Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration  (Read 24687 times)

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
Re: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2022, 09:34:52 AM »
What the heck?! I JUST found out about hotelpocalypse five minutes ago! Would have been nice to reopen pro registration before the hotel sale.....I didn't even get the email about it. This pisses me off.

Offline sin86a

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »
I'm not sure they're going to re-open pro reg before the 2023 con. I asked CCI a few months ago and they were pretty adamant that if you didn't have a confirmed 2019 registration, that you wouldn't be able to attend this summer.

Hard to say what they're doing, but I hope anyone waiting is still able to go.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 05:11:18 AM »

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login update from a couple weeks ago.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
UPDATE ON PRO BADGES
Full details on their website
ALL “Not Due” professionals, including those who last verified in 2019, will have one additional year added to their verification, beyond the one year that we initially granted in 2020 due to our first canceled slate of shows.  This update will not be viewable in our database until after WonderCon 2022, but it does allow those affected to attend WonderCon if they wish – see the next point for details!

For WonderCon 2022, this means that many of you who had previously been listed as “Due” and were ineligible to register for our upcoming show may now join us as we come together in Anaheim, CA, from April 1-3.  If you are affected by this, you will receive a separate email with instructions on registering your WonderCon 2022 badge and guest badges.

For Comic-Con 2022, we had previously stated that only those who registered a professional badge for Comic-Con 2020, and had their badge roll over to 2022, would be able to attend as professionals.  However, due to the loosening of COVID-19 safety restrictions and increased capacity, we are pleased to announce that we will be able to accommodate additional professionals at Comic-Con 2022! This will be open to all “Not Due” professionals who have not already registered.  Badge pricing and guest allotments will remain the same as your pricing and allotment for Comic-Con 2020 badges.  More details on when and how to register these badges will be provided in the months between WonderCon and Comic-Con 2022.  Please watch your email, as well as this website, for more information as it becomes available.  Note that this applies only to professional badges, and we do not anticipate any additional attendee badge sales for Comic-Con 2022.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2022, 12:40:21 PM »
Not to be a negative nancy or stir up pot, so to speak, but this verbiage is interesting: 
we are pleased to announce that we will be able to accommodate additional professionals at Comic-Con 2022!
This COULD read that they'll accommodate some Pros, but maybe can't accommodate ALL Pros.  It would make sense that there's a "pecking order," so to speak, of what type of Pros to accommodate given CCI"s mission/objectives.  I would think (and have no ill feelings) that Education Pros would be at the bottom of that list while Creative Pros would be at the top. So _maybe_ CCI is going through emails/requests individually and accommodating whom they can.

Of course, it also feels incredibly plausible that they knew they had to get the Hotel Lotto information up-and-running ASAP given how late things are (Preview Night is 12 Weeks from yesterday) and will deal with what is likely a small amount of Pros who didn't purchase badges before the world shutdown but still want to attend (if I'm thinking nefarious, I'd also guess Option 3 is CCI may be planning to run-out-the-clock, so to speak, where Pros who didn't purchase badges by the time the world shut down in winter 2020 will not be able to make plans after CCI accommodates them at a late time).

Again, I suspect the most likely answer is CCI is a mom & pop Non-Profit with a lot on their plate & a short time to do it; if they can accommodate all Pros they will, even if that means they get taken care of AFTER the larger aspects of running the con get taken care of first.  With the hotel lotto out of the way now, they'll have a little bit of breathing room to focus on Pros & other important items (Hi Pre-paid Parking)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2022, 01:42:09 PM »
However, due to the loosening of COVID-19 safety restrictions and increased capacity

I think this is just another indication that there have been more badge refunds then have been believed.  There's still a few days left to request a refund.

Offline PatrickG

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »
I think this is just another indication that there have been more badge refunds then have been believed.  There's still a few days left to request a refund.

What kind or category of pro badge requires you to pay for the badge?

I'd imagine few people with free badges would seek refunds, even if not attending.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2022, 04:15:41 PM »

I'd imagine few people with free badges would seek refunds, even if not attending.

It's not a matter of pro badges being cancelled.  It's a matter of paid badges being cancelled.  Whether it's a paid badge or a comp badge, it's still a person taking up space.  There's a limited amount of space.  That governs capacity.  Paid badges being refunded open up capacity.  Capacity that can now be filled by issuing new paid and comp badges.  This announcement compliments the announcement about selling badges on ebay.

