Author Topic: Hawkeye ***Spoilers***  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Hawkeye ***Spoilers***
« on: November 24, 2021, 07:31:32 AM »
Hawkeye spoilers go here.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Hawkeye ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:24:47 PM »
Haven't watched e2 yet, but I'll just say that Rogers the Musical is my new favorite Fake Musical!  My past favorite Fake Musical was probably "Lease" from TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE, so it's not shock that the same composer/co-lyricist Marc Shaiman wrote both (as well as the perfectly hilarious South Park movie music).  I do like the setup in e1, and look forward to watching e2 sometime later today (def. before tomorrow, since as a Beatles-obsessed individually I'll be diving into "Get Back")

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:44:53 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
I feel like the action sequences so far through thee episodes has been really well-down.  I thought the fight scenes in Flacon and the Winter Soldier were often either not choreographed or shot/edited well, though I know the filming schedule on a series/miniseries is significantly quicker than for a film and actors/crew have less time to prep (meaning, I wasn't impressed but I get the logistics and it didn't ruin anything for me).  So far the action set pieces in Hawkeye have been awesomely put together, both from a choreography standpoint as well as cinematography and editing.  While plenty of the car chase in e3 looked like it was done via CGI background (Hailee Steinfeld is obviously not going to be hanging out of a speeding car shooting arrows in a NYC borough), there were some really inventive shots and a lot of fun ideas.

How interesting is it that in the post-ENDGAME MCU we've constantly being dealing with significant trauma?  "WandaVision" and Bucky's PTSD are obvious to see, but even the BLACK WIDOW 'prequel' dealt with the title character dealing with a) the constant guilt of her assassinations and b) dealing with her stolen child hood.  FAR FROM HOME showed Peter coming to terms with the loss of his mentor as he took the classic grieving mechanism of literally trying to run away from responsibilities as a legit hero by blowing off (who he thought was) Nick Fury and going on a European class trip.  ENDGAME even touched on things slightly with an opening scene showcasing Steve Rogers leading a comfort group; I mean, the MCU has to legit have millions (at least!) of folks with massive mental issues after The Blip!
And of course Hawkeye is no exception, where Clint is clearly dealing with A LOT of issues, now compounded even more as an 'innocent bystander' is now caught up in a deadly situation because of how Clint dealt with his family being Blipped out when he went on his Ronin murder spree: compounded with his 'survivor guilt' of Natasha's sacrifice.

SHANG-CHI and ETERNALS haven't needed to delve into these waters, with all-new characters in need of introductions to audiences w/out the baggage of past films/stories.  But it's fascinating to see Marvel legit deal with real-world issues that would arise from something as huge as The Blip.  After FAR FROM HOME, where they seemed to wave their hands and make a joke of The Blip (in a way that felt very much like a comic book writer taking over a storyline from another like-time writer with a metaphorical "we're not going to spend a ton of time dealing with this - we have other stories to focus on, lets move on with our lives").  I know a long-form story like the Disney+ stuff gives writers more space/room/time to focus on these issues whereas a movie may not so I'm glad to see this stuff dealt with in pop art. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 05:48:46 PM »
Begin rant:

I normally marathon stuff but to avoid spoilers (which thanks YouTube the revelation from this week's episode was to be fair was labelled spoiler but the spoiler was a big fat bald picture of said spoiler in a white suit so thanks Emergency Awesome great job thumbs up) I've been watching weekly and I have so say that 1 ep per week is [moderator removed bad language word] [more bad words] [ok he may be done now] [nope more bad words] barbaric!!!!

What is this?  The [ok more bad words] 80s with VCRs?  Please Disney+ Gods let me marathon shows so Emergency Awesome doesn't ruin [wait he didn't say a bad word?] everything!!!!!

::Pant pant pant::  Ok I'm out of mother [oh dear]-ing breath from that one.

This rant has been bright to you by the letters E(mergency),  A(wesome), and S[one more bad word].

End rant.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:58:51 PM by Chris »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:18:02 AM »
I finally got to binging this yesterday, I'm laid up in bed recovering

I really enjoyed it. Loved the complete story arc. Loved the female lead and really liked the ending of brining her home to the family- really really sweet.

of course, i always enjoy Nat's sister :)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:06:36 PM »
It had to grow on me.  I wasn't that fond of the first two episodes.  Coming after Loki, I was hoping for a similar series.  It's not.  It's lighthearted.  It's a comedy and not a drama.  It did grow on me.  I loved the last two episodes.  Particularly the finale.  For me, in the end, it's a Kate and Yelena buddy film.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 10:04:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
.... For me, in the end, it's a Kate and Yelena buddy film.
I can see that. I think the buddy dynamic would be aided by Clint's presents however, in the grumpy dad role :)
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 09:17:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It had to grow on me.  I wasn't that fond of the first two episodes.  Coming after Loki, I was hoping for a similar series.  It's not.  It's lighthearted.  It's a comedy and not a drama.  It did grow on me.  I loved the last two episodes.  Particularly the finale.  For me, in the end, it's a Kate and Yelena buddy film.
Yeah, it started a bit slow IMO: not a bad thing necessarily, because I do adore Hailee Steinfeld and don't mind spending time with any of her character; and Kate is a mostly fun one to spend time with so not a drag for me.  They also went a long way for making Hawkeye seem pretty cool, so that in and of itself is an incredible feat  :P
(yes I know the comic series this is inspired by did similar and is also awesome)

As per their usual I felt the ending was meh, though better than some of the other Disney+ MCU series.  I legit thin Marvel has often had a climax problem with their films: with the exception of the Avengers movies it seems rare that we walk out of the theater raving about the big final fight.  That's not a bad thing per say, and I think Hawkeye handled things throughout well.  The fight choreography was better than most of the other MCU series and its climax was good-not-great instead of disappointing.  I think Marvel Studios is still kinda learning how to end a series; they through so many wrenches into their story gears there often seems like WAY too many things to wrap-up in the last hour.  Series like "The Sopranos" or other greats would often have a huge 'event' happen in the penultimate episode of the season to get the 'action' part out of the way, then spend the final hour of the season wrapping up the emotional stuff.  Marvel hasn't quite figured that all out yet, and their D+ shows often feel like half-hazard/rushed finales.  Again, not bad, but not as good as they could've been either.

I dug Hawkeye and I look forward to more Kate Bishop!