Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Badge Distribution  (Read 47056 times)

Offline korramom

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
SDCC 2017 Badge Distribution
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
So now that badges are being mailed ahead of time, does that mean there is no longer a strategy to picking up badges at T&C or at the convention center on Wednesday?  Can I throw out all the old advice that accumulated previously about all of that??!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:05:31 PM by Devorah »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: Badge Distribution
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:25:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So now that badges are being mailed ahead of time, does that mean there is no longer a strategy to picking up badges at T&C or at the convention center on Wednesday?  Can I throw out all the old advice that accumulated previously about all of that??!

Thanks!

The answer in a nutshell: Yes.

If the badge was legitimately lost in the mail (and if you're at a domestic American address), they may be able to replace your lost badge at their discretion on-site.  Otherwise, the badges are being mailed out now.  However, with the mailing system, only international attendees can pick up their badges in person on-site.

From the Toucan blog regarding international badge pick-up at Comic-Con 2016:
International attendees may pick up their Comic-Con badge the day before their badge date. For example, if you have a Saturday badge, you will be allowed to pick up your badge on Friday. All 4-Day badges, with or without Preview Night, will be ready for pick up starting Wednesday. If you decide to pick up your badge a day early, we recommend that you arrive in the afternoon to avoid potential lines in the morning.

Hope that helps!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC 2017 Badge Distribution
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:09:57 AM »

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:33 PM »

Thanks!

I think you are a year behind. They mailed all badges (except international) last year (2016) and there was no pick up at the T&C. All badge pick-ups on site were located in the Marriott Marquis & Marina. There is a new addition with several new ballrooms that were being used. We had a lost badge and had no problems getting a new one with our print out when we arrived. The crowds were low and it was very quick. Expect the same this year.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »
You will also need to register a child on site (if they qualify for a free child badge) even if your badge is sent in the mail.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »
I was reading through the badge registration barcode confirmation email and noticed this:(see bold section particularly)  Does this mean we have to have our real name on badges? And...is this new or did I just not see it before?  I thought you could put any name you wanted on your badge.

BADGE PURCHASE TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

"SDCC may perform any of the following validation of badges on entry to any area of the convention.  These measures are an effort to prevent illegal badge duplication and unauthorized reselling.  SDCC may scan a barcode, require a photo ID that matches the name on the badge, scan RFID embedded in the badge, and examine the badge with other technological and/or physical methods to verify authenticity of the badge and holder.  Before leaving any registration area please make sure that the name on the badge matches your identification."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:36:03 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
Not sure if it was that exact wording but yes it has always been that way and you have always been required to put your real name on it.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
Yes, it's always been required to be your real name and to match the ID you used to pick it up. Now that you don't have to pick it up anymore, they're just reminding us that they can do ID spot-checks.

I've never seen anyone walking around with a badge with an obviously fake name on it. Some people do cover the names on their badges for privacy, but with something removable in case CCI needs to verify them.

The Gossamer

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
Not sure if it was that exact wording but yes it has always been that way and you have always been required to put your real name on it.

This is true except waaay back in earlier con times you could put any silly nickname you wanted.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
This is true except waaay back in earlier con times you could put any silly nickname you wanted.
Yep, back in "the day" you got a blank badge and wrote whatever name you liked on it. Long gone though, the day
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »
Back when we had to create Member IDs, I was one of the first people to be able to do it (because I had pre-registered at the con for the next year, and we were required to make member IDs before they opened up to the 'public'). I thought that they might put the Member IDs on the badge, so I rushed to get the name I wanted.

Turns out it didn't matter. Sigh... I still hope that one day they might put the Member ID on the badge instead of your name. I always have to cover up my name, and it's a PITA.

The Gossamer

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I thought the same thing too TJ. I chose my member id the same way. Too bad it was never used in that way.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »

Do you remember how far that goes back?  I vaguely remember in early 00s you could at least put a "nickname" of whatever you wanted. 
Of course, long before the days that badge scalping existed (or known sellouts)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »
Back when we had to create Member IDs, I was one of the first people to be able to do it (because I had pre-registered at the con for the next year, and we were required to make member IDs before they opened up to the 'public'). I thought that they might put the Member IDs on the badge, so I rushed to get the name I wanted.

Turns out it didn't matter. Sigh... I still hope that one day they might put the Member ID on the badge instead of your name. I always have to cover up my name, and it's a PITA.

This was the last year of onsite Pre-Reg, right?  I remember that, though I didn't get fancy with my Member ID (wanted to keep it simple to remember)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
This was the last year of onsite Pre-Reg, right?  I remember that, though I didn't get fancy with my Member ID (wanted to keep it simple to remember)

Yeah, that was the year I joined the pre-reg line at 3 am. But I got 4 days + PN!

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: SDCC Badge Distribution
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
Forum housekeeping:

Edited to add "SDCC 2017" to thread title.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:05:49 PM by Devorah »