Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Open Registration  (Read 44194 times)

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
Re: SDCC 2020 Open Registration
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »
I just got really excited because I saw my Toucan feed update, psyke...
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 04:17:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not going to happen until the pros are approved or denied.
Datum: I received my pro-selection email last night, and I sent my application the week of the deadline ("first come, first reviewed"). They may have a stack of Maybes to evaluate, but they're finishing the big part of the process.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:47:42 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
The also used to go on sale on a random, unannounced date online.  I had done Pre-Registration for most years on-site (it was literally, like, $30-40 for 4-day w/PN if purchased on site).  Years I wouldn't have the cash to Pre-Reg on site and waited for online sales, you had to constantly be checking CCI's website to see if they were up for sale yet.  There were at least three benchmark dates where the prices would go up, so the earlier you bought the cheaper the event.  I'd get home from work, and think, "Oh; maybe I'll check CCI's site to see if badges are for sale yet" and one day they would be: with no fanfare or announcement.

Simpler times...

So if they didn't sell out on-site, they wouldn't have badges for sale right after the con?

Just curious.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
The also used to go on sale on a random, unannounced date online.  I had done Pre-Registration for most years on-site (it was literally, like, $30-40 for 4-day w/PN if purchased on site).  Years I wouldn't have the cash to Pre-Reg on site and waited for online sales, you had to constantly be checking CCI's website to see if they were up for sale yet.  There were at least three benchmark dates where the prices would go up, so the earlier you bought the cheaper the event.  I'd get home from work, and think, "Oh; maybe I'll check CCI's site to see if badges are for sale yet" and one day they would be: with no fanfare or announcement.

Simpler times...

And nice big head of cabbage used to cost just a nickel....The good old days... Wait now i just sound really old...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
So if they didn't sell out on-site, they wouldn't have badges for sale right after the con?

Just curious.

As far as I recall with the exception of the last year they sold on site, when they had moved sales to a hotel ballroom rather than Sails (it was literally right by where you picked up your badge, so you could buy your badge and walk to far side of badge-pickup to buy next year's), there was never any thought of it selling out.  I suspect at best the last few years they might've had a "cap," and they definitely had a cap the last year: they actually had TV screens that where once you got inside the ballroom you could track how much of each days' inventory was left at any given time (they sold out of each days' inventory within about 90 minutes each day that last year IIRC).  The other years they'd be on sale, and then the website would just start to sell them at a later date: not right after the Con.  IIRC, many years they wouldn't go live until after New Years.

There really wasn't a huge crush of "OMG I _HAVE_ to buy next year's badges right now!"  It felt more like a nice convenience, and for me, a local who doesn't have to worry about finances of airfare or hotels, it was a great cost-savings to get it early.  They stopped selling next-year's badges maybe a year or two after Comic-Con sold out in advance for the first time (goofy trivia: the first year it completely sold out in advance you could buy Sunday badges up to Saturday early afternoon, as my wife did - I think that might've been 2006 IIRC but I may be mistaken).

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
I really need an announcement today!!!

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »
As far as I recall with the exception of the last year they sold on site, when they had moved sales to a hotel ballroom rather than Sails (it was literally right by where you picked up your badge, so you could buy your badge and walk to far side of badge-pickup to buy next year's), there was never any thought of it selling out.  I suspect at best the last few years they might've had a "cap," and they definitely had a cap the last year: they actually had TV screens that where once you got inside the ballroom you could track how much of each days' inventory was left at any given time (they sold out of each days' inventory within about 90 minutes each day that last year IIRC).  The other years they'd be on sale, and then the website would just start to sell them at a later date: not right after the Con.  IIRC, many years they wouldn't go live until after New Years.

There really wasn't a huge crush of "OMG I _HAVE_ to buy next year's badges right now!"  It felt more like a nice convenience, and for me, a local who doesn't have to worry about finances of airfare or hotels, it was a great cost-savings to get it early.  They stopped selling next-year's badges maybe a year or two after Comic-Con sold out in advance for the first time (goofy trivia: the first year it completely sold out in advance you could buy Sunday badges up to Saturday early afternoon, as my wife did - I think that might've been 2006 IIRC but I may be mistaken).

Yup. Buying next year's badges was pretty much always one of the last things I did on Sunday. So 3-4pm rolls around, I'm like, hey, might as well buy badges for next year.

Regarding the TV screens showing badge inventory, I have a screencap of it: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing about that chart is it's reverse from what you expect. As inventory runs low, the indicators go UP, not down. That year, we were one of the last to get 4day + preview. We were lined up at 5:15am in front of Manchester Grand Hyatt (back before crazy overnight lines were a thing). And it was so nerve-wrecking standing in line and watching the inventory dwindle.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
Yup. Buying next year's badges was pretty much always one of the last things I did on Sunday. So 3-4pm rolls around, I'm like, hey, might as well buy badges for next year.

Regarding the TV screens showing badge inventory, I have a screencap of it: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing about that chart is it's reverse from what you expect. As inventory runs low, the indicators go UP, not down. That year, we were one of the last to get 4day + preview. We were lined up at 5:15am in front of Manchester Grand Hyatt (back before crazy overnight lines were a thing). And it was so nerve-wrecking standing in line and watching the inventory dwindle.

Love this History.

I stumbled on the youtube video about 2 years ago.  It's only 4 minutes long.  I'm sure you 'old timers' can relate.   :)

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
I have been waiting for the badge sale email today, then I realized I don't actually get one.  It's a good problem to have, I'll have to start paying attention to the toucan blog.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline lborgia88

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »

My first SDCC was the 2010 one, and I leisurely bought my 2011 badge in the sails, no worries.  It was at the 2011 SDCC, if I recall, that they first capped the numbers of 2012 badges being sold each day.  Many people who tried to get them on the Thursday couldn't.  I and others got in line for 2012 badges the next morning (by the harbor), but they capped out before we even got inside.  Panic!  This led to going out at 4am the next morning to get in the line for 2012 badges (was staying at the Hilton Bayfront, so easy to do) and then we were  successful!  I too remember the screens showing remaining badge availability but I can't remember if it was in the Manchester Hyatt or the Marriott Marquis -leaning towards the Hyatt on this. They didn't sell  any 2013 badges at the 2012 SDCC, and it's been online-only ever since.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 07:51:22 PM by lborgia88 »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 07:25:47 AM »

Yeah I remember my wife being not-too-happy, because I wanted to be in line around 4/4:30 but the parking garages didn't open until 5.  She was awesome & woke up super early, drove me the 20/25 minutes one-way to drop me off and then drove back home.  I was early enough to get $-day+PN, but it was stressful watching the inventory disappear!  IIRC I bought by badges, walked out, and then walked right into Hall H (LOOPER panel seems to tickle my memory?).
That was also the year that Member ID was first implemented.  People who Pre-Registered were the first to have to make a Member ID (I think there was a temporary one and then we had to create one later?).

2011 was the "missing link" transition year from old-school Comic-Con to the modern way of badge buying
I also remember the line starting earlier and earlier each day, with some people (IIRC) camping out overnight just for badges for next year. 

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
My first SDCC was the 2010 one, and I leisurely bought my 2011 badge in the sails, no worries.  It was at the 2011 SDCC, if I recall, that they first capped the numbers of 2012 badges being sold each day.  Many people who tried to get them on the Thursday couldn't.  I and others got in line for 2012 badges the next morning (by the harbor), but they capped out before we even got inside.  Panic!  This led to going out at 4am the next morning to get in the line for 2012 badges (was staying at the Hilton Bayfront, so easy to do) and then we were  successful!  I too remember the screens showing remaining badge availability but I can't remember if it was in the Manchester Hyatt or the Marriott Marquis -leaning towards the Hyatt on this. They didn't sell  any 2013 badges at the 2012 SDCC, and it's been online-only ever since.

Yes, this is how I remember things too.  Back around 88 and the early 90's I could just walk up to a booth to pre-reg for the next year's con and at most there would be 2 or 3 people ahead of me.  Then in the late 2000's, 2010 (?) there was an actual line... After the first online sale, I knew I had to find a better way.  I'd heard about this group and the rest is history for me.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »
Yes, this is how I remember things too.  Back around 88 and the early 90's I could just walk up to a booth to pre-reg for the next year's con and at most there would be 2 or 3 people ahead of me.  Then in the late 2000's, 2010 (?) there was an actual line... After the first online sale, I knew I had to find a better way.  I'd heard about this group and the rest is history for me.

My first SDCC was 2003. I came on a Saturday, and the line to buy badges went all the way out to Grand Hyatt. We were already in line for about an hour, and according to the staff, it would've been about another three hours to actually get in, but the staff was also saying "if you volunteer for three hours, you get in for free and you get in now", and so we jumped at the opportunity. Volunteer for three hours indoors vs. standing under the sun for three hours was not much of a decision at all. Bonus was we had by far the easiest volunteer job ever... every hour we just had to post new schedules taped to the walls across the con. The rest of the volunteer time we were free to do as we wished.

Offline pegleg1204

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »
I hope it is November 9.   And I also hope I can add Friday and Saturday to my days.   If I can't get preview night, that's ok because I haven't gotten it for the last few years, but I hate missing Friday and Saturday.

Offline darlenealderson

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
I'm no longer a pro, so I have to do open reg this year. Hopefully I'll luck out,