Author Topic: CCI member ID changes coming our way in 2022  (Read 11680 times)

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: CCI member ID changes coming our way in 2022
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
At first, I was inclined to agree with you, but...

If we're talking Hall-H, if I remember correctly, those people who 'cut' do get wrist bands, and are entitled to the spot that is being held for them.  By that, I mean once the line starts moving, wrist bands are checked.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
So getting a bracelet at 7pm, disappearing for 12+ hours and jumping back in line with the one person that waited later makes them deserve to get in?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2022, 08:21:49 PM »
So getting a bracelet at 7pm, disappearing for 12+ hours and jumping back in line with the one person that waited later makes them deserve to get in?

Yes, CCI has determined that people can choose who is in line for their group.  How they choose to balance that is the group's decision.  This helps people enjoy other parts of the con, get something to eat, go to the bathroom, sleep in an overpriced hotel bed.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:45:29 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2022, 08:24:07 PM »
At first, I was inclined to agree with you, but...

If we're talking Hall-H, if I remember correctly, those people who 'cut' do get wrist bands, and are entitled to the spot that is being held for them.  By that, I mean once the line starts moving, wrist bands are checked.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO getting a wristband alone shouldn't entitle anyone to a spot.  Since someone can get a wristband and then leave for hours.  That's not standing in line.  If that's the sole barrier to entry, then I don't see how that's much different from a lottery.  Standing in line means standing in line.  There shouldn't be holds.  The wristband could be used to prove that.  Have wristband checks more often.  Miss a couple of checks, then you are disqualified.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2022, 08:31:04 PM »
Yes, CCI has determined that people can choose who is in line for their group.  How they choose to balance that is the group's decision.  This helps people enjoy other parts of the con, get something to eat, go to the bathroom, sleep in an overpriced hotel bed.

And that's why I said I think the rules should change.  Since the current system doesn't reward the people willing to put in the most effort.  It's one thing to take a bathroom break or go get some food.  It's another to disappear for hours to do whatever.  That doesn't reward the people most willing to put in the time.  If that's not the case, then why not just have a lottery.  A lottery would be more fair than the current system.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »

So it's been so long since we've had a Con, that memory gets rusty.

People that wait on line for a wrist band "wait on line".  There's no getting a wrist band at 7 pm, as they don't give out wrist bands for the next day's panel, until late the night before. 

There are people that get on line for a wrist band on Thursday so that they can get into Hall-H for the (hopefully) big Marvel Saturday panel.  Then, I think, they have to wait until the next day until they give out the wrist bands for the Saturday panel, because they don't give out the wrist bands until Friday night, and it's later than 7 pm, and you have to be on the line to get the wrist band.  There's no getting a wrist band for your friends. So we're talking being on line a minimum of 12 hours just to get the wrist band, if you're goal is the Saturday panel.  Once they obtain their wrist bands, they then decide if they're going to stay on line over night, or leave the line.  If they leave the line, and they're not working with a group, they then have to get on the line to get into Hall-H the next day BEFORE 7:00 AM, in order for them to get into Hall-H for the first panel.  That's the gist of the system.  Anybody can do this.  The limit is the number of seats in Hall-H.  Those people that work with a group are probably more interested in getting seats in the front.  I did this once for a Friday panel working by myself. Got on line Thursday night, got my wrist band (late), left the line, slept in my over priced hotel room  :), got on line the next morning before the deadline, and got into the first panel, which is the only one I was interested in.

If I got anything wrong, let me know.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »
No one has to wait in line a minimum of 12 hours.  You could have one person wait in line till its time to hand out bracelets, then a group of 10 come jump in line with him right before they are handed out.  Once they are handed out they all leave again and then join in the morning when it's time to go in.  Oh yeah and there are literally companies where you can hire people to be the person sitting in the line for you.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:06 AM »
Oh yeah and there are literally companies where you can hire people to be the person sitting in the line for you.

Which is another reason why I don't like the current system.  Why can't I just walk up to the front of the line and pay the person there $200 to be part of their group?  Why couldn't I do that in every line and then I can have the pick of the panels depending on how I feel at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:00:01 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 10:38:36 AM »
There is one more step, besides the wristband, they added the badge scan in 2018 or 2019.
And in 2019 they stopped letting you line up 2 nights in advance; the Saturday Hall H line started I think it was around 5am Friday. 

