Author Topic: Changes to Terms and Conditions  (Read 14099 times)

Offline Ab3tt3r2morrow

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
Re: Changes to Terms and Conditions
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
I'm sure CCI will issue a notice prior to issuing our badges with the RFID-imbedded tech, cautioning that the RFID is vulnerable to moisture and that these function within a set temperature range. My newly-issued passport has these warnings (and even to double-check it doesn't get thrown in the hamper when you toss in your travel clothes, then inadvertantly into the washer and dryer). Anyway, because one can never be too safe, please don't let your badges get wet. Don't let them be exposed to too high or too low a temperature. In other words, don't perspire and stay in surroundings with controlled climate. Both pretty much unrealistic expectations.

I'm considering a scenario wherein CCI tries to check a legitimate badge and because the RFID isn't properly functioning that the badge-holder is put through the ringer. Maybe it could even be grounds to deem the badge fraudulent, and the attendee's day goes downhill from there  :(

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm considering a scenario wherein CCI tries to check a legitimate badge and because the RFID isn't properly functioning that the badge-holder is put through the ringer. Maybe it could even be grounds to deem the badge fraudulent, and the attendee's day goes downhill from there  :(

Let's hope there are multiple security measures put in place so that if one fails that there is another option to validate. I think that's just the worst case scenario.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 05:50:28 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
I'm sure CCI will issue a notice prior to issuing our badges with the RFID-imbedded tech, cautioning that the RFID is vulnerable to moisture and that these function within a set temperature range. My newly-issued passport has these warnings (and even to double-check it doesn't get thrown in the hamper when you toss in your travel clothes, then inadvertantly into the washer and dryer). Anyway, because one can never be too safe, please don't let your badges get wet. Don't let them be exposed to too high or too low a temperature. In other words, don't perspire and stay in surroundings with controlled climate. Both pretty much unrealistic expectations.

That's quite a valid point.  RFID technology in the CCI badges aren't exactly weather-proof or damage-proof (daily convention wear and tear, much like how the lanyards are), so there may be cases at the convention this year where people pulled aside, despite having their actual names on their badges.

I would hope that CCI has some sort of back-up plan to prevent anything like that from happening to the attendee in question.  I would think that having the confirmation e-mail and photo ID would at least help with any problems that may arise from faulty RFID chips.

(Ha ha, kvthai beat me to the reply.  Anyways, yes, same idea.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Ab3tt3r2morrow

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
Let's hope there are multiple security measures put in place so that if one fails that there is another option to validate. I think that's just the worst case scenario.

Be prepared. We're getting used to new ways of doing things. What we once knew and got comfortable with, to the point of complacency, is being re-tooled. I don't want one of us to be the cautionary tale. Odds are, some unfortunate person could suffer who may not have come properly armed with the right intel. As I said, hopefully CCI will educate us as regards this.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
We'll just have to see what happens. At least whatever happens to anyone won't be unique.... lots of people are bound the have the same problem.

Offline Real Canadian superDAVE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
Having read Mario's article on this topic over at "When Nerds Attack", I want to thank him for referring to the badge check as being required to provide your "Show Me". TV geeks such as myself can certainly appreciate that bit of humour.

Maybe they should consider putting that added heading right on the badge? Then possibly a lot of folks would get right into the fun of it and forget to complain.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
Having read Mario's article on this topic over at "When Nerds Attack", I want to thank him for referring to the badge check as being required to provide your "Show Me". TV geeks such as myself can certainly appreciate that bit of humour.

Maybe they should consider putting that added heading right on the badge? Then possibly a lot of folks would get right into the fun of it and forget to complain.

In other words, put it on the backside of the badge where the short version of the terms and conditions are?  Hm, maybe they should consider something like that.  They would certainly be able to tell anyone arguing over it to simply turn over the badge and read the fine print.

[I think I sense a "Fringe" reference in there! ;p Ha ha.]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
Thought there was already a disclosure on the back?
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
Thought there was already a disclosure on the back?

There is, but it could use some updating to reflect the new terms and conditions though...  (Hopefully, it's already an aspect of badge printing that they're already keeping in mind, ha ha.)

Offline Real Canadian superDAVE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
The Beat gives their take on Comic-Con's "Show Me" policy. (Sorry if I just call it that from here on out.)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
LOL, I saw that! Pretty funny...

The Gossamer

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
When I enter the con I always just hold my badge up clearly for the security goons to see and never had a problem. I just stay polite and let them look at it closely if need be. I never try to rush past because that just red flags you for a closer look. This keeps the goons more at calm.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
I think I mentioned on the cosplay forum that I keep my badge hidden' (inside my cape). But I do the same as you, Gossamer. When I approach a person who is obviously checking for badges I open my cape and show it to them without being asked. I've only ever veen stopped once, and that was a time when they were stopping everyone to scan the badges with black light.

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
The Beat gives their take on Comic-Con's "Show Me" policy. (Sorry if I just call it that from here on out.)

Honestly, preventing the badge sharing itself will make con life a little easier for everyone just by taking some people of the exhibit floor. I'm all for anything that might give us a little more room to navigate.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
Honestly, preventing the badge sharing itself will make con life a little easier for everyone just by taking some people of the exhibit floor. I'm all for anything that might give us a little more room to navigate.

Hear hear!