Author Topic: SDCC 2023 Pro Registration  (Read 11291 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: SDCC 2023 Pro Registration
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2022, 03:23:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My friend is still waiting for a response also - I tried open reg also just in case, but struck out so I am hoping my friend gets a Pro Badge and that I can get at least a paid Guest Badge - if she doesn't get approved - we will miss comic-con for the first time in about 30 years (with the exception of the missed covid years) - definitely fortunate to have that long of a run and experiencing all of the changes during that time.

You beat me in tenure, but I've been going since 2000, which is no small feat.  If I don't get approved, I won't be able to go at all.  I don't know anyone else with a Pro badge to go as a guest.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 09:28:14 AM »
FWIW I checked some records and saw that when I applied for Pro status I was approved on Nov. 7 (a Thursday evening in 2019) which was about 10 days before Open Registration that year.

Just wanted to let folks know that early (ish) November for Pro application responses for CCI is right on track based on past practices.  I think it's a bit unfortunate that they haven't let everyone know until AFTER all 2023 badge sales have occurred but no one ever said everything CCI does is 100% logical  :P

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:41:37 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
People who've bought Pro badges for next year:

Did you have to buy them for yourself, or did you ONLY have to pay for the Guest Badge (meaning, you were free, your Guest cost the $300+).  I'd love to hear that answer as well as what you do as a Pro (comic creator, behind-the-scenes person, educator, etc).

I've heard some interesting anomalies from some fellow Pros, with some being free and some having to pay, and I'm curious if either 1) there was a mistake somewhere and/or 2) some Pros are free and some pay in full.  No complaints from me to be sure, just curious what the deal is; this is only my 2nd SDCC as a Pro and going through the process previously was 3 years ago and my memory is a bit hazy  :P

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
  • If anyone asks, say it fell from the sky.
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »
It could be from the way pro status was done before it was converged under one hat, i.e., trade versus creative. In the past, trade professionals had to buy their badges (guests included) and creative professionals were given a complimentary badge for themselves and two paid guest badges. Free guest badges went to a limited number of creative professionals in a lottery system.

Did you have to buy them for yourself, or did you ONLY have to pay for the Guest Badge (meaning, you were free, your Guest cost the $300+).  I'd love to hear that answer as well as what you do as a Pro (comic creator, behind-the-scenes person, educator, etc).

I've heard some interesting anomalies from some fellow Pros, with some being free and some having to pay, and I'm curious if either 1) there was a mistake somewhere and/or 2) some Pros are free and some pay in full.  No complaints from me to be sure, just curious what the deal is; this is only my 2nd SDCC as a Pro and going through the process previously was 3 years ago and my memory is a bit hazy  :P
"We know a little about a lot of things, just enough to make us dangerous."
SDCC 07-13, 15, 16, 18-21, 22 | SDCC SE 21 | WC 12-23 | LC&E 12

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2022, 03:09:03 PM »
It could be from the way pro status was done before it was converged under one hat, i.e., trade versus creative. In the past, trade professionals had to buy their badges (guests included) and creative professionals were given a complimentary badge for themselves and two paid guest badges. Free guest badges went to a limited number of creative professionals in a lottery system.

I’m curious if anyone here got a free Pro badge this year.  I know a few who did, all of the same category (NOT ‘creative’ professionals), and without wanting to rock-the-boat so to speak I don’t want to get into too many details.  We’re trying to figure out if CCI made a mistake this year with Pros, or if they changed their policy for whom got free badges.  Again, I hate to be vague, but I sincerely don’t want to start something publicly that messes things up for folks who went from “I saved $300+ bucks in CCI badges” and now have to pay because I opened my dumb mouth 😬
If anyone got a free badge, please DM me

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 01:51:10 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I think it's similar to what I was saying. Pro badges are now under one-hat, just pro badge, i.e., one category. They've expanded qualifications to include teachers, so now "Pro" status is given to creative, trade, and teacher under one pro badge. But I don't think the free ones are mistake or anomalous. I think they would continue to give the complimentary ones to creative pros, which makes sense. Unless you're saying pros who are not creatives got free badges. Then it's probably a lottery, which feels sort of unfair but makes sense why the free badges are random. I started with a trade badge a long time ago and then got my creative status a few years before they switched the system. I'm not sure what's happening now, but that's my guess. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you or if I'm restating what you already know.

I’m curious if anyone here got a free Pro badge this year.  I know a few who did, all of the same category (NOT ‘creative’ professionals), and without wanting to rock-the-boat so to speak I don’t want to get into too many details.  We’re trying to figure out if CCI made a mistake this year with Pros, or if they changed their policy for whom got free badges.  Again, I hate to be vague, but I sincerely don’t want to start something publicly that messes things up for folks who went from “I saved $300+ bucks in CCI badges” and now have to pay because I opened my dumb mouth 😬
If anyone got a free badge, please DM me

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »
Is anyone still waiting for a Pro Status approval that had to apply or renew?

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
Is anyone still waiting for a Pro Status approval that had to apply or renew?

I am.  Are you?

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2022, 11:08:49 AM »
I am.  Are you?

My close friend is still waiting for renewal - I am hoping that if she gets approved she will be allocated at least a paid guest option - I struck out on both returning reg and open reg this time.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2022, 12:47:15 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I think it's similar to what I was saying. Pro badges are now under one-hat, just pro badge, i.e., one category. They've expanded qualifications to include teachers, so now "Pro" status is given to creative, trade, and teacher under one pro badge. But I don't think the free ones are mistake or anomalous. I think they would continue to give the complimentary ones to creative pros, which makes sense. Unless you're saying pros who are not creatives got free badges. Then it's probably a lottery, which feels sort of unfair but makes sense why the free badges are random. I started with a trade badge a long time ago and then got my creative status a few years before they switched the system. I'm not sure what's happening now, but that's my guess. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you or if I'm restating what you already know.

Yeah, I'm trying to tiptoe around the issue, and that's my fault for being a bit vague.  Yes, I'm saying at least a couple non-creative Pros (teachers) got free Pro badges, and that wasn't the case in 2019 for 2020(2022).  And I'm curious if other Pros have experienced that, if these teacher colleagues got 'lucky'/mistake, if some Pros did not get this and either got unlucky or THAT was the mistake, etc. 
This is only my second 'cycle' as a Pro (teacher), and I've not paid attention to this kind of thing much until fall 2019.  So much has obviously happened since then, I honestly don't know what's maybe changed, what's not changed and I'm just not aware, etc.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2022, 12:48:35 PM »
My close friend is still waiting for renewal - I am hoping that if she gets approved she will be allocated at least a paid guest option - I struck out on both returning reg and open reg this time.
Uncomfortable question:
Does CCI send out rejection emails; has anyone applied to be a Pro and gotten a rejection email from them, or does CCI blow that off and only send out acceptance emails?  :-X

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 09:34:15 AM »

I have one free pro badge for 2023. I also have two paid guest badges for 2023. I registered as a pro for the first time as an art teacher in, I believe 2019. 2023 is my last year for that initial registration and I've had a free pro badge for myself every year since I registered.
I don't remember what my allocation was for guests in 2019.

Offline pyxidis

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2022, 12:37:14 PM »
*checks email for the gazillionth time*

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2022, 02:45:39 PM »
Are people still waiting for confirmation if they got approved or denied for Pro Status?

Offline flyt2b0ston

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »
I received an approval email, looks like they're moving through the applications