Author Topic: 2022 Badge Sale  (Read 5865 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: 2022 Badge Sale
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 01:09:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What do you mean another refund option. The site says you can still do a refund until May 1 2022

Sorry about that.  I didn't do my research.   :)

So, we might know something after May 1, 2022. 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 11:28:21 PM »
At the Wondercon Talk Back David Glanzer cracked open the door of a possible sale of 2022 tickets.  The President, Robin Dolan, sort of corrected him to say there wouldn't be a sale.  It was almost as if he 'forgot' that they've said there won't be a sale for 2022.  Yes, technically the show is sold out.  This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the only way they have another sale for 2022 is if they offer another refund option.  Just my speculation.

IMO, it's telling that he says it's "technically sold out".  What happens a lot of the time when a statement is couched that way?  It's followed up with a "but".

What do you mean another refund option. The site says you can still do a refund until May 1 2022

That's what I think they are waiting for.  The refund period hasn't even closed yet.  They still don't know how many cancellations they will have.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:44:49 PM »

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2022, 03:14:43 PM »
It would be interesting if they decide to do a refund sale like from years past but it could also be nice to have a smaller attendance level?  Covid being a thing still as a reason and also just in general, no insane lines for panels? (a girl can dream?)  I also wouldn't mind, for purely selfish reasons, if they did like a resale for people already with badges to fill up their days.  Like, my group is missing Saturday, we can buy Saturday. 

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »
Of all times for them to have a resale.. I don't know why or how they aren't *this* year. Surely there are enough refunds in the last 2 years to warrant a proper leftover sale instead of an auction?

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2022, 03:37:02 PM »
To the above point, they might not and consider that a way to have a "smaller" scale attend...it'd be an easy way to have the numbers lessen w/o doing any extra work.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2022, 04:07:39 PM »
To the above point, they might not and consider that a way to have a "smaller" scale attend...it'd be an easy way to have the numbers lessen w/o doing any extra work.

While those of us attending won't mind less crowds, I just figured it'd be a financial benefit considering their disposition

Online sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
I’d be shocked if they had a refund rate above 1%.  There’s still a cost to doing a badge sale.  The marginal benefit may not be worthwhile.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2022, 04:19:43 PM »
While those of us attending won't mind less crowds, I just figured it'd be a financial benefit considering their disposition
It's an interesting situation. I mean, I can see that that's why they did TurkeyCon...I remember reading on the board here somewhere that CCI had funds to miss a con for one year, but not two, so TC helped them start putting money back in the coffers.

This year's gonna be so weird...not just for the obvious reasons, but how CCI will adapt and pull off a show of this magnitude.  This has always been the bar to be measured by, so I'm very interested in how they respond.

This year, prolly more than all others, warrants hitting the Talkback session on Sunday.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2022, 07:00:30 PM »
Covid being a thing still as a reason and also just in general, no insane lines for panels? (a girl can dream?)

But that would also probably mean there won't be panels to justify insane lines.  Look at Turkeycon.  No insane lines because there were no panels worth an insane line.

I think SDCC needs to come back with a bang.  This con will make a statement.  I don't think they want that statement to be low attendance.  Especially coming off of Turkeycon.  Remember when it was first announced that we were warned that there would be more people who wanted to attend then they could accommodate.  In the end, it was the opposite of that.  Supply exceeded demand.

I’d be shocked if they had a refund rate above 1%.  There’s still a cost to doing a badge sale.  The marginal benefit may not be worthwhile.

I'd be shocked if it was only 1%.  David Glazner's statement doesn't seem to line up with that.  Why would they be considering it if it wasn't already high enough to be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 07:08:11 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 08:06:34 PM »
But that would also probably mean there won't be panels to justify insane lines.  Look at Turkeycon.  No insane lines because there were no panels worth an insane line.

I think SDCC needs to come back with a bang.  This con will make a statement.  I don't think they want that statement to be low attendance.  Especially coming off of Turkeycon.  Remember when it was first announced that we were warned that there would be more people who wanted to attend then they could accommodate.  In the end, it was the opposite of that.  Supply exceeded demand.

I'd be shocked if it was only 1%.  David Glazner's statement doesn't seem to line up with that.  Why would they be considering it if it wasn't already high enough to be worthwhile.
A very good point.  Wanting that buzz, having that big grand scale they had in the before times and almost being a benchmark to people of "things going back to normal" so to speak.  Cons everywhere having been going full force, so why can't they?

But also to that measure, they used to have very big and successful panels that didn't have the long lines and staying overnight (I mean, these were also the years of buying the badges for next year at the con).  But, one year... it just escalated and the hype machine happened and it just feels like the studios latched on because they could get the buzz and turn the hyperbole that is SDCC into what it is.

In the end, its tough to say if CCI wants that again, or at least a little bit of it given the times.  We're not them xD  I sadly didn't pay much attention to TurkeyCon but that was also during a spike... maybe the studios themselves didn't want to risk it which is why they didn't bring anything, or they didn't have anything, or it was really soon, or the poor timing since it was a massive American holiday.  The studios and anyone bringing something to SDCC this year could still have apprehensions, they don't want to be a headline that they caused another spike or they are willing to risk it.  Or the studios could also be like now, hey we can release stuff on our own without these cons (looks at E3, it dead).

Again, a slightly smaller con attendance could be nice like back in the day where you felt you could do stuff without sleeping overnight (after spending so much on a hotel xD) while having interesting things to actually do which also makes SDCC what it is.  A little having cake and eating it too? Maybe.  Wishful thinking for the most part and we'll see what they do in the coming months.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2022, 01:28:24 AM »
It would be interesting if they decide to do a refund sale like from years past but it could also be nice to have a smaller attendance level?  Covid being a thing still as a reason and also just in general, no insane lines for panels? (a girl can dream?)  I also wouldn't mind, for purely selfish reasons, if they did like a resale for people already with badges to fill up their days.  Like, my group is missing Saturday, we can buy Saturday.

I really like the fill in days sale idea!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2022, 08:30:11 AM »
This year, prolly more than all others, warrants hitting the Talkback session on Sunday.
I'm sure there will be recording of it too. I know I will be recording it.
all tho, they do actively listen to constructive suggestions and folks are able to fully flush out the idea/suggestion.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2022, 11:49:35 AM »
If they're trying to get as much as they can, they'll probably sell some of eBay again, which I hope they don't.
I'll be selfish too and hope that if they offer more days, it'll only be for current attendees only. Best to offer days to those who are already attending than to bring in more people who are not. All the badges will sell regardless.
Anyways, to my surprise I found out the other day that we have Fri and Sat badges. We've been under the impression that we had Fri and Sunday for almost 2 years aha

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Just saw this on the badge info page:

As was done in 2019, canceled and returned Comic-Con 2022 badges may be made available to the general public through a badge auction to help raise funds for the Comic-Con Museum at a later date. 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2022, 08:13:40 AM »
Even if 10% of people ended up getting refunds think we will actually be able to tell any difference at the con?