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2022, 08:49:58 PM »
Not to be a negative nancy or stir up pot, so to speak, but this verbiage is interesting:  This COULD read that they'll accommodate some Pros, but maybe can't accommodate ALL Pros.  It would make sense that there's a "pecking order," so to speak, of what type of Pros to accommodate given CCI"s mission/objectives.  I would think (and have no ill feelings) that Education Pros would be at the bottom of that list while Creative Pros would be at the top. So _maybe_ CCI is going through emails/requests individually and accommodating whom they can.

Except that they added: This will be open to all “Not Due” professionals who have not already registered.
So someone like me who is still "Not Due" until Aug. 2023 but wasn't able to register for 2020 before the cancelation, I will be able to participate in the forthcoming ProReg.

I'll add for context that I'm a 'Trade Professional', so I pay for the badge.

Cheers,
~S

Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline PatrickG

• Freebie Table
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2022, 08:50:32 AM »
Except that they added: This will be open to all “Not Due” professionals who have not already registered.
So someone like me who is still "Not Due" until Aug. 2023 but wasn't able to register for 2020 before the cancelation, I will be able to participate in the forthcoming ProReg.

I'll add for context that I'm a 'Trade Professional', so I pay for the badge.

Cheers,
~S

One thing that bugs me a bit.

In 2020, I was planning on going alone. They pulled forward my registration this way.

This year, I'll be attending with a family member.

I can't get him a guest pass because I'm already registered whereas had I not registered in 2020 at all, I'd be able to try for a guest pass in the upcoming pro-reg.

It's okay I guess because my family member plans to see the city this year although it feels a bit unfair that I can't grt a guess pass and someone who didn't register at all in 2020 can do so.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »
One thing that bugs me a bit.

In 2020, I was planning on going alone. They pulled forward my registration this way.

This year, I'll be attending with a family member.

I can't get him a guest pass because I'm already registered whereas had I not registered in 2020 at all, I'd be able to try for a guest pass in the upcoming pro-reg.

It's okay I guess because my family member plans to see the city this year although it feels a bit unfair that I can't grt a guess pass and someone who didn't register at all in 2020 can do so.

Doesn't really bug me too much, but had similar thoughts. It's like I gave up the option to bring a guest by carrying my registration forward.

Offline MsButtaskotch

• Room 6BCF
  • 80s Baby. 90s Girl. 2K Adult = Certified Awesome
    • Crimson Charm Publishing
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2022, 07:30:11 AM »

Previous to 2019, the pro category was separated between creative and trade pros. Most creative pros didn't pay but trade pros did. Then they did away with it and meshed all pros into one. You didn't know if you had to pay until your badges dropped in your account and there was a price. My first time paying as a pro was 2019 but that could also be due to when i reverifed in 2019, iredid as a writer/ author and not publisher, seeing as how the author i was working to publish, i dropped him, which puts me into trade pro category, I'm thinking.  So my prostatus changed. Somewhat. Others didn't.

Maybe some pros returned badges because some still don't feel comfy traveling just yet or maybe some didn't financially catch back up yet and this expense isn't feasible. I know i had to shut my site down in 2020 because once covid hit my 9 to 5 ramped up our hours and we were just in go mode trying to save the world delivering smiles and packages 🙄. I could not find the time to do side manuscript work and just shut it down with plans to bring it back this summer..

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 07:32:54 AM by MsButtaskotch »

Offline seabisquick

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2022, 09:27:14 AM »
Didn’t they cancel Comic con 2020 before they actually had the pro badge reg day that year? 

Offline sin86a

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2022, 09:29:49 AM »
No they had pro reg that year. it's how most of us have a badge that rolled over. I think the gripe is that by doing so, some of us forfeited the option of having guests. Or guests changed, etc.

Offline PatrickG

• Freebie Table
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2022, 10:35:07 AM »
No they had pro reg that year. it's how most of us have a badge that rolled over. I think the gripe is that by doing so, some of us forfeited the option of having guests. Or guests changed, etc.
I got a reply from Comic-Con saying I'd be able to add guests during pro-reg. We'll see.

Changing guests might take an e-mail.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »
Didn’t they cancel Comic con 2020 before they actually had the pro badge reg day that year?
They cancelled before the Pro reg deadline.