scooter the past two years and both times been lucky enough to be at the Hilton Bayfront. Is there anyone here that was at a hotel farther away that also used a scooter? And how difficult was the experience?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »
I have had to use a scooter the past two years and both times been lucky enough to be at the Hilton Bayfront. Is there anyone here that was at a hotel farther away that also used a scooter? And how difficult was the experience?

In the past, there has been an ADA Shuttle service that can accommodate scooters. It is part of the free shuttle service. There is also a helpful Facebook Group:  SDCC ADA Attendee Support Group  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2023, 06:37:25 PM »
I have friends (and relatives) in San Diego.
Right before (and the week or two after) Hotelpocalypse, I stress out, refresh my emails over and over, and start checking out options if I miss the first round.
My friends (and relatives) always invite me to stay with them, and tell me I shouldn't be stressing out over an overpriced hotel room when I have a free bed nearby.
They're not Convention folk.
And every year, I have to awkwardly turn down a generous offer, even if I'm trawling forums looking for an available reservation.
Anyone else?

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2023, 10:21:07 AM »
I wish I had friends that would offer me a spare cot during SDCC. Pretty lucky. The last time I got tickets I was fortunate enough to exchange for a smaller room at Gaslight with this group. I hope I have similar luck this year. But yeah, I would only take them up on the offer if I'm unable to find any rooms. I don't want to disturb them coming and going at strange hours - especially if I'm trying to get to the convention early as they may not be up at 4 in the morning  ;D
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »
I have friends (and relatives) in San Diego.
Right before (and the week or two after) Hotelpocalypse, I stress out, refresh my emails over and over, and start checking out options if I miss the first round.
My friends (and relatives) always invite me to stay with them, and tell me I shouldn't be stressing out over an overpriced hotel room when I have a free bed nearby.
They're not Convention folk.
And every year, I have to awkwardly turn down a generous offer, even if I'm trawling forums looking for an available reservation.
Anyone else?
I'm on the east coast.  My first year (2015) before the Con, I was having lunch with a friend from Escondido.  She was visiting family in my area.  When I happened to mention I was going to Comic-Con, she said 'Why don't you stay with me' (A gift from God).  One issue that came up was that she was going to be back in the east coast before the Con, and was flying home the day before Preview Night.  Since I didn't want to be a 'burden' on her as she was heading home, I booked 2 nights at a hotel on Shelter Island, with the plan to stay with her the next 2 nights.  It worked out perfectly.  I got to become familiar with the shuttle and the Con itself for the 2 days I was completely on my own.  I had rented a car that year (total rookie move :) ) , so i drove down to San Diego those days I stayed with her.  I'm pretty sure, if I asked,  I could stay with her during the Con, but since then, I've chosen to always book a hotel for all the days.  It's more convenient, and actually more fun.  It has become a tradition that we have dinner one night though.  It's worked out.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2023, 06:13:41 AM »
According to the unofficial blog, vendors got their hotel assignments

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2023, 06:29:51 AM »
According to the unofficial blog, vendors got their hotel assignments

Good news. Maybe they are all at the Pendry.  :)  Breaking out last year's hotel info...again.

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »
It’s getting that much closerrrrrr! Cue excitement and panic!

Offline soldierofwinter

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2023, 07:12:12 PM »
I cosplay quite heavily all the days of con - sometimes with a costume change at some point during the day, though that's not usual (but I'm not opposed to it as the opportunity presents itself) - and I will very much be needing a hotel really close-in to the con, very much within walking distance....  When you're cosplaying full layers of kit, including leather armour, plus you're girt with one or more props for the occasion (for me it'll be Geralt, Loki, Daemon Targaryen, Bucky, and so on and so forth :) ) - you get to the point where you're more than ready, happy, and willing to pay nicely for the peace of mind and comfort of being that conveniently located!  It just helps immeasurably with taking breaks, staying well nourished and hydrated, and so forth. ;)

I've stayed at the Hilton Bayfront and quite enjoyed it - and so long as I can be at least that close, or thereabouts (or even closer!), it should work well enough for me.  I'm definitely hoping that will prove possible! :)  (I'm also just about to book my flights - it would seem that I'm also to the point in life where I'm ready to pay extra for the equal comfort and peace of mind of first class!  LOL!)