Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 17693 times)

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
Re: SDCC 2022 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2022, 06:12:01 AM »
My volunteer shift was processing volunteer c cards, the badges you got while you were volunteering and that you turned into your supervisor after the shift. They rate you from 1 to 5 stars, and I scanned those badges and put in your rating. After it gets put into the system, it would have shown that you completed a volunteer shift. I was able to see my own c card get scanned, and the next day I was able to go to the volunteer area to confirm my completed shift and get my pin (I couldn’t go right away because I did a pre-con shift so the pin table wasn’t there yet when I was done).

They don’t tell you the pin procedure (at least they didn’t tell me), but it was in the volunteer paperwork.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2022, 06:38:53 AM »
I didn't get my pin until the third day. They didn't say anything about it when checking in. I finally saw the pin station, but nobody was there.  Someone made a stink, and a supervisor came over and started scanning badges and giving them out.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 09:47:21 AM »

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't get my pin until the third day. They didn't say anything about it when checking in. I finally saw the pin station, but nobody was there.  Someone made a stink, and a supervisor came over and started scanning badges and giving them out.
where exactly was the pin station?
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
My shift was 'manning' the small press room (I assume it was small press) in the convention center.  I just had to verify their badge said press or that they had a green press ribbon attached to their badge.  Security and staff were also allowed in the room.  I thought the room was well set up.  They also had access to coffee and pastries. It was an easy shift. for the first 2 hours, I had a partner.  He started at 9.  My shift started at 10.  He was very friendly, so we chatted.  He got to leave around 12, so I was on the door by myself for a little bit.  Then my relief came, and he said the supervisor told him to tell me I could leave early.  The supervisor was a sweetheart (I wish I could remember her name).

As my shift was outside the door right by one of the escalators, every once in a while, an attendee would ask me a question about the location of a room.  I felt good that I knew enough about the convention center that I could give them a good answer.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2022, 09:20:28 AM »
No one gave me my volunteer pin. But luckily I saw a stack of them on the table, so I nabbed one on the way out.
Oh, Okay, uh, I wasn't told to go back to verify my status. I was told to just hand in the badge and that was that. Since I already had a 4-day badge, I didn't need to go back to get a day badge of my choosing.

How to get the pin, and thus verify that your shift was recorded properly, was in the volunteer orientation packet you got when you registered to be a volunteer.  If you had asked for a pin instead of nabbing one, then you would have found out then.  That's the reason it works this way.  It's a check to make sure your c card got recorded properly.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2022, 09:21:08 AM »
where exactly was the pin station?

It was in the same room as Volunteer registration!
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »
It was in the same room as Volunteer registration!
thanks

a pin would have been nice, but that is what i get for not reading all of the paperwork.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »
How to get the pin, and thus verify that your shift was recorded properly, was in the volunteer orientation packet you got when you registered to be a volunteer.  If you had asked for a pin instead of nabbing one, then you would have found out then.  That's the reason it works this way.  It's a check to make sure your c card got recorded properly.

Are you referring to the online form that was linked in the email titled "Comic-Con 2022 Daily Volunteer Badge Confirmation"? There is this line:

IMPORTANT: You will get a ticket with the location and time of your assignment. Make sure you turn in this ticket to your supervisor at the department to which you are assigned to volunteer. If you do not, you will not get credit for that assignment.

Other than that, I got no other packets or forms when I checked in. When I turned in my ticket, the supervisor was slightly confused as to what it was. In fact, she asked me what she needed to do. So I told her she just needed to turn the ticket back to the volunteer office.

The whole volunteer thing was a bit of a mess. As I mentioned elsewhere, the system crashed while I was checking in. They had to reprint my badge 3x before the barcode would work. And they didn't give me the plastic holder with the RFID sticker, so I had trouble getting through the security gate. Luckily, the volunteer guide who led us to our assignment got me through.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2022, 11:21:38 AM »
Are you referring to the online form that was linked in the email titled "Comic-Con 2022 Daily Volunteer Badge Confirmation"? There is this line:

Other than that, I got no other packets or forms when I checked in. When I turned in my ticket, the supervisor was slightly confused as to what it was. In fact, she asked me what she needed to do. So I told her she just needed to turn the ticket back to the volunteer office.

Read the very next paragraph of what you quoted.  The paragraph starting with "Thank you!".  It's instructions on how to get your pin ticket validated and thus confirmation that your c card was properly recorded.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2022, 11:42:38 AM »
Read the very next paragraph of what you quoted.  The paragraph starting with "Thank you!".  It's instructions on how to get your pin ticket validated and thus confirmation that your c card was properly recorded.

Thank You! To show our appreciation for dedicated volunteers, once you have completed an
assignment you are eligible for the special Comic-Con 2022 volunteer pin! You will get a pin
ticket with your badge and information on where and when to get your pin. This ticket is invalid
by itself and must be validated by Daily Volunteer Department staff at the validation desk in
order for you to get a pin. After you have completed your first assignment you may get your
validation from the desk and get your collectable “thank you” from all of us at Comic-Con. We
are grateful for your support of Comic-Con! We hope that you will enjoy volunteering your time
with us and being part of the huge effort it takes to put on a convention like Comic-Con"

This is what I see when I pulled up the volunteer info.  I have to say I didn't read all that.  I can't really say this is what I went by when I went for my pin.  I may have heard an announcement when I was on line for my next day's assignment.  I will say the instructions are a little confusing (IMO), but it does imply you need to go back to Volunteer HQ at some point.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
It’s so easy to get your pin this year compared to the tshirt hike. I like that they have the pin pickup table at the volunteer registration area. They scan your badge to make sure you did a shift, put a sticker on your badge and give you your pin!

Oh, one question: is there a way to verify that your shift got properly logged into their system. ie, the badge you handed to the supervisor at the end of the shift wasn't lost in transit or something.

Email [email protected] !

thanks

a pin would have been nice, but that is what i get for not reading all of the paperwork.

We had @debster 's post as well!  The packet info still available under Member ID.

I think Volunteers would have still needed to wait a few hours after the shift?  To allow time to upload the volunteer rating into the system prior to pin retrieval?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:05:47 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2022, 12:11:02 PM »
I think Volunteers would have still needed to wait a few hours after the shift?  To allow time to upload the volunteer rating into the system prior to pin retrieval?

That's the 2 hour rule.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2022, 02:04:43 PM »

Yes, while I had the volunteer job of a c card scanner, the volunteer job of a c card runner was to go all around the convention collecting the c cards, which they then brought back to the scanners so they could put the c cards in the system. I did not envy their job.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2022, 02:22:31 PM »
I didn't get a pin "ticket". They just scanned my badge to make sure I hadn't already got one. Then they put a red sticker on my badge. The pin desk was in the holding area before they led you to your assignment. It even had a sign.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2022, 03:57:50 PM »
So because I was paranoid that my volunteer assignment didn't get logged properly (because I did not go back to Volunteer HQ after my shift), I emailed SDCC last week just to verify, and they responded just now that yup, they logged my shift and I'm good to go for registering for Returning Volunteers for next year.