Author Topic: Discussion re: CCI FB comments (from CCI Posts and Announcements Forum)  (Read 21200 times)

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Yeah, and I even thought that was weird.  But moving one week is nowhere near the same as a few months...or even a month.

I agree that part of the appeal of ComicCon is the sensory overload factor.

Extending the days won't help much, in my opinion.  It could dilute the experience, put a strain on retailers AND create more demand.  People would still buy 6 day passes.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
People would still buy 6 day passes.

Not if they don't sell them. :)

Can't buy what you can't get.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
Not if they don't sell them. :)

Can't buy what you can't get.

So are you suggesting that they should extend it but only limit sales to a max of 4 (or other #) days?  Or just limit the # of days already?
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
So are you suggesting that they should extend it but only limit sales to a max of 4 (or other #) days?  Or just limit the # of days already?

Extend to 6 but sell in smaller blocks I would think. But it's not the best idea I've read.

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
The day they tell me they are hosting SDCC but cant even go because i have the first three days is the day i refund my badges.  making people pick one block or the other is suicide.  If things get that bad just host a different convention in place of APE, or better yet put more focus on Wondercon.

Do keep in mind that this is different from those who bought Sat badges not being allowed to buy more days. As they were given full options at one point and chose not to partake at that time.
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
From a business sense... more days simple = more costs and SDCC is only one convention during the year.

I wouldn't have a team of people planning the booth/agenda for a good chunk of time. There are way more important things for businesses/studios to be doing.

I wouldn't spend extra money to have people promote in the same location for an extended period of time.

I would try to consolidate my participation on the day(s) that reach the largest target audience.

I wouldn't bother having a booth on a cheap day if the attendance is so low that I don't make a profit.

From a multiple day perspective... as an attendee

I would try to buy all days or at least on a popular day.

I would need to have good guessing abilities regarding programming

I would spend less with vendors (main source of revenue) due to increased cost of tickets/transportation/housing.

It would be a waste of time to attend on a ghost town type of day.

I would have to choose between hobbies if they separated then to days and I couldn't go all days.

I would have to use more vacation time at work which leaves less time for other things or miss out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
The day they tell me they are hosting SDCC but cant even go because i have the first three days is the day i refund my badges.  making people pick one block or the other is suicide.  If things get that bad just host a different convention in place of APE, or better yet put more focus on Wondercon.

Do keep in mind that this is different from those who bought Sat badges not being allowed to buy more days. As they were given full options at one point and chose not to partake at that time.

this seems fairly draconian, but if that pushes out a bunch of folks, it's probably a good thing.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
From a business sense... more days simple = more costs and SDCC is only one convention during the year.

I wouldn't have a team of people planning the booth/agenda for a good chunk of time. There are way more important things for businesses/studios to be doing.

I wouldn't spend extra money to have people promote in the same location for an extended period of time.

I would try to consolidate my participation on the day(s) that reach the largest target audience.

I wouldn't bother having a booth on a cheap day if the attendance is so low that I don't make a profit.

You assume all of this is malleable for the vendors. It probably wouldn't be. You want the busy days? You come on the slower days. fwiw, there is no longer a real notion of a 'slow' day at SDCC. Once you reach capacity, you're at capacity.

From a multiple day perspective... as an attendee

I would try to buy all days or at least on a popular day.

I would need to have good guessing abilities regarding programming

I think this is a good argument for separating out the programming or selling tix to Hall H/Ballroom 20. That people make their decision about going based on one panel and without that panel consider it a waste is ludicrous to me, but I guess that's the way some behave.

I would spend less with vendors (main source of revenue) due to increased cost of tickets/transportation/housing.

I don't understand this one. Assume all *your* costs remain the same. pushing from 4-6 days doesn't mean anything if they wouldn't segment the population somehow. The goal is to service a larger base, not give the existing base more time there.

It would be a waste of time to attend on a ghost town type of day.

seriously? this doesn't exist at SDCC

I would have to choose between hobbies if they separated then to days and I couldn't go all days.

maybe. choose. nobody guarantees all things are universally available. It pretty much is there in the panel attendance policy.

I would have to use more vacation time at work which leaves less time for other things or miss out.

so then don't go. plenty of others that want your spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
It's probably time to give it up Trev. At this point you're only coming up with new ways to alienate vendors and attendees to justify any benefit to your plan. The CCI organizers can't be looking to switch to a system where they have to strong arm vendors to be there days they don't want or tell people they can't buy passes for days that haven't sold out.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
ok, i soooo want a "thumbs up' button.  (after the con, when i do ver. 2.1)

I couldn't have said it better kevin.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
It's probably time to give it up Trev. At this point you're only coming up with new ways to alienate vendors and attendees to justify any benefit to your plan. The CCI organizers can't be looking to switch to a system where they have to strong arm vendors to be there days they don't want or tell people they can't buy passes for days that haven't sold out.

lol. the funny thing is that it wasn't my plan. :)

I just commented on some momentum that the 'more days' meme seemed to be having.

My plan is to break SDCC into 2-3 different cons that run with a bit of overlap.

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
The bottom line is that SDCC can't grow to accommodate everybody that wants to go and still be all things to everybody. Choices have to be made or people just need to learn to deal with being upset.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
Just keep in mind that people will voice their opinions louder when they're really upset and that people who are happy with the process are less likely to share that opinion so while there is undoubtedly a large # of people who can't get in, I'd say a high percentage of that group is just meh about it but since we have the people who rant and rave and curse making themselves heard, it sounds much more dire than it really is.

I'd say the common reaction from my friends when they've asked about getting badges and being told that they're sold out is, "Damn. That sucks..." and then they talk about something else and they're probably bigger nerds than me.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
I look at the current situation like this, the oversaturation of the schedule is a good thing. People being forced to make choices about which panel they will go to is the only thing that keeps the lines somewhat managable. If the programming schedule  was more spread out over a longer period all of the popular panels would be even more of a nightmare. The level of complaints we see now would be nothing compared to that nightmare.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
At the end of the day stop trying to change SDCC to better suit YOUR needs or the needs of the whiners upset that they did not get badges. The system works well and only needs minor changes to fix bugs that pop up.  If you really feel there should be more convention time i suggest you make your own Con.  I have a friend at work who has been doing this for the past year, getting rental rates, contacting people to be guest, and looking for sponsors.  Its major work it sucks but you will get a better feel for what goes into CCIs daily job. 

You say this about serving a bigger fan base yet not once have i seen you suggest that those unable to go to SDCC try for WonderCon.  Its hosted by CCI also and is often said to be just like SDCC was before it went "mainstream".  Also i am sorry but all those people b***hing about Badges, needing to move to a new convention center, or making major changes to SDCC's format are not "fans".  Fans are loyal, grateful, and understanding.  Fans are fans because the LIKE something not because they want to change something just to they can partake.

A final thought on the subject of changing major events.  Ever wonder why there is only ONE Superbowl? How about a famous singer they do one show and move along.  Heck even a small circus only comes to town for a week.  These are events that sell because of the package they offer. People buy into an event and expect a certain level of return from it. Diluting and event just to bring in more people does nothing be diminish was the event not enhance it. They dont clear out the Superbowl at half time so they can bring in a new round of people, singers dont kick you out half way though a set.  When you are ready to talk about enhancing SDCC come back and talk i will be all ears. Keep trying to diminish, dilute, or pervert it and i will go Gandalf on you....YOU SHALE NOT PASS
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish