Author Topic: SDCC 2023 Returning Registration to be held Saturday, October 15  (Read 18016 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC 2023 Returning Registration to be held Saturday, October 15
« Reply #435 on: October 19, 2022, 08:56:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This post really confuses me;  Returning Registration is not open to Pros. It is detailed in the announcements and FAQs. You wouldn't have had the qualification flag in the upper left of your profile when you logged in pre-sale.

Had you gotten through (once your walking man reached the front), I'm pretty sure you would have been rejected once you tried to log in.
This is correct.
HOWEVER, for almost the entire 20+ years I've been attending Comic-Con I've gone on Sundays with a good friend and his son (who's close to the same age as my oldest kid).  I've bought their Sunday badge every single year, including creating and maintaining their own CCI Membership ID's w/an email that I created specifically for that purpose.  So while I could not participate w/my Membership ID, I was prepared to participate with either one of theirs had I gotten through (in order to help out the badge-buying group).

I didn't include any of that since I realize I typically am a bit too verbose as it is with posts (and emails...), so I figured I'd cut out the backstory.  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #436 on: October 19, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »
Two fairy tales I always believe in while buying Comic Con tickets.
1.) They have one Comic Con ID attached to one queue position as they randomized.
2.) They will never cart jack you while making your purchase given that 15 min period.

Guess just have to live and adjust for open reg. I was still able to get Thursday and Sunday but I will be renting out a computer lab with 50 desk top computer during the next sale. More is better.  >:D I will also be asking every friends and family I humanly know to log on to their devices. Open Reg Is going to be fun…..

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #437 on: October 19, 2022, 02:54:06 PM »
Two fairy tales I always believe in while buying Comic Con tickets.
1.) They have one Comic Con ID attached to one queue position as they randomized.
2.) They will never cart jack you while making your purchase given that 15 min period.

Guess just have to live and adjust for open reg. I was still able to get Thursday and Sunday but I will be renting out a computer lab with 50 desk top computer during the next sale. More is better.  >:D I will also be asking every friends and family I humanly know to log on to their devices. Open Reg Is going to be fun…..

It's much easier and cheaper setting up 10 VMs and run it from one or two physical machines for Open Reg.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:57:39 PM by f22raptor »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #438 on: October 19, 2022, 03:02:43 PM »
Is it bad that I'm still hoping they'll fix the Queue-it system and require a member ID to be logged in to get access to the waiting room so the wait times won't be too ridiculous? (Like they seemed to have intended to do for returning registration, but the website crashed... Ha ha. XD)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #439 on: October 19, 2022, 03:20:23 PM »
I am also hoping that they are able to implement this. We need to have some way to limit the number of people actually in the waiting room.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #440 on: October 19, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »
I am also hoping that they are able to implement this. We need to have some way to limit the number of people actually in the waiting room.
Unfortunately, this is the biggest challenge.

Queue-It is what's used to handle the load to a targeted page. Most often this is used, as an example, to manage the traffic going to that particular page...think Hotelpocalypse.  Of particular note is that Hotelpocalypse also doesn't require a login.

In order for Configio to be able to manage the load of logging in, the Queue-It queue would have to come *before* logging in.  I don't see that happening.

I think it'll change next RetReg much like it was in the olden days...everyone will get their own unique link.  That'll help w/the logging in challenge, and we'll be told, as before, to not share. Then it'll work as in prior years.

If they (Configio) are trying to do the whole log in first...that's gonna be the big challenge.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #441 on: October 19, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »
While logging into the comic con website. I notice there is an individual account ID attached to it. Why can’t they just leverage that instead of having Queue It generate A Queue ID every time you open a new session? This ID is not even in  million. It’s around  hundreds of  thousand which looks like the correct scope. Most sites should be  able handle that range.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:04:10 PM by ALF »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #442 on: October 19, 2022, 08:59:35 PM »
It's much easier and cheaper setting up 10 VMs and run it from one or two physical machines for Open Reg.  Good luck!

It's even easier to run multiple browser instances.  Each instance is independent.  Even a modest computer should be able to run quite a few.

Offline Eric_Draven66

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #443 on: October 19, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »
Is it bad that I'm still hoping they'll fix the Queue-it system and require a member ID to be logged in to get access to the waiting room so the wait times won't be too ridiculous? (Like they seemed to have intended to do for returning registration, but the website crashed... Ha ha. XD)

Im sure this will be the case, it did seem like that was the plan but because of the problem the only way to fix it was to open it up and have you sign in when your chosen. they have enough time to fix the issue we had

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #444 on: October 20, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »

I agree! I keep thinking: what if Queue-it can't handle the load of people opening multiple tabs or sessions, and the waiting room crashes during the sale? >_< Worst-case scenario, ha ha.

Unfortunately, this is the biggest challenge.

Queue-It is what's used to handle the load to a targeted page. Most often this is used, as an example, to manage the traffic going to that particular page...think Hotelpocalypse.  Of particular note is that Hotelpocalypse also doesn't require a login.

In order for Configio to be able to manage the load of logging in, the Queue-It queue would have to come *before* logging in.  I don't see that happening.

I think it'll change next RetReg much like it was in the olden days...everyone will get their own unique link.  That'll help w/the logging in challenge, and we'll be told, as before, to not share. Then it'll work as in prior years.

If they (Configio) are trying to do the whole log in first...that's gonna be the big challenge.

All very good points! I also agree that it would be a challenge, so you may be on to something about going back to having one unique link per person to log into the waiting room. (Actually I'm kind of surprised they didn't try that this time, ha ha! It worked out well in the past...)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2022, 09:52:17 PM »
Y’know what would’ve been nice? If CCI sent out a statement at least acknowledging the issues that occurred last Saturday and are taking steps to address the problems before Open Reg. Their last tweet regarding badges was that Thursday was sold out, and after that, all their tweets are about Storytelling Across Media at the Comic-Con Museum.

It’s slightly frustrating and annoying that they are publicly silent. But then, they’ve always been like this.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #446 on: October 22, 2022, 04:27:59 AM »
I see Open Reg as being no different. Everyone in the world (with a CCI ID) can participate in Open Reg, so I see them pushing out a general link that just puts you in a queue.  When you get in, that's when you put in your deets and it validates.  I don't think that they force a log in at this point for OR.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #447 on: October 22, 2022, 04:38:40 AM »
That’s my expectation too.

Offline Sakura17

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #448 on: October 22, 2022, 09:17:31 AM »
Y’know what would’ve been nice? If CCI sent out a statement at least acknowledging the issues that occurred last Saturday and are taking steps to address the problems before Open Reg. Their last tweet regarding badges was that Thursday was sold out, and after that, all their tweets are about Storytelling Across Media at the Comic-Con Museum.

It’s slightly frustrating and annoying that they are publicly silent. But then, they’ve always been like this.

Yes, I'm waiting for them to respond back about preview night wait list. I contacted them via contact us on their main page. I really wish they would address those issues before posting more info on storytelling across media. Maybe we should just comment on those for them to respond back to us.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #449 on: October 22, 2022, 11:47:48 AM »
I see Open Reg as being no different. Everyone in the world (with a CCI ID) can participate in Open Reg, so I see them pushing out a general link that just puts you in a queue.  When you get in, that's when you put in your deets and it validates.  I don't think that they force a log in at this point for OR.

I agree.  What they have now works.  Why would they risk another mishap for little benefit?  Open registration is open to all.  There is no reason to limit anyone.

Also, since we all know how it works now, everyone should be prepared to do their best to improve their odds.  Get into the queue as many times as you can.