Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 17688 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: SDCC 2022 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Be aware that you've only taken the first step.  It's a multi-step process.

1) Sign up on the volunteer interest list. (This is where you are.)
2) Register to be a volunteer when registration opens up for people on the volunteer interest list.
3) Sign up for a shift at comic-con.

Once you're a registered volunteer, you are guaranteed to be able to work a shift a day during comic-con.  You schedule your shifts at Volunteer HQ during comic-con.

The only shift you can be assigned is the pre-con shift.  That's pretty much a separate process.  When you register to be a volunteer, there is the option to say you are interested in a pre-con shift.  A couple of weeks before comic-con, they send out an email to everyone on the pre-con shift interest list.  Then you register for that by noting what days and times you can work.  It's FIFO.  When pre-con shifts become available, they assign shifts to people based on first come first served.  If you want a pre-con shift, you'll have much better odds if you say you can work on any day at any time versus only on Monday between 2-6pm.

Regarding step 3. Do you go to Volunteer HQ on the day you want a shift and grab an assignment then, or do you go the day before? Does it change if you want an early pre-opening shift (like 6-7am)? If you want a shift everyday, do you have to go in everyday to pick an assignment, or can you go in once at the beginning and select all your assignments?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2022, 12:51:06 PM »
Regarding step 3. Do you go to Volunteer HQ on the day you want a shift and grab an assignment then, or do you go the day before? Does it change if you want an early pre-opening shift (like 6-7am)? If you want a shift everyday, do you have to go in everyday to pick an assignment, or can you go in once at the beginning and select all your assignments?

You can sign up for a shift the day before in the afternoon or evening.  So you can sign up the day before to save time.

You have to sign up for each shift separately.  So either on the day of or the day before.  You also have to wait a little bit after completing a shift before you can sign up for the next day's shift.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 06:20:07 AM »

Offline smiley424

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »
You can sign up for a shift the day before in the afternoon or evening.  So you can sign up the day before to save time.

You have to sign up for each shift separately.  So either on the day of or the day before.  You also have to wait a little bit after completing a shift before you can sign up for the next day's shift.

Unless it's changed, you sign up the day before for the next day, around 1pm or so IIRC.  If you have a specific time you want to volunteer, it behooves you to get to sign up as soon as they open to get your pick before slots start to fill up.
SDCC 2014
NYCC 2015
NYCC 2016
SDCC 2017
NYCC 2018
SDCC 2019
NYCC 2019
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2022, 07:31:50 PM »
I was going to make a comment about being surprised the Volunteer Interest list is still open, but then I looked up the 2019 Volunteer thread, and it seemed the Interest List was up for around 30 hours before it reached capacity. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes this time around.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2022, 07:50:21 AM »
I was going to make a comment about being surprised the Volunteer Interest list is still open, but then I looked up the 2019 Volunteer thread, and it seemed the Interest List was up for around 30 hours before it reached capacity. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes this time around.

Requesting all newbies to volunteering post their results from their submissions.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2022, 09:44:34 AM »
I volunteered once for SDCC many moons ago just to get a feel of the "other side" of the con, and it was a relatively fun, rewarding experience!  For those already w/badges but wanting to get back, I hope you get the shifts and jobs that you're best capable of; for those that are hoping for their last chance at SDCC badges, I hope the experience is all you hope for!

Good luck, all. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2022, 01:21:16 PM »

It hasn't been hard to become a volunteer for a while.  10 years ago it was really hard.  The interest list opened and closed in minutes.  Recently though, people have had plenty of time to sign up.  If anything, there has been a shortage of volunteers.  I forget whether it was in 2018 or 2019 but volunteers had to be recruited shortly before comic-con started through other means.

I thought the interest list wasn't going to open at all this year.  Since all the volunteers from 2020 could roll over to 2022.  But it seems not enough people rolled over.  Thus they need to sign up more volunteers.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
Any info? When do they tell you if you're in or out? The parking lottery is coming up and I want to know where I stand.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2022, 04:46:07 PM »
Any info? When do they tell you if you're in or out? The parking lottery is coming up and I want to know where I stand.

from the cci vol site
Once the Interest List has reached capacity, those on the Interest List will receive an email notification with the date and time that Comic-Con 2022 Daily Volunteer Registration will be available to them. Registration will remain open for the Interest List, as well as any unregistered returning volunteers, on a first-come, first-served basis until the program’s capacity is reached. At that time, the volunteer program will close and there will be no further opportunities to register to volunteer for Comic-Con 2022. Check this page frequently for updates about Interest List signups.

the returning daily vol's go first and say they will vol again this con
then the folks from the interest list will have an opportunity to say if they want to vol for the upcoming con.
I don't expect that process to be a short process, likely it'll take a month or so.
If you are accepted as a vol for this con, you will have the opportunity to volunteer all days Thurs-Sun.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:50:22 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2022, 07:00:42 PM »
If you volunteer for one day, do you only get a badge for that one day?

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2022, 07:05:15 PM »

Yes.

If your reason for volunteering is to get a badge for days you don't have a badge for, then you have to volunteer for a shift for each of those days.

There's nothing wrong with that.  People do it all the time.  It's just the reality.

On the flip side, if you have a badge for all days, you only have to volunteer for one (1) shift to qualify for returning volunteer next year.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:31:58 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2022, 11:25:53 PM »

It isn't time yet.  The interest list hasn't even closed.  Right now you are on the list of people they will notify when the second round of volunteer registration opens.  The second round is for new volunteers as well as returning volunteers that didn't register during the first round.  When you complete the registration process, then you will know right away that you are in.

As for your chances.  The interest list has been opened for 5 days and still hasn't reached it's target of signups.  Most returning volunteers should have signed up during the first round of volunteer registration.

The parking lottery isn't for another month.  Even if you are picked to be in the first group, you have a full week after that to complete the purchase.  There's plenty of time.

You do, except for the pre-con shift.  By completing the pre-con shift you have a free badge for any day of your choosing.  You definitely want to do that to maximize con time.  Another way to maximize prime time con time is to do early morning or late night shifts.  There are shifts that happen after the panels and exhibit hall close for the day.  Which especially makes sense for Sunday since it's an early close.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:50:49 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2022, 07:50:59 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I'm grasping at straws to keep my 30 + year streak of attending intact.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I'm grasping at straws to keep my 30 + year streak of attending intact.
I do one shift a con just so I have the guarantee of attending the following year. I hear you.

It should work out for you. The critical thing you need to do is apply to be a volunteer as soon as they open it up to your group. That will happen after all the returning volunteers have applied. You should have notice but that also means there may be computer glitches.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »

I think your chances are good to be a volunteer.  Another avenue is to keep an eye on the official SDCC ebay account for badge sales.

"Comic-Con 2022 will return to the San Diego Convention Center on July 21 - 24! All badges for Comic-Con 2022 have been sold. As was done in 2019, canceled and returned Comic-Con 2022 badges may be made available to the general public through a badge auction to help raise funds for the Comic-Con Museum at a later date."

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:22:12 PM by chocolateshake »