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »
No one has to wait in line a minimum of 12 hours.  You could have one person wait in line till its time to hand out bracelets, then a group of 10 come jump in line with him right before they are handed out.  Once they are handed out they all leave again and then join in the morning when it's time to go in.  Oh yeah and there are literally companies where you can hire people to be the person sitting in the line for you.

I could sort of see this is possible, but that would require knowing what moment they get to you to give out the wrist band.  I guess you could text everyone in your  group, but you'd have to time it perfectly.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
There is one more step, besides the wristband, they added the badge scan in 2018 or 2019.
And in 2019 they stopped letting you line up 2 nights in advance; the Saturday Hall H line started I think it was around 5am Friday.

They messed us up in 2019. They told us they wouldn't let us line up until a certain time, but when we got there, it turns out people had been lined up for hours. Because there were so many people there, they let them line up. If we had known, we'd have come much sooner. I think if they say they won't let people line up, they shouldn't let people line up.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2022, 11:28:11 AM »
I could sort of see this is possible, but that would require knowing what moment they get to you to give out the wrist band.  I guess you could text everyone in your  group, but you'd have to time it perfectly.
Its not that hard to do. Sdcc usually let's people know when they start handing out wristbands so the rest of the group just shows up like 15 minutes before that time.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »
They messed us up in 2019. They told us they wouldn't let us line up until a certain time, but when we got there, it turns out people had been lined up for hours. Because there were so many people there, they let them line up. If we had known, we'd have come much sooner. I think if they say they won't let people line up, they shouldn't let people line up.

In 2019 or 2018?  2019 I thought they were pretty strict about stuff.  And for Saturday, I was there when the guy came down with the flag Friday morning with an army of blinkeys, chose one random guy in a DC shirt to be the front of the line and then the rest of the line formed fairly orderly because the blinkeys only let one person through at a time.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2022, 12:33:51 PM »

Unless they start popping out of the crowd raptor style, there's plenty of time to see them coming down the line.

Offline IanCar

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2022, 03:27:25 PM »
Of course it will open up the opportunity to new people. But why should new people get the upper hand over people willing to stand in line for the panels?

At any rate I doubt there will be many 'big panels' for 2022.  There weren't many big ones for 2019, the 50th anniversary at that. I see a lot of studios waiting to see how the covid situation continues. Tv series panels most likely but which are even the big tv series panels going in to 2022 with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones done. The Witcher I suppose.
I don't think Disney will have much of a presence.

Besides the 50th panel, MCU had a Hall H Panel in 2019. I'd assume Marvel would be back for 2022 if we're in a better spot with covid. I'd assume 20th-century/Disney would be at SDCC as well for Avatar 2. On TV Side, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has a Hall H panel for the new Lord of the Rings show in September. Possible HBO Max with the new Game of Thrones show "House of Dragon", just depends on when that show is released. Lastly, Sony has Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse Part 1 coming in October (First one had a Hall H panel in 2018). Other than those, would be interesting to see who has a Hall H Panel (Netflix/WB/DC?/Paramount).

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2022, 01:12:44 PM »
What if said person waited in line from 7am-7pm, then their buddy took a turn from 7pm-7am?  I mean, waiting in a stupid long line is still waiting.  If others haven't figured out line groups or whatnot by now, that's their problem IMO.  I attend Hall H at least once a year, often on Saturdays, and sometimes Fridays & Saturdays.  I waited in line overnight exactly once, with many years asking the person in front or behind me to hold my place overnight so I could take my (at the time) youngish kid home; then I figured out the 'line buddy/group' thing and it makes for a MUCH more manageable SDCC experience.  Imagine being able to attend other panels the day before a Hall H or Ballroom 20 panel you also want to attend!  :P  Not only that, but I've met a lot of really great people over the years in the group who help each other out throughout the week (buying exclusives, giving head's up on stuff like "Gail Simone is about to do a signing in Artists' Alley"). 

Not to mention that fact that no one really wants 7k Hall H folks + 7k + 2700 folks + another 5-10k folks all waiting overnight on sidewalks: the lune group stuff minimizes this and makes most happy.

To be blunt, though, it's absolutely stupid nowadays for there to not be an 'overflow' area of Hall H and Ballroom 20 panels: complete with Q&A's and all footage.  I think recently only Marvel Studios in Hall H at least are the only ones who still keep their footage exclusive, while nearly everyone else releases their footage online either simultaneously or immediately after Hall H showing.