Author Topic: Discussion re: CCI FB comments (from CCI Posts and Announcements Forum)  (Read 21202 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
I thought Snakes on a Plane was the big example of a movie that went over well at the Con but tanked?

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought Snakes on a Plane was the big example of a movie that went over well at the Con but tanked?

The hype on that movie was so beyond even what it was at SDCC that I don't think you could blame SDCC alone. When it came out, the president of our company gave the entire engineering org the afternoon off and we went as a team to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse with an open bar.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
If you're thinking that Hollywood might pull out or reduce, just repeat to yourself - Avengers is over $1.2b in box office alone. It cost $220m to make and maybe $300m to make and market. That's almost $1b in profit and it is still in theaters.

Hollywood will now ride it as far as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't double down on sdcc.
Trev, your logic here is a little specious seeing as Avengers did not have a major presense at SDCC. Considering that they had no panel there you might think the argument could be made that a quality movie like Avengers will make money with or without a con  appearance. If studios don't see a real financial benefit to the con, they have no incentive to spend their money or time on it.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
Trev, your logic here is a little specious seeing as Avengers did not have a major presense at SDCC. Considering that they had no panel there you might think the argument could be made that a quality movie like Avengers will make money with or without a con  appearance. If studios don't see a real financial benefit to the con, they have no incentive to spend their money or time on it.

Clearly that was the bet. Though Marvel did pimp The Avengers last year pretty heavily even though there wasn't a formal panel.

The important thing to know is that SDCC will factor in studio marketing plans, but I doubt we'll ever reach a phase now where SDCC reception is directly blamed for any success or failure. The Superhero genre is too mainstream now for that to happen.

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
Superhero films have a built in audience for the most part, but what about other films that they push as brand new properties? Sucker Punch looked cool on paper as a con-promoted film. Girls in costumes fighting nazi zombies & Samurai robots? Cool, but in reality even an odd Jon Hamm cameo couldn't save that film.

Avatar did well as a new property if you want a counterpoint, but how many movies really make numbers like that?

If anything, I would think that we could see larger movie studios pull away from sdcc to focus on their own con much like disney's D23 just so they can capitalize on the money being made as well as keep the focus on their studio instead of fighting for attention with everything else.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
If anything, I would think that we could see larger movie studios pull away from sdcc to focus on their own con much like disney's D23 just so they can capitalize on the money being made as well as keep the focus on their studio instead of fighting for attention with everything else.

I think before they start to pull away, we may see things like less free swag or less of the cast there doing promo. Instead, they may try to put up more signage to be more visible but just spend a lot less overall.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

The Gossamer

The hype on that movie was so beyond even what it was at SDCC that I don't think you could blame SDCC alone. When it came out, the president of our company gave the entire engineering org the afternoon off and we went as a team to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse with an open bar.

Day off with free beer and movie! Sign me up at your company! :P

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge

This is an interesting idea. Would the studios ever band together and create their own 'con' or just continue to co-opt SDCC?

There doesn't seem to be a reason to break away from SDCC that I can see. It's close, it happens in the meat of the summer, it has an established name and awareness. Why go try to establish another brand.

With D23 not happening, will Disney make a bigger show than usual now that they own Marvel?

Offline Transmute Jun

This is an interesting idea. Would the studios ever band together and create their own 'con' or just continue to co-opt SDCC?

There doesn't seem to be a reason to break away from SDCC that I can see. It's close, it happens in the meat of the summer, it has an established name and awareness. Why go try to establish another brand.

There would have to be a huge financial incentive for the studios to create their own Con. There's a lot of administrative hassle in place, and CCI takes care of all of that. Also, CCI is (relatively) neutral. If the studios were doing this together, one might feel they were being slighted in favor of another. I agree that it's unlikely the movie studios will make their own Con.

However, it's entirely possible they could migrate to another Con, if that other Con better met their needs. (cost, timing, fanbase, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:25:26 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
However, it's entirely possible they could migrate to another Con, if that other Con better met their needs. (cost, timing, fanbase, etc.)

I can't imagine it. Maybe if they set up that Con in Anaheim and slowly migrate the film stuff there? Maybe putting it in the fall so they can build buzz through the winter and spring rather than being diluted with current films . . .

The more I talk about it, the more I like it.

Offline Transmute Jun

I can't imagine it. Maybe if they set up that Con in Anaheim and slowly migrate the film stuff there? Maybe putting it in the fall so they can build buzz through the winter and spring rather than being diluted with current films . . .

The more I talk about it, the more I like it.

Actually, the traditional time for WonderCon (March/early April) works well for this kind of thing, because a lot of summer movies are released in May and June.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
Actually, the traditional time for WonderCon (March/early April) works well for this kind of thing, because a lot of summer movies are released in May and June.

Yep, that would work too! The only tough part is attracting a big enough crowd when it isn't formally summer. Same prob with the fall.  Maybe move sdcc to late summer and do wonder in the sdcc spot? Clearly the timing needs to work.

Offline Transmute Jun

WonderCon seems to attract a fair number of people, although nowhere as many as SDCC, of course. It's a 3 day 'long weekend' Con, and I think most people can do that as long as they're not flying across the country.

I'm not sure 2 summer Cons would work...?

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
If sdcc were to move from mid july that would create chaos for all of the other comic & pop culture convention organizers world wide. Sdcc is the sleeping giant that nobody wants to disturb lest they wish for misfortune.

Look at what happened when Wizard tried to have a con the same weekend as nycc. There are only so many weeks in a year (52 to be exact) and the main conventions are basically from April-October. If sdcc shifts dates we can expect groans and complaints from almost every level because they too would have to make changes (fans-> vendors -> promoters -> MLB and so on)

Offline Transmute Jun

Well there was a small change this year, to the second week of July (rather than the third week, as it has been for quite a few years and will be next